User Avatar Image

55% Lack Compassion...

posted by chaz99 on - last edited - Viewed by 915 users

I was wondering why such a high % refused to let Irene have the gun and take her own life, knowing what was ahead for her.

Most interested in the ideas/opinions of those who refused to give her the gun, but all input welcome, as it should be.

Discuss and explain.

86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sutinen said: Never give an unstable person a gun is my advice. That's why I held onto the gun.

Ditto. Like I said earlier in the thread, I kinda saw the choice as "do you want Lee to earn a Darwin Award? Yes/No"; my Lee said hell no.

I much would've preferred an option to mercy-kill her myself. That I possibly would've done. Giving us the option to shoot her ourselves also puts the choice in starker contrast, give her the gun or not; Lee's hands are still relatively clean in the whole affair.

@Sutinen said: At the time, barely a few days into this apocalypse, the characters have no idea how widespread this situation is. For all they know there could be a cure already, or in progress. What we as players know shouldn't have anything to do with it.

In that situation, Glenn is entirely correct in saying you can't give up. Maybe if it were later in the apocalypse where they knew what was going on, but that early? No.

We know that atleast Atlanta and likely Savannah have pretty much gone down the crapper right from the get-go (Atlanta from Shawn, Savannah from the answering machine at Clem's house). We see Macon itself; which is basically the midway point between those two cities. That's a pretty big clue right off the bat that the infection is atleast statewide.

Even if I thought there was a cure despite all of that, I know Irene's not going to live long enough to see it.

• She was emotionally unstable because she knew she'd been bitten...If someone has been bitten and asks you to shoot them you do it, otherwisetheir last moments are thinking about being a danger to other people, knowing that they're letting themselves be turned into a monster, and a tremendous amount of bodily suffering...Not shooting them to conserve ammo is pretty monstrous and not shooting them because you still have irrational hope for them is not heroic or merciful...

• I gave her the gun with almost no hesitation. Silly me. I dunno, just wanted to help.

• It was the beginning of the apocalypse, we didn't know how bad things were until the second episode.

• At the first time when I was playing, I just had no time to decide

• I said no because I was afraid if she had the gun she might have chosen to shoot us (as in Lee, Carley and Glenn).

• @LauriNicole said: I said no because I was afraid if she had the gun she might have chosen to shoot us (as in Lee, Carley and Glenn).

I wasn't really worried about that since she had gone out of her way to stay out of everyone else's way, only coming out after Lee was literally knocking her door down. All because she didn't want to hurt anyone after she came back as a walker.

She didn't really strike me as crazy either. Suicidally depressed (for good reason) and a bit hysterical, but not crazy. She seemed well aware of what was going on and was even trying to warn Glenn and the others to leave her alone. I was more worried about her getting desperate and following us if we didn't let her kill herself.

As for the whole "it was the early days we don't know if she's really going to die." Between Larry making a big deal about bites and Irene explaining how she saw first hand how her boyfriend got sick, died and reanimated after being bitten, I was pretty much sold on bites being death sentences.

• Still, the St. John's... the group trusted them and we all know what happened then.

I just don't trust my weapons with a stranger. People die. I wish there was an option for Lee to shoot her himself- I would have chosen that.

• @LauriNicole said: Still, the St. John's... the group trusted them and we all know what happened then.

I just don't trust my weapons with a stranger. People die. I wish there was an option for Lee to shoot her himself- I would have chosen that.

This is a good idea. Plus, it could also lead to some interesting conversation choices afterwards, with group members agreeing or disagreeing with what you did and forming opinions of you that could come back and affect the game.

• @LauriNicole said: Still, the St. John's... the group trusted them and we all know what happened then.

I didn't trust the St. Johns. Hell, I thought they were suspicious from the moment they introduced themselves. Casually strolling up to a hotel of well armed people and calmly asking for gas like a neighbor wanting some sugar while Carley pointed her gun at them.

Even the most well meaning people are going to be more defensive when encountering armed strangers during an zombie apocalypse. Like Carley yelling at the St. John's to back off when she first saw them, or how Ben and Travis are afraid of Kenny, Lee and Mark when they first meet them.

Mark pissed me off when he decided everyone should come to the dairy, especially after all the probing questions the St. Johns asked. After Mark got hit I wanted everyone to leave. If they didn't tell us about Bandits they probably aren't telling us about a lot of other things. If they want to trade gas for food we can do it on a deal by deal business but there's no need for the whole group to be at the dairy. Lilly really annoyed me how she kept saying she wanted to leave, but didn't do shit about it.

Add Comment