User Avatar Image

Is this as good as the Lucasarts games?

posted by Hudomonkey on - last edited - Viewed by 637 users

I am about to finsh Monkey Island 2 SE edition (96% complete) and I would like to know if tales of monkey Island lives up to the originals
I am a big fan of telltale and just want to know if it is par with sam and max or Strong bad.

23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's on par with the better Telltale games for sure, but I don't feel it is as inspired, clever, or funny as the first two Monkey Island games.

If you've only played MI1&2 SE, check out Curse of Monkey Island next.

If you are a fan, either of Telltale or Monkey Island, definitely play Tales of Monkey Island eventually.

• It's on par with Sam and Max, and Strong Bad, yes. Some even consider it Telltale's best game.

But compared to the older games...eh. It's better than Escape, at least. A few people (not me, but some people) would call it better than Curse. But it's not even close to the first two games. That's not a knock against Tales as much as...well, the first two games are just really great. :p

• Personally, for me ToMI knocked out MI2 out of the pedestal of 'Favourite Monkey Island game'. Although MI2 is more open and has more freedom (while ToMI is very localized due to it's episodic nature) and generally speaking had better puzzle design (although MI2 had some really crappy puzzles... like the Monkey Wrench one... god I hated it... ToMI's puzzle design really picked up in quality starting from Chapter 3. Although Chapter 1 and 2 had some really interesting and cool puzzles, most of them were just simply ok), but ToMI has won my heart because of its story, character arcs (i.e. an actual EXISTENCE of character arcs, and pretty good ones at that), and an ending that did not disappoint.

• Tales has a different feel to it than the other games. It puts more emphasis on the characters and what they're feeling, and the humor is more subtle and less bizarre. Which I think is fine -- it's a different take on the material, not just a retread of the same stuff. As a lifelong MI fan I really enjoyed Tales and thought it added something new and fun to the series.

• @Marsbergen said: It's on par with the better Telltale games for sure, but I don't feel it is as inspired, clever, or funny as the first two Monkey Island games.

If you've only played MI1&2 SE, check out Curse of Monkey Island next.

If you are a fan, either of Telltale or Monkey Island, definitely play Tales of Monkey Island eventually.

It's hard to find ways of playing Monkey Island 3 and 4 (I downloaded 1 and 2 on xbox live)

• @Hudomonkey said: It's hard to find ways of playing Monkey Island 3 and 4 (I downloaded 1 and 2 on xbox live)

Legitimately-purchased copies of the first three games may all be played via SCUMMVM.

• @Hudomonkey said: It's hard to find ways of playing Monkey Island 3 and 4 (I downloaded 1 and 2 on xbox live)

Even though this isn't "right", I'd recommend finding Curse Of Monkey Island through alternative means. And yeah, play it in SCUMMVM (an excellent program designed to play older adventure games).

• Liking Tales more than Escape seems to be universal opinion and I share it too. I think that Tales have stronger characters than some previous games and as much as I like many characters of LeChuck's Revenge, like Wally and Captain Dread, they are rather thin and one dimensional compared to Morgan and Winslow of Tales. But while Tales tells a great story, it's puzzles are easy compared to earlier games of the series, which is a big minus in my books. But then again I haven't played any modern adventure game which has as good puzzles as the old LucasArts and Sierra classics had.

@Marsbergen said: Even though this isn't "right", I'd recommend finding Curse Of Monkey Island through alternative means. And yeah, play it in SCUMMVM (an excellent program designed to play older adventure games).

I would rather recommend finding legitimate copies, used copies of both games are still available.

Although I have to admit that I wonder why LucasArts doesn't allow GoG or Steam to sell their older titles. They made Loom, both Indy games and The Dig available in Steam few years back, it wouldn't have been big trouble to make Monkey 3 & 4 and Maniac Mansion etc. also available as digital copies.

• Not only is TALES a worthy entry, it left me feeling satisfied in a way no other MI game has. No, it wasn't flawless. Yes, there were a few loose ends and a little teaser to prevent 100% closure (not necessarily a bad thing). But compare it to what came before...

SECRET had a fine ending for its day, but character investment was relatively limited when compared to future entries. REVENGE was a deliberate exercise in teasing and frustrating the player. CURSE ended far too abruptly, exposing one of the game's flaws: that while it was incredibly rich in terms of design and atmosphere; while the puzzles and game design were superlative; and while it was VERY funny; it was also unfortunately light on story or anything resembling character development between our leads (unlike the previous games, Elaine was inert for 99% of the time). As for ESCAPE ... well, it was far more PLOTTY compared to CURSE, and they threw in a lot more cutscenes towards the end, but the story still wasn't particularly rich from a character standpoint. The chemistry was still there, but muted. And Monkey Kombat made for an incredibly unsatisfying climax. The game ended, and you just felt kind of ... limp.

TALES has its issues, most of them minor. The puzzle design isn't as virtuoso as REVENGE or CURSE, and it hews slightly easier, although it's still very well done. The art isn't as gorgeous as CURSE, but then few games are -- and TALES makes up for it with my personal favorite Guybrush design (zombie LeChuck didn't hit as close to the mark, but was acceptable). The plotting can get a bit abstruse at times -- albeit nothing as off-putting as the retconning in ESCAPE. But where TALES really excels is in the characters and writing. From the prologue to the final battle, this aspect of the game truly shines. Combining that with a compelling narrative and cinematic gameplay left me deeply impressed. I was happy and content at the end of the experience in a way that I wasn't with any of the four earlier entries. That's not to say that it didn't leave me wanting more -- it definitely did! But if it does turn out to be the last MI game, I'll be much more at peace with that than if the series had ended with ESCAPE.

And burn me as a heretic, but I think TALES has the best voice for Stan. :P

• Is this on par with the other Lucasarts games... in my opinion, absolutely! It's almost good as Curse of Monkey Island, but not quite, Curse being the cream of the crop. I like it more than the first one and Lechuck's Revenge, though those games were awesome. It's certainly better than Escape from Monkey Island, which is the weakest. It's got great characters, an interesting story, and some very funny moments, plus some great plot twists and turns. I could tell you my feelings on other Lucasarts games, but I figured I'd just stick with Monkey Island.

Add Comment