User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead Ep 4 RELEASE DATES ARE OUT! PSN NA October 9th, PC/Mac/Xbox 10th!

posted by divisionten on - last edited - Viewed by 17.3K users

Because if I don't make this thread, someone else will. As of now, no prize, because I'm still finishing The Ripper's comic cover.

If-and only if- I finish it by the end of the first week of September, I'll offer what I did last time, one randomly chosen person from those who guess the correct date (I'll make multiple winners if console and PC are not released on the same day) will get a TWD cover of themselves (or a friend/family member)

iOS releases are on a different schedule, so that doesn't count as a win. Just Mac/PC-Xbox-PS3 guesses.

Happy guessing!

-Sorry I remade the thread, poll wasn't working properly.

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ill try to make this really concise, but first things first I really do love this game. I have always loved point and click / sort-of-free realm games and TWD is the best game Ive ever played in that aspect (so dont reply saying "im complaining"). I honestly think its brilliant and top 10 games ive played all time (even though I dont play that many video games)...

Anyways on to the point, I have never seen such a train wreck as TT is doing with this game developing. Look its my opinion, and I know posting on a forum of TWD fanboys (I consider myself a step below fanboy-dome, whatever that is...) I will most likely receive negative replies but c'mon tt. The whole release dates are a mess. You are only kidding yourself, if you dont believe they have a 99.9% sure date for the release of epi 4. Why cant they just tell us? I dont understand. It is very frustrating, and in addition they dont even admit to it. Now I dont need an apology, personally I dont care at all but I dont understand how a company with a decent-size and following of tt just cant admit and say we are wrong. I think for me that would atleast take a little of my anger away.

Even watching the playing dead epi7, just infuriated me with how they beat around the bush. Now obviously as members of tt they arent going to come out and say we are terrible, but they could have been honest and just said we were wrong. Specifically with the carly/doug question (I give them a little respect for putting that question in) they make a bs excuse other than: we didnt want to make and develop 2 story lines. I mean its common logic to me, just say it.

Overall, I just have no respect for TT as a company with regards to the developmentalization (yep made that up) of this game. And like I said if your gonna argue for the game make a good case besides: its an amazing game, your complaining, etc etc etc. I told you i LOVE this game, but I feel its a shame that TT produces it. Doesnt it bother anyone else that they never are true to their word, never offer a 100% release date, and dont outright say "we were wrong"? keep in mind that im talking about telltale not the actual game ppl.

• Next week I feel it'll come out, but in the mean time I'll stay lost in the land of Pandora.

• I can see how the "very soon" and "very very soon" estimates on when the next episode will be released may not be sufficient when it comes to exact release dates. But isn't this all just water under the bridge now? Let's just say it takes about 60-70 days between episodes and move on. You said you don't need an apology and I don't need an apology so let's let it go.

You could focus on the positive aspects of TTG to help take some of the edge off the TBA release dates. For example, I could be wrong, but I think TTG is the only game that has a show that goes along with it like Playing Dead. Who does that?

Gary Whitta is also active in the forums. He's the guy that wrote the Book of Eli and e4. Jake from TTG is answering questions from players. Do other games do this?

How about putting together the stats trailers. They don't have to do that you know.

I thought Harrison Pink gave a good answer to the question from a fan regarding Carley's death that was answered on Playing Dead #7. If you were not happy with his answer, Jake gave a better answer, IMO, to the same question in the Questions for the TTG team thread.

TTG knows by now where they need to make some improvements. Things like release dates and Duck missing from Kat's arms are not deal breakers...just things to work on.:)

• I think it is going out at the 20 or 21 dunno just guessing i hope it is earlyer.

• @Vainamoinen said: Only when I'm allowed to laugh at the "later in October" voters.

You can but you might end up looking very silly.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I don't think so. :D

• In the past with earlier episodes, were we given a day or two notice before it came out? Or am I gonna wake up one morning, come on here, and see that the game is already out?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

With earlier releases, release dates were given - IIRC, I have absolutely no statistics ready - up to one week before the episode's release. That, however, was at a time before Telltale sold big in consoles. The console certification process is what makes the release date extremely hard to determine for TTG, so you should rather expect this to be a short notice again.

• @kirby18 said: Overall, I just have no respect for TT as a company with regards to the developmentalization (yep made that up) of this game. And like I said if your gonna argue for the game make a good case besides: its an amazing game, your complaining, etc etc etc. I told you i LOVE this game, but I feel its a shame that TT produces it. Doesnt it bother anyone else that they never are true to their word, never offer a 100% release date, and dont outright say "we were wrong"? keep in mind that im talking about telltale not the actual game ppl.

It's a pain for sure. As you said, the game itself is fantastic and I personally think Telltale are the right developers for this game. Story driven games are their forte and they have done an outstanding job on this game.

The lack of communication is a bother for sure. Having worked in software development before (not games tho) my only thought on the lack of communication is that there is an agreement with Microsoft, Sony, Valve, etc to await comfirmation from them before anything official is released. Unofficially certain members of Telltale have hinted that the game has already been completed and is just awaiting certification. This is something they have no control over.

There is obviously something going on behind the scenes that we mere plebs just are not privliged to know. We just have to keep the faith and know it will be released eventually.

I know this is not much of an answer, but it makes more sense then Telltale just being a bunch of ignorant so-and-so's who don't care about keeping their fans informed. Having seen interviews with the staff I get the impression they are quite down-to-earth gamers like the majority of us on here and are most definatly not pricks.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@kirby18 said: The whole release dates are a mess. You are only kidding yourself, if you dont believe they have a 99.9% sure date for the release of epi 4. Why cant they just tell us?

Name one other company with near monthly episodic releases across four different gaming platforms which does offer precise release dates (and in this case, regardless of size or influence of the company).

Anyone? Anyone?
    Huh, didn't think so. ;)

I imagine that Telltale runs on the tightest schedule known to man. In PC-only times, Telltale was able to announce a date relatively early... but still worked on those episodes until the release day. That's just not what other companies do (for retail releases, they have to have a final gold master ready weeks before the street date). If I have a development time of two years, I can project a release date without a problem, because I essentially always have more than a month of wiggle room (and still those projected dates mostly only are concrete one or two months before release). This doesn't work for episodic gaming, where the largest deal of work on the episode is done the month immediately before release.

I would never place a percentage stamp on said "largest deal", but it's true that a lot of arc planning/hiring and work on the engine are done before the Season starts, and it is also true that work on the episodes runs in parallel shifts (i.e. while episode one of any Season is just about to be released, voiceover work for number 2 could be about to be concluded and the script for episode 3 could be almost ready).

Add Comment