User Avatar Image

Larry - a better understanding

posted by MaconMajr on - last edited - Viewed by 746 users

When I come to play Episode 2, no matter what I will try to save Larry.
Not just for the sake of my secret, but for another reason...

When I began working retail, I was partnered with an elderly man named Don, a Vietnam war vet and a diabetic. The team leaders paired us cause we were a lot alike; not very social and we kept to ourselves. At times, I got angry with him cause no matter how hard I tried to fill the sales floor, Don believed I could do better. Yet, dispite the pain from being diabetic, we had a friendship, give or take.

Then one day, he passed away. That was a year ago. A man with whom I've worked with for about seven years was gone. It hit me very hard, in all the time I knew him I was angry with him. I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye. When I returned to work, they told me he passed peacefully in his sleep.

Back to the game, I agree Larry was a bit of a hardass jerk and rude but Larry's grumpy temperment almost reminded me of my team mate.
There's a choice that suggests you can talk to Lily about her father. I found it on Youtube from a playthrough by MilanRE

It's as follow's word for word where Lee talks to Lily in private.

Lee: It's been three months, your dad still treats me like I'm some kind of asshole.

Lily: Yeah, well, don't expect that to change. That's just how he is.

Lee: Does he treat you like that too?

Lily: Look. My dad can be an ass sometimes, I know that. But he's not a bad guy. He just...He's got a lot of pain. He's been through so much. And lost...pretty much everything. And it's hardened him, ya know? Yeah, he's bitter and hateful, but that's all just to protect himself. And me.
All he's got left in the world is me. And that goes both ways. So, yeah, he's probably gonna keep treating you like crap, but that's just because he still has one thing left to care about. So don't judge him. And don't judge me for sticking by him. He's my dad, and I love him.

When I do a walkthrough, this scene is a keeper for me;)

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Great Post MaconMajr..So true.."never judge someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes"

• Not to sound rude, but did Don try to punch you in the face and basically kill you? Cause Larry did.

Sorry for your loss :(

• I mean I feel bad that your co-worker died and all but I don't see the connection between Larry and Lee, one is that Larry attempted to murder Lee and another is that Lee doesn't feel an ounce of sorrow for attempting to murder someone. I don't think he's looking to better Lee, more like make sure he doesn't kill and if he shows any signs of hostility he will take him down, For real. I understand your sentiment but I can't see the connection.

• I tried to save Larry as well because I felt it was the right thing to do. I definitely think Kenny should have been standing by with a salt block, but his actions were premature.

However, I really disliked Larry. Nothing he went through previously could possibly excuse throwing a child to the hoard or disabling and leaving a man to die, that's just pure ugly.

@GenericMartini said: ...another is that Lee doesn't feel an ounce of sorrow for attempting to murder someone.

How did you reach that conclusion? Lee did kill someone and I think his nightmares and wanting to talk to the group about his crime express remorse.

• I liked Larry *ignores the booing of fellow gamers* he wasn't afraid to tell you his opinion of the situation. And unlike with Kenny, I knew where I stood with Larry with 100% certainty. As a little test I gave Larry my axe and surprisingly he didn't claim I was bitten and try to kill me. The problem is that he's trying to protect a girl who's in her late 30's and an airwoman. I can honestly say that he's only such a hard a$$ because he knows Lee's past and doesn't want Lily or Clementine hurt. If you choose to tell Mark he only wants to protect Lily you'll see a glimpse of his softer side. And as gross as it was, you'll also see his softer side when he flirts with Mrs. St. John.

• I like your post MaconMajr. I went into episode 2 with a strong hatred of Larry but after that conversation with Lilly it softened my stance towards Larry. I helped Lilly in the meat locker mainly out of concern for Lilly but that conversation and a better understanding of Larry's personality helped with the decision.

• @Cyreen said: I tried to save Larry as well because I felt it was the right thing to do. I definitely think Kenny should have been standing by with a salt block, but his actions were premature.

However, I really disliked Larry. Nothing he went through previously could possibly excuse throwing a child to the hoard or disabling and leaving a man to die, that's just pure ugly.

How did you reach that conclusion? Lee did kill someone and I think his nightmares and wanting to talk to the group about his crime express remorse.

Sorry I meant Larry, got mixed mid paragraph probably.

Edit: Probably shouldn't type while tired.

• @SadClown said: Not to sound rude, but did Don try to punch you in the face and basically kill you? Cause Larry did.

Sorry for your loss :(

No, of course not. I meant similar to Larry in terms of grounchiness.

• No grouchy old man that I've ever known has tried to kill me. Dude knocked me out in order for a Walker to get his midnight snack.

I let Kenny take his old ass out.

On my second play through where I do things differently (don't side with Kenny the whole time) I still let Kenny take his old ass out.

If we were in a position where it came down to Larry or Kenny saving my life I trust Kenny. Even when I was an ass to him he still helped me up. I think Larry would try to kill me again if he had the chance so I don't feel bad at all.

• I think larry's dying will be the biggest hit to me in the series. I liked him ='( When you talk to larry in the meat locker in the end, if you saw him flirt with the woman. Lee sarcasticly takes the piss out of larry (-- I dident like this, my lee wouldent. Felt really bad that he died. I will have lillies back.

Add Comment