User Avatar Image

So many spoiler tags. Why?

posted by Red Panda on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Seriously, what is not a spoiler?

How do you talk about a game in any meaningful way without spoiling it?

It just seems like such an arrogant sense of entitlement that a person would go to a forum that does nothing but talk about the game and expect people not to talk about it.

And it makes no sense because depending on how much you've played, if you've played at all, anything can be a spoiler. What is a spoiler for one person may not be for the next.

In this game, because of the choices (I know what you're thinking and save it for another thread) even people that played the same episode can have things spoiled.

The episodes come out months apart so what could you be dying to talk about afters months of discussion and just can't avoid the forums until you've played the latest episode?

Seriously, what is the bright line? Just mentioning anything in ep 1 is a spoiler if you've never played the game.

I just can't wrap my head around this. Is there a time limit? It's a spoiler for 2 weeks after the last release? I mean, how does it work? I just don't get it.

Personally, I everything should be considered a spoiler so therefore people should avoid the forum if they don't want anything spoiled. Seriously.

71 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Maybe it would help people who came on looking for technical support? So they knew which threads to avert their eyes and cursors from. Especially since this forum shows you the first few sentences in the thread.

• @Oscilioth said: Maybe it would help people who came on looking for technical support? So they knew which threads to avert their eyes and cursors from. Especially since this forum shows you the first few sentences in the thread.

There is a whole forum dedicated to tech support. This forum is the wrong place.

And even in tech support, it's all about spoilers. "There's a glitch when Duck disappears."

I think what you're mentioning is more a problem with literacy and paying attention than anything else. I'm not sure spoiler tags will help them.

• Better yet, just dont come to the boards until you've completed the latest episode
    /solved

• @Xarne said: Better yet, just dont come to the boards until you've completed the latest episode
    /solved

agreed

• to wait 90 mins before coming to the forums?

• I think it's just polite to warn people, it's not hard to do and doesn't really impact those of us that have finished the game.

Someone is bound to come on here for a legitimate reason without having finished the game. Maybe they just want to read about episode one or two. Who knows?

The point is that it's just the polite thing to do, it doesn't hurt anybody else so why not?

• its not my problem, I rarely start threads, but I understand
    I didnt know Ep3 got released and saw all these spoilers threads...just closed the browser and checked steam...2hrs later I was all caught up

• @Oscilioth said: I think it's just polite to warn people, it's not hard to do and doesn't really impact those of us that have finished the game.

Someone is bound to come on here for a legitimate reason without having finished the game. Maybe they just want to read about episode one or two. Who knows?

The point is that it's just the polite thing to do, it doesn't hurt anybody else so why not?

"Maybe they just want to read about episode one or two." Wow. Really? That's your example? You have to know how bad that is yourself.

This is not a victimless crime. You don't know how bad it hurts my brain to think about how senseless the whole practice is.

I mean, just what threads get "spoiler tags" and what threads don't doesn't make any kind of sense.

I don't see it as polite. It's just pandering to people with no common sense and a crazy sense of entitlement. And the whole system is so hopelessly arbitrary it has no practical use.

Add Comment