Menu
User Avatar Image

How an Honest Ad for TWD Would Read

posted by JackSchirmer on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

An honest ad for The Walking Dead game would read:

"Clunky point and click adventure game with lots of button mashing, the usual bizarre key hunts (a sparkplug in order to break a window!) an interesting story, and limited choices the effects of which are confined within each episode don't work in the pc version, and primarily have to do with how people talk to you. No matter what you do, every episode begins and ends the same way. Just so you know."

Anyone else?

113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • How about

"The Walking Dead. We will make characters you love and we will kill them. Why? Because its a freaking zombie game!"

• @JackSchirmer said: An honest ad for The Walking Dead game would read:

"Clunky point and click adventure game with lots of button mashing, the usual bizarre key hunts (a sparkplug in order to break a window!) an interesting story, and limited choices the effects of which are confined within each episode don't work in the pc version, and primarily have to do with how people talk to you. No matter what you do, every episode begins and ends the same way. Just so you know."

Anyone else?

Huff and puff, look, we're on episode 3 not 5, so tell me how you know that in episode 4 or 5 that choices doesn't effect you. Did you play them early or something. How do you know that in episode 4 you meet Clem's mum and Clem says if you've been nice to her or not, or she say says what you taught her. Then all your choices matter, why are you jumping to conclusions because some of your favourite characters died. It's been really peeing me off because everyone seems to think that your choices won't effect you in the future episodes, how do we know.

• How about...

"The Walking Dead!
    -- Zombies are here!
    ---- You're fucked!"

• I was gonna go with...

"Oh shit!"

That's about all.

• @Gratefully Dead said: I was gonna go with...

"Oh shit!"

That's about all.

Yeah, perfect caption on a picture of a bunch of TWD zombies heading toward the viewer's direction.

• @SupahFly said: It's already obvious that they don't have even 2 storylines but in that case they shouldn't write such crap like :
    Live with the profound and lasting consequences of the decisions that you make in each episode.

Come on, every game is linear. You can sequence break in sandbox games, but in something with a narrative? Who actually thought you could choose between nine different events? Every game with choice is that BioWare example. Two offshoots that come right back to the same line.

(Yeah, I know that most of those examples are obsolete. It's a shame.)

• Somewhere under system requirements "empathy and compassion" should be added.

• @Master of Aeons said: Come on, every game is linear. You can sequence break in sandbox games, but in something with a narrative? Who actually thought you could choose between nine different events? Every game with choice is that BioWare example. Two offshoots that come right back to the same line.

(Yeah, I know that most of those examples are obsolete. It's a shame.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't even want something major for the story line to be different between two streams, I was so excited during episode 2 because at that point the illusion for the choices was still there and it wasn't even something major - Carley/Doug were the different elements for the two streams but it was something I even replayed the two episodes several times. But when I saw how the solved everything in episode 3 I was just disappointed, there was no motivation for my anymore to replay anything.

• THE WALKING DEAD GAME
    Everyone will remember your actions.

FOR 10 MINUTES.

• @Ultraa said: Huff and puff, look, we're on episode 3 not 5, so tell me how you know that in episode 4 or 5 that choices doesn't effect you. Did you play them early or something. How do you know that in episode 4 you meet Clem's mum and Clem says if you've been nice to her or not, or she say says what you taught her. Then all your choices matter, why are you jumping to conclusions because some of your favourite characters died. It's been really peeing me off because everyone seems to think that your choices won't effect you in the future episodes, how do we know.

I think most people are figuring the way stuff has been going down lately is how it is going to continue going down. I mean the choice you have between Doug or Carley in ep 1 has literally no impact they are completely functionally the same (near a reskin) except Carley has the very slight boon that she allows you to tell people you are a killer which helps since if you don't they will all know in the worst possible way, Lilly tells them.
    Either way there is no hint at any of it counting.
    Also there is that awful thing with the normal UI where if you protect Carley it sais "Carley will remember this" literally a second later she gets shot in the face.

I dunno, I love the story but still feel as if the marketing could be done in a better way considering the whole Mass Effect thing. Gamers have just gone trough this exact thing and now they market it as the same thing you were suposed to be able to do in Mass Effect, now the Mass Effect thing is probably debatable but either way in that game it is a complete illusion of choice over actual choice.

Tl;dr: gamers are in a butthurt fase right now, and this I guess doesn't make it any better.

Add Comment