User Avatar Image

Sam and Max Error when I try to run the games (disc version) - now with patch!

posted by tim1986 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Hello. I purchased the Sam and Max DVD and installed the game. I get this error:
"SamMax101.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

For more information about this error, click here."

When I click "click here." it says:
"Error signature

AppName: sammax101.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: sammax101.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 08f0b16

To view technical information about the error report, click here."

When I click "click here" it says:
"The following information about your process will be reported:

........(the error info, I'm not going to write all that)

The following files will be included in this error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\b13f_appcompat.txt"

The contents of that file is:
"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
"

My system specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
1.80 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extention
Windows XP Media Center Edition

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Heh, I like how in the middle of all that programming garble, there's:

"© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." XD

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll depart from this thread, as someone more knowledgable can arrive to tell you just what's wrong.

• What service pack are you using with XP? Also what video card do you have?

Do you get the error if you launch any of the other episodes, or just Culture Shock?

• I'm using XP service pack 2. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE. None of the episodes are working for me.

• Okay, Service Pack 2 is good, and the video card should be okay too.

Could you try downloading one of the episodes from our website and see if that works or if you get the same error? That might help us narrow down what's causing the problem.

• The Culture Shock demo works. So, what is the problem?

• Hmm, well, apparently there's a difference in the coding between the demo version and the DVD version of Culture Shock that's causing the error. What this difference could be, I haven't a clue. But as a first step I would recommend closing as many open applications as possible using taskmanager, and seeing if that helps. It's not much, but it's a start.

• Tim, now try launching episode 2 (or another one) from the DVD launcher. Do you get the same error then?

I'm lame, you already said this didn't work.

Well, the problem is either changes we made in the new versions or that your computer's having trouble with the SecuROM activation. At this point I'm not sure which is more likely. Next week I will try to get you access to an updated version of the game that does not use SecuROM so we can figure out what the culprit is. (We are moving out of the office today, so it's really hectic.)

• Hi,
    I'm using Linux and had a lot fun playing Sam&Max with Wine!
    I bought the Season One DVD but now I'm not able to play it, because Wine does not support Securom Games :( Is it possible that I can also get a *non Securom* Version of the Binary?

PS: sorry for my bad english :)

• Yeah, I searched on Google about SecuROM and many people seem to be having some problems with it. But it's hard to say how many really are having problems, and if they're really having a legitimate problem. But, if what I saw was any indication, you're definately going to need a version without SecuROM to give out in special situations.

• I'm having the same problem.

My system is an IBM ThinkPad T60 w/Dual Core Centrino 2.0, 2GB of RAM, and a Mobility Radeon X1400.

Add Comment