Menu
User Avatar Image

Sam and Max Error when I try to run the games (disc version) - now with patch!

posted by tim1986 on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

Hello. I purchased the Sam and Max DVD and installed the game. I get this error:
"SamMax101.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

For more information about this error, click here."

When I click "click here." it says:
"Error signature

AppName: sammax101.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: sammax101.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 08f0b16

To view technical information about the error report, click here."

When I click "click here" it says:
"The following information about your process will be reported:

........(the error info, I'm not going to write all that)

The following files will be included in this error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\b13f_appcompat.txt"

The contents of that file is:
"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
"

My system specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
1.80 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extention
Windows XP Media Center Edition

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm having the same problem as everyone else in this thread. The dvd installs fine but when I try to start one of the episodes I get the error message:
    SamMax10x.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. etc.

I have played all the downloaded episodes so it has to be something wrong with the dvd.

And to answer AnimanFan: No, the cursor never turns into a spinning CD icon. Just a cursor with an hourglass for a sec or two and then the error message.

My specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra
    Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeMusic
    Corsair 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM
    ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
    Western Digital Raptor 150 GB
    Windows XP SP2

• User Avatar Image
    Seg

ATTENTION EVERYONE HAVING THIS ISSUE:

We're talking to the SecuROM people to try and get on top with this issue, but we need some help. They need an analysis file from the people having problems. Below are the instructions on getting the file and where to send it. For the sake of unified reports, we're going to stick to Episode One. The problem is effecting all the episodes, so if we get one we should get them all.

[quote][LIST=1][*]Make sure the original "Sam & Max Season One" disc is in a physical, local CD or DVD drive.
    [*]Re-start your computer (the reboot is to assure that there are no additional instances of the software running when generating the file).
    [*]With your mouse, right-click on the start menu shortcut for Episode One. (Start -> All Programs -> Telltale Games -> Sam and Max - Season One -> Episode 1 - Culture Shock). A menu will appear.
    [*]Choose 'Launch Analysis' from the menu.
    [*]A disclaimer window may appear on your screen. To proceed click 'Yes'. Another window may appear stating that an analysis log will be generated, if so click 'OK'. If any error messages appear, click 'Cancel' to continue.
    [*]After a period of time, the program will generate a file named 'AnalysisLog.sr0' and place it at the root of your hard drive (usually C:). When the file has been generated, a dialog may appear stating it has finished. Click 'OK' to complete the process. To locate it go to 'My Computer' and open your hard drive (usually C:).
    Vista Users, see note below.
    [*]Please compress the file using a program such as WinZip, WinRAR, or WinAce (to avoid email corruption), and attach it to your email to support@securom.com.
    [/list]

Vista Users:
    Follow the steps outlined above through step 6. Using Vista the filed will be stored in the following path: 'C:\Users\?YOUR USER?\AppData\Local\Temp\AnalysisLog.sr0'. If by chance this folder is hidden, you may have to display hidden folders. To do so, please follow these steps:
    1. Go to 'Start' and left-click on 'Control Panel'.
    2. Left-click on 'Appearance and Personalization'. Then select 'Folder Options'.
    3. Now select the 'View' tab, then select 'Show hidden files and folders'. You should now have access to the folder.

[/quote]

Thanks everyone for helping us out!

• No need to copy support@telltalegames.com on these emails, but if you want to post here that you've sent your log to SecuROM, that'll help us keep track of how many people are affected by this problem. Thanks!

• I sent a log to SecuROM and they sent me a new executable for one of the episodes that worked perfectly. The copy protection on the exe they sent me is version 7.00.00.0003 and the one on the dvd is 7.00.00.0016 so apparently there is something with the newer version that doesn't like my system.

I only received a new exe for episode five so the other episodes still don't work. But at least it's verified that the newer SecuROM protection is flawed.

I think I'll just download the episodes from your site again and burn them to a cd as a backup instead of this dvd.

• So now we know what the issue is with are Telltale going to issue a temporary patch? It seems to be affecting a lot of people, myself included, it's really unfortunate. :(

• User Avatar Image
    Seg

Still waiting on word back from SecuROM. We don't even know what the problem or solution is yet.

Anubis67: Could you PM me a copy of the e-mail SecuROM sent you? Just the text is fine. Thanks!

• User Avatar Image
    Seg

Good News: We got fixes back from SecurROM!

Not-so-good news: Everyone support and myself, are not in the state of California. This means we won't be able to test and package up the bits till Monday. Most are at PAX, I'm back home in Michigan for the weekend.

I'll need to test things when I'm back in the office Monday, then we'll be putting out a nifty little installer to patch things up. We should have it up by Monday afternoon (PST). Thanks for baring with us!

• Ya i got same message too But mine is from a PC cd-rom disc bought from a store not the web site what can i do about it?

• That's great news, well done for getting on the problem so quickly.

• User Avatar Image
    Seg

So... we don't have a fix right now. The drop we got last Friday ended up not working, so the SecuROM folks are back to the drawing board to get the proper fix.

Believe me, everyone here wishes this fix was done as much as you all do. Again, thank you everyone for your understanding and I'll keep you updated as the situation progresses.

Add Comment