User Avatar Image

Sam & Max: Wii Remote

posted by Morden on - last edited - Viewed by 301 users

As some of you may know, connecting a Wiimote to a PC is easy. You just need a Bluetooth reciever and proper software to handle the Wiimote motion sensor data. This way you can use your Wiimote instead of a mouse in FPP games, etc. And since Sam & Max is controlled with a mouse, I gave the Wiimote mode a try.

http://vision.ameba.jp/watch.do?movie=538613

P.S. - I imagine controlling a point and click adventure would be quite enjoyable on Wii. Plus the "minigames" like the driving, where you could tilt your remote to turn left or right... Shooting would be fun too. But then again I'm not so sure that people who buy a Wii would want a point and click adventure game. At least not to make proper sales.

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Great video!

I wouldn't be so sure a point 'n click adventure game wouldn't be successful on the Wii, especially when one has yet to be released. The success of Zak & Wiki and the Wii port of Hard Evidence will be something worth paying attention to.

• @Morden said: But then again I'm not so sure that people who buy a Wii would want a point and click adventure game. At least not to make proper sales.

Of course we would! I'm certainly getting Zack & Wiki.

• Well, just because you would, doesn't mean enough people would. It's kind of a given that people from these forums answer "Hell yes!", but the market is pretty tough on adventure games. But hey, if Telltale would decide they want to release a Wii version, I would probably get it, even though I already own the PC one.

I tend to play through adventures more than once, so I'd be happy to try the game on Wii. New Wii features would be welcome of course. Mini game arena, things like that.

• [quote=Morden;36626]Well, just because you would, doesn't mean enough people would. It's kind of a given that people from these forums answer "Hell yes!", but the market is pretty tough on adventure games. But hey, if Telltale would decide they want to release a Wii version, I would probably get it, even though I already own the PC one.

I tend to play through adventures more than once, so I'd be happy to try the game on Wii. New Wii features would be welcome of course. Mini game arena, things like that.[/quote]

I think Telltale should stick to the PC with Sam and Max.
    Just my two cents! :D

• In the video, the Wiimote seems to be held too close to the television to utilize its capabilities as a pointing device - is the PC control mapping entirely based off the Wiimote's orientation sensor\accelerometer? That would seem to run completely counter to what I would expect to be the most appropriate usage.

• Of course its just that... He's using the freeware Wii Remote-on-PC drivers which you can get off the net in many places. There's no way to add extra functionality to the release copy of Sam & Max besides using the Wii as a pointer, but it's a cool proof of concept all the same!

• @ReverendTed said: In the video, the Wiimote seems to be held too close to the television to utilize its capabilities as a pointing device - is the PC control mapping entirely based off the Wiimote's orientation sensor\accelerometer? That would seem to run completely counter to what I would expect to be the most appropriate usage.

I'm pretty sure drivers exist to use the IR pointing on a PC, but it's easier and more common to use the gyro (rotation) sensors. I have an "air mouse" that works basically the same way. It's not the best way to control a pointer, but it works.

• @Jake said: There's no way to add extra functionality to the release copy of Sam & Max besides using the Wii as a pointer, but it's a cool proof of concept all the same!

What I was thinking, though, was that the functionality is already present in Sam and Max, but that the Wiimote would be better utilized, as LuigiHann suggests, as a pointing device, where the Wiimote's detection of an IR source (e.g. the sensor bar) could be used to translate into the mouse's position on screen.
    It seems like it would be a pretty straightforward to code for that (considering the gyro's already been coded), but that's probably because I haven't actually tried it myself.

• @ReverendTed said: In the video, the Wiimote seems to be held too close to the television to utilize its capabilities as a pointing device

I held it close just to keep it within the frame. Otherwise, there would be no point. And yes, the controls are based on the orientation sensors only, which basically means that when you tilt the Wiimote, the mouse cursor flows in that direction.

It would be so much nicer if this was done by IR, but I've yet to see the drivers that utilize this funtion.

• I've done Wiimote/Sam & Max with IR. It's easy! I keep telling myself to take video and post it but I never got around to it. Lemme find the GlovePIE script I created.

It certainly makes the Rat shooting game fun.

I also did it with House of the Dead 2, but it kept breaking (the drivers got confused).

Add Comment