User Avatar Image

Would the zombie apocalypse really bring the bad out of people?

posted by funyahns on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

So every time the idea of a zombie outbreak comes up people say that everyone would be totally mean and violent to one another. They say that is the human way. I just want to point out how utterly false this is. If people were going to backstab and murder without thought in order to survive the human race would not have been able to do the things that it has done. We would have killed ourselves off thousands of years ago. People are a social animal 9/10 people would help you if needed 7/10 would risk themselves in order to do so. So the whole "Its zombie apocalypse changes things" holds little water with me. If anything it would bring some of us closer together. You would have families of non related people sticking together. People would band together in order to protect the children....In fact. Think of how you think of Clem.....and she is not a real person. I would wager most people already consider her Lee's daughter

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • you're right, people dont turn bad when everyone around them is dying, people group together and feel like the life of another is just as important there own, England invented the NHS after WWII because we decide that society as a whole should look after each other

• Exactly, some people would prey on the weak of course. But this already happens all the time. Most people are good though. Most people would sacrifice their own well being in order to help a stranger in need.

• Definitely agree with you. That's why I made all the moral my main playthrough, even if they contrast with logic. Humanity shouldn't have to go out the window just because of a zombie apocalypse.

• This thread is full of hippies.

• what about crime ? murder? looting ? rape? abuse ? hell even incest...

they all happen with out zombies roaming the streets..

• anarchy does break lose but its not people who turn bad already bad people are bad especially when they get a foothold people like rick and shane they never really went bad in the series they just hardened up and are willing to do whatever is neccessary to keep their group alive i say shane and rick because well shane didnt have a big part in the comic series unlike he did in the show.

Sad story is after katrina when everyone was pretty much left the city that place is a true excample on what happens in a apocolyptic setting there were kill rooms and rape rooms set up in abandoned bars and whatever was left standing it was some sick crap mainly done by the local gangs and sick basterds.

• @Goldrock said: anarchy does break lose but its not people who turn bad already bad people are bad especially when they get a foothold people like rick and shane they never really went bad in the series they just hardened up and are willing to do whatever is neccessary to keep their group alive i say shane and rick because well shane didnt have a big part in the comic series unlike he did in the show.

Sad story is after katrina when everyone was pretty much left the city that place is a true excample on what happens in a apocolyptic setting there were kill rooms and rape rooms set up in abandoned bars and whatever was left standing it was some sick crap mainly done by the local gangs and sick basterds.

This... once the social structure breaks down people will do whatever it takes to protect the ones they love or are close to. Rick is a cop at first but he changes because the world he lives in. people are a reflection of the world we populate. If everyones live was threatened on a daily basis some would loose their minds, others would take some time but would eventually wind up like shane. (from the show). Thinking hes doing the right thing only to put the rest of the group in danger for his own gain. My only worry would be the people who would want to be leader. In my group there wouldnt be a leader per say. we are in this togeather and we can let the group decide who they want to follow.

• @jaynasty78 said: This... once the social structure breaks down people will do whatever it takes to protect the ones they love or are close to. Rick is a cop at first but he changes because the world he lives in. people are a reflection of the world we populate. If everyones live was threatened on a daily basis some would loose their minds, others would take some time but would eventually wind up like shane. (from the show). Thinking hes doing the right thing only to put the rest of the group in danger for his own gain. My only worry would be the people who would want to be leader. In my group there wouldnt be a leader per say. we are in this togeather and we can let the group decide who they want to follow.

i vote we need a leader :p

• A lot of our representations of the apocalypse seem to stem from the philosophy of Thomas Hobbes that mankind's "state of nature" is "nasty, brutish, and short." Of course, Hobbes didn't base his philosophy on any actual evidence, and a lot of anthropological research shows just the opposite to be true. But that's still pretty ingrained in people's thinking.

As for what might actually happen in such a scenario, I'm sure there would be quite a bit of violence at first as people grabbed whatever they could get their hands on to survive. But in the long run, I think you're right that those who would be most successful would be the ones who pulled together rather than turning each other. Humans evolved to work in groups. In a crisis like that, turning against people who might be able to help you is a good way to end up dead.

• @jaynasty78 said: This... once the social structure breaks down people will do whatever it takes to protect the ones they love or are close to. Rick is a cop at first but he changes because the world he lives in. people are a reflection of the world we populate. If everyones live was threatened on a daily basis some would loose their minds, others would take some time but would eventually wind up like shane. (from the show). Thinking hes doing the right thing only to put the rest of the group in danger for his own gain. My only worry would be the people who would want to be leader. In my group there wouldnt be a leader per say. we are in this togeather and we can let the group decide who they want to follow.

The problem with that idea is that there are mainly three types of people, Leaders, people who Think they are leaders and followers. The Followers cannot tell the other two apart and the folks that think they are leaders are the "dictator" types and will kill the people who really can be good leaders if they get in the way.

From the game you see this too. Lee is a clear leader he just doesn't want the trouble, Larry and Kenny both think they are leaders but are hardline dictators and Katjaa, Ben, Mark, Carley/Doug are all followers. Lilly is one of those rare people somewhere between the first two sometimes a good leader, other times not so much.

So the way people behave (for good or ill) as a whole is largely defined by who leads them, a real good leader or a dictator.

Edit: As an aside, sometimes those people like Lilly are worse to have then the "think they are leaders" folks because of their inconsistency.

Add Comment