Menu
User Avatar Image

The cause of the zombie apocalypse?

posted by Zombies are Awesome! on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Anyone have any ideas what could have caused it? I know Kirkman has said he won't reveal it but when can still guess right? :)

i think its something religious, only because they mention religion many times in the comics and TV show

111 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The virus could have been use as biological weapon or as a result of an experiment gone deadly wrong and the test subject(s) escaped and caused chaos.

• Basically, any theory is correct because the cause of the outbreak will most likely never be revealed. I always toyed with the idea that it was an intentional attack by some government agent who was researching the means to weaponize viruses for overseas warfare and created this virus through inhuman experimentation. Rather than report it to the government, he believed this is the perfect way to restart the human race and wipe the world clean and reveal those who are the strongest of the human race. He spread it through specific vectors all throughout the world to infect everyone.

He believed that the world was doomed with so much pollution, war, crime, poverty, famine, and disease that it was time to restart the human race and start fresh. Create enough horror and then rebuild the world with those who were smart, strong, and resourceful enough to survive; the perfect people to rebuild a strong world. They would believe it all goes back to the start of evolution where survival was the only way to make a species stronger.

Anyway, I always wondered what the general opinion on this topic was; do a majority of fans want to know? The only circumstance in which I would want the outbreak to be revealed if it was an intentional attack, thereby creating a potentially pivotal villain to go up against. Other than that, the reveal of the virus's origin really wouldn't impact the course of the story at all.

• 3 words: Pox. Of. LeChuck.

Either that, or the Zombie Factory in Stuttgart.

• @darknessofheart said: Basically, any theory is correct because the cause of the outbreak will most likely never be revealed. I always toyed with the idea that it was an intentional attack by some government agent who was researching the means to weaponize viruses for overseas warfare and created this virus through inhuman experimentation. Rather than report it to the government, he believed this is the perfect way to restart the human race and wipe the world clean and reveal those who are the strongest of the human race. They spread it through specific vectors all throughout the world to infect everyone.

They believed that the world was doomed with so much pollution, war, crime, poverty, famine, and disease that it was time to restart the human race and start fresh. Create enough horror and then rebuild the world with those who were smart, strong, and resourceful enough to survive; the perfect people to rebuild a strong world. They would believe it all goes back to the start of evolution where survival was the only way to make a species stronger.

it was me, i wished for it, but i didn't mean it (the only wishes ever granted are not really wanted) so sorry guys all this zombie fiction is just preparation for the real thing :o

• Again, the best part about a fictional monster like zombies are that you can create your own reason for a ZA. Maybe Kirkman wont reveal his reason for his ZA as there is no reason for it.

Call it a man-made thing, you would assume there could be a cure.. So dont use that or eventually there would be a cure and thus the end of the story.

Call it religious, then the story can go on forever.

Some space virus, like a strage gas cloud been traveling through space for millions of years kinda washes over the Earth. Why not!

I still prefer the matress-tag theory though! :D

• i say the walking dead zombie outbreak is somewere on the line as in resident evil biowepon that someone created in a lab

• People all voted Independent in 2012 election.
    =
    Al Gore becomes president.
    =
    ???
    =
    Zombies.

• @Zombies are Awesome! said: Anyone have any ideas what could have caused it? I know Kirkman has said he won't reveal it but when can still guess right? :)

i think its something religious, only because they mention religion many times in the comics and TV show

Sure. It was all explained in the movie Night of the Living Dead (1968). I just saw it on Cable TV today. looks like some probe returning from Venus was emitting high levels of radiation. Apparently, NASA lost contact with the probe when it started its return voyage and the probe was presumed lost.

When NASA reestablished contact with the probe that's when the radiation was detected. NASA self-destructed the probe but a little too late since now the dead are coming back to life and all.

• @Sergiy said: I think it's the Russians!

Blame Canada!

• @Kiel555 said: Sure. It was all explained in the movie Night of the Living Dead (1968). I just saw it on Cable TV today. looks like some probe returning from Venus was emitting high levels of radiation. Apparently, NASA lost contact with the probe when it started its return voyage and the probe was presumed lost.

When NASA reestablished contact with the probe that's when the radiation was detected. NASA self-destructed the probe but a little too late since now the dead are coming back to life and all.

Ok that's reasonable but then the same could be possible for any planet or a meteor or comet that got too close. How about a great underwater earthquake that releases unknown gasses that mix with our air creating a toxic gas? Or how about global warming eating away at the Ozone making solar flares more able to affect our atmosphere and cause some weird poisoning?
    Anyone can sit and invent the reason for a fictional monster and really you cant be wrong. Could be something as simple as a kid playing with his Jr scientist lab toy mixes a few chemicals together pours it over a pile of dog poo and POOF!

Add Comment