User Avatar Image

How an Honest Ad for TWD Would Read

posted by JackSchirmer on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

An honest ad for The Walking Dead game would read:

"Clunky point and click adventure game with lots of button mashing, the usual bizarre key hunts (a sparkplug in order to break a window!) an interesting story, and limited choices the effects of which are confined within each episode don't work in the pc version, and primarily have to do with how people talk to you. No matter what you do, every episode begins and ends the same way. Just so you know."

Anyone else?

113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JackSchirmer said: But, of course, she's not talking about playing "a bit" of the game, but rather three-fifths of it. Sixty percent of it.

The idea, too, that you don't dare talk about the sixty percent of the game you've already played, and must wait until you've seen the final forty percent before commenting on the first sixty percent is a bad joke, something that must have come out of the TellTaleGames talking points memo.

You realize, don't you, that no one does this? That in no other arena do people have to, for example, read the last 120 pages or a 300 page book before noting that in the first 180 pages the binding was crappy, the first chapter was slow, chapter three was great, chapter five was godawful, that most of the character development was poorly done...

Are you also expecting a radical revision of TWD's button-mashing approach to gameplay? A thoroughgoing rewriting of their approach to dialogue. Something to entirely replace the keyhunt approach to things like getting the train started? Please don't be disingenuous regarding these things.

You also don't believe what you're saying. After all, do you go around announcing to book clubs that they must stop meeting every week until they finish the book? Of course you don't. Stop being foolish.

Thank you.

@JackSchirmer said: I believe it was Aristotle who said "Can't we all just get along?"

I thought it was Rodney King. Perhaps he just repeated it.

• The game itself is fine, but an honest ad would read:

"Episodes released in an incredibly unorganised manner."

They seriously should've had a few episodes already in post-production before releasing Ep1. I really doubt their player feedback has made the most groundbreaking change to the direction of the story.

And I thought television stretched the audiences patience.

• @cormoran said: So by your own admission even if those last two episodes prove you wrong you'll continue to side against TTG just to save face. Gotcha.

the same story with a few different endings wouldn't prove that the decisions matter, it would just prove that they could have had choices that mattered all the way through but just didn't bother.

remember this is just about the advertisement that went with the game, they didn't advertise it as "a story that you can change the ending of" or "a story where you can choose the tone of the dialogue but not the story".

people love to use the word "entitlement" as a way to dismiss genuine concern or criticism, but that is just the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and shouting "nah nah nah! i cant hear you"

if i sold someone a car and said you can choose between five different gears, but after they bought it it turns out that they are all the same gear, would it be entitlement to say it was false advertisement and want a gearbox with 5 gears that had different speeds and torques rather than the same gear 5 times?

• @Cyreen said: Somewhere under system requirements "empathy and compassion" should be added.

...or at least competent mental capacity. ;)

• @thestalkinghead said:
    remember this is just about the advertisement that went with the game, they didn't advertise it as "a story that you can change the ending of" or "a story where you can choose the tone of the dialogue but not the story".

people love to use the word "entitlement" as a way to dismiss genuine concern or criticism, but that is just the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and shouting "nah nah nah! i cant hear you"

if i sold someone a car and said you can choose between five different gears, but after they bought it it turns out that they are all the same gear, would it be entitlement to say it was false advertisement and want a gearbox with 5 gears that had different speeds and torques rather than the same gear 5 times?

THIS!

And ftr, I don't think it's possible for TTG to prove me wrong. I say that because it is not at all reasonable to believe that in the 11th hour (read episodes 4 and 5) TTG will miraculously produce the game they advertised.

It is really frustrating to see so much condescension and dismissal displayed towards myself and others who are not happy with what TTG advertised vs what they delivered. And I'm not going to dumb that down and say what they have delivered to date.

That's part of the problem. The other side keeps saying wait until the end wait until the end. Well, that would be great if the end was a standalone game. It isn't. Each episode is part of the whole. I should absolutely be able to judge each episode individually as well as judge the whole thing. And I reserve the right to state that the individual episodes to this point have not lived up to their advertisement claims.

• I'd really like someone to post a link to one of Telltale's ads so I can see exactly what they say, compared to the myriad ways people have interpreted them. From what I can recall, they advertised a game where you can make choices. And I really don't think they went any more in-depth than that.

Either way, your opinion is your opinion. I'm not going to condescend to it, but I am going to remain confused as to why people -- who have clearly written off the game completely, per their posts -- continue to come here and re-make their points over and over again. Your life is your life, but if I were as dissatisfied as some of the other posters are, I would have moved on to a different game by now. I wouldn't be posting on the message board for a company that made a game I hate.

• @lucidity02 said: I am going to remain confused as to why people -- who have clearly written off the game completely, per their posts -- continue to come here and re-make their points over and over again. Your life is your life, but if I were as dissatisfied as some of the other posters are, I would have moved on to a different game by now. I wouldn't be posting on the message board for a company that made a game I hate.

For me personally, it's because I love this game.

Now, there's a difference in loving the game and hating the way it was marketed and how it's being released. You can love a game, and still hate the company that makes it.

In my case, I come on here and state my opinion on how crappy telltale has been with this game because i'm hoping that things will change when they see how disgruntled their fans are and how that could cost them sales in later seasons down the road.

If they would just UPDATE us on what the hell is going on, that would be enough for me.

• @DeadInfection said: For me personally, it's because I love this game.

Now, there's a difference in loving the game and hating the way it was marketed and how it's being released. You can love a game, and still hate the company that makes it.

In my case, I come on here and state my opinion on how crappy telltale has been with this game because i'm hoping that things will change when they see how disgruntled their fans are and how that could cost them sales in later seasons down the road.

If they would just UPDATE us on what the hell is going on, that would be enough for me.

I work in marketing, so I do have some sympathy for TT about how people are interpreting their marketing materials. Sure, there's something to be said for an ad that's intentionally or purposefully misleading, but the company's marketing department was tasked with highlighting innovative elements within the game. So that's what they did -- they focused on how the choices in the game can shape the story. Whether the choices do matter is up to each player, I guess.

I do agree that the delayed releases and lack of communication are annoying, and TT should totally fix that sort of thing moving forward. But I strongly, strongly doubt -- as I've seen some imply -- that TT blatantly lied about a monthly release schedule. Creating a game with this many individual script permutations sounds like a really, really challenging task. They probably thought they could pull it off monthly and later realized they were wrong. If TT were more open with fans, I don't think people would be as disgruntled.

Either way, they've been more solid with their updates lately, so they've definitely heard the complaints.

Add Comment