User Avatar Image

55% Lack Compassion...

posted by chaz99 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

I was wondering why such a high % refused to let Irene have the gun and take her own life, knowing what was ahead for her.

Most interested in the ideas/opinions of those who refused to give her the gun, but all input welcome, as it should be.

Discuss and explain.

86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I didn't do it because I didn't want to waste a bullet, make a loud noise, upset group members, and because I didn't really care much about Irene.

• @Platinumb said: She expressed Christian views and a desire to not kill others; I don't think there was really need to worry that she would turn the gun on Lee or his companions.

I don't see how religion comes into it, at least not in the way you're saying. This being the southern US, most of the characters in the game would probably identify as Christian, good or bad. And her dialogue seemed to be more about a fear of becoming a walker ("they're... Satanic") than specifically a fear of hurting others. (I mean, she would be hurting people more by shooting herself than by locking herself back up where she was. The loud noises would draw more walkers and make it harder for them to get out safely, and at this point there aren't many other survivors in Macon to worry about hurting...)

I refused to give her the gun because she was clearly unstable. Even on my first playthrough I got the impression that Irene was one harebrained "epiphany" from turning her suicide attempt into a murder-suicide. After all, if the walkers are Satanic monsters, and nobody has a real chance of surviving them, she would be doing us a favor by killing us before she did herself in. (On my second playthrough, the similarities between Irene and Jolene didn't do much to assuage that feeling.) I was expecting to have Lee take the shot himself, so I was surprised when he took my refusal as a moral stand against euthanasia. :confused:

@Platinumb said: I don't think I lacked compassion when I spared her life. Ideally, the survivors could have believed there was still a chance to save her. It's the same way Rick in the comics tried to to save the lives of Allen and Dale. Even when Rick saw that amputation may not work from failing to save Allen, he still did it when the same thing happened to Dale and it saved his life.

To me it was clear there was no chance of her surviving, even if we did know to lop off her arm at that point. She already looked very, very sick, like she was already a zombie. I think she was holed up in that hotel room for quite awhile after her boyfriend (presumably) bit her. I was half-afraid she would turn while we were arguing about what to do with her.

• Keep in mind we as players know there's no cure. However, some of us like to play "in character" which means we don't know if there's a cure or not. So I decided that not giving her a gun was a realistic thing for Lee to do.

• @double_u said: Keep in mind we as players know there's no cure. However, some of us like to play "in character" which means we don't know if there's a cure or not. So I decided that not giving her a gun was a realistic thing for Lee to do.

I thought this too, it makes more sense for the Lee character not to give her gun.

• Kenny said it best: “You don’t just end it because it’s hard.”

Besides, I don’t believe in suicide.

• @Rock114 said: What really stinks is that we really COULD have used that bullet Irene killed herself with. If Carley had had just ONE more bullet in the drug store (the one Irene used on herself), she might have been able to shoot the zombie grabbing her ankle, while Lee went to save Doug. Then we would have had both of them with us!

But I guess someone in the group had to die, in order to forge a closer bond between Lee and the one he saved (from a writing point of view, at least). Plus I'm probably over-analyzing the whole situation.

Actually just before the pharmacy gets swarmed you can see Carley reloading her gun with a new clip from her purse, so she went into battle with a fully loaded gun.

All though that's an interesting observation. Maybe next season Telltale will play something like that up. Where if you use your bullets to mercy kill people you'll run out at a crucial moment.

@Rock114 said: This scene made me think of the movie The Mist. I still gave her the gun.

It reminded me more of that scene from the Dawn of the Dead remake where they find out someone is bitten. Except in this case it seemed like Irene had already gone through all that waiting with her boyfriend and didn't want to wait for her own number to be up.

That said, Telltale should make a game about the Mist. That story was all about human drama and people turning on each other. It'd be right up their alley. :D

• I didn't even think about it. I gave her the gun as soon as I could.
    I kept the fact that everybody is going to turn in a walker in the back of my head. I can totally imagine that you'd rather just die than be a walker.

• Never give an unstable person a gun is my advice. That's why I held onto the gun.

• @Sutinen said: Never give an unstable person a gun is my advice. That's why I held onto the gun.

Fair enough...
    Well there's another one for my regrets list :)

• At the time, barely a few days into this apocalypse, the characters have no idea how widespread this situation is. For all they know there could be a cure already, or in progress. What we as players know shouldn't have anything to do with it.

In that situation, Glenn is entirely correct in saying you can't give up. Maybe if it were later in the apocalypse where they knew what was going on, but that early? No.

Add Comment