User Avatar Image

“Last Survivor” -- Walking Dead / We’re Alive Crossover (Carley is found and saved.)

posted by ZombieGoBoom on - last edited - Viewed by 7.4K users

This is a crossover fanfic with the “Walking Dead” game and “We're Alive” a podcast show. Those who are not familiar with We’re Alive, it is more like survivors battling the monsters from 28 Days Later and Left 4 Dead than facing the undead in a typical zombie apocalypse movie.

Unfortunately, the characters from We’re Alive are all situated in Los Angeles and I had to move them into Georgia to make this work.

And yes, Carley survives the gunshot in this one. If you don’t like it then write your own story. :p

FF.Net Link: Last Survivors

Feedback is needed. ;)

Chapter One: Wounds

"She... She.... She's dead! Why did she shoot her?"

"Get in! We're leaving this crazy bitch."

"Carley..."

"Lee, she's gone. You heard Ben, you can't help her. Get in or do I have to drag you!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

She woke as if coming out of a deep sleep to find herself face down in the dirt.

What happened?

Almost immediately she felt a painful burning sensation in her left cheek and eye. Her head started to throb as she tried to move her limbs.

Shit. I feel like crap. What happened?

Slowly she pushed herself up and that's when she noticed something else was wrong. She couldn't see out of her left eye. It was night but the moon and stars were out and giving off enough light to see out of her right eye but something was wrong with her left.

Fighting down her panic, she reached up and touched the left side of her face. When she pulled her hand back she found it to be covered in blood. Almost shaking in fear now, she looked around to find herself on the side of a long stretch of a road, lined with trees on either side.

How did I get here?

Then she heard them, the slow shuffling of feet through piles of fallen leaves and the bone chilling constant low moaning. Like right out of a foreboding bad dream, three walkers emerged out from the shadows of the trees, heading straight towards her.

Carley rose to her feet to flee but she almost blacked out from the effort. The sudden movement caused new pain to surged through her head, making it feel like it was about to split open.

The walkers closed in on their new prey.

No, get up and move!

Through sheer will and much fear for her life, Carley started to run as best as she could but her aching head made it almost impossible and for some reason her body had so little strength to give. At most, all she could manage was a fast walk down the road. Carley fumbled inside her coat for her gun but came up empty. The situation was growing from bad to worse.

I'm injured, most likely seriously, no weapon and being chased by walkers. Which one will do me in first?

Looking behind, one of the three walkers was actually gaining on her. Carley tried to move faster but every step felt like someone was taking a jackhammer to her already throbbing head.

The fast walker behind her sounded so close now that she didn't dare look back. Exhaustion was overtaking her and Carley started to cry from her good eye. Maybe it would be better to stop running and let it end now than drag this out needlessly.

Then there was a light from behind and the sound of an engine. A vehicle was approaching and it filled Carley with unexpected hope to keep moving. The vehicle was loud as it sped up and swerved around them to pass on her left. Carley looked and her jaw dropped. It was a humvee! An honestly to goodness US military humvee.

Still trying to keep ahead of the pursuing walkers, Carley tried to wave and call to them but she couldn’t catch her breath to shout. Worse, probably in her condition and in the dark they might think she was a walker too. Even in the gloom of night, she could see faces inside the vehicle windows looking out but they were already passing to accelerate away.

With all she had left, Carley finally screamed out. "PLEASE HELP ME!!!"

This caused her head ache even more but it made the humvee screeched to a halt about fifty feet ahead of her. The front side passenger door flew open and a man jumped out. It was too dark to make out his face but the outline of his body showed that he was dressed head to toe in full military combat gear. In his hands, he cradled an assault rifle. At that moment he was the most beautiful sight in the world to Carley.

He took a step towards her as he brought his weapon up. "If you are living, GET DOWN!" The man barked.

Carley almost nodded as she dropped to the hard pavement. An instant later, she heard three loud cracks from his discharging weapon. When her ears stopped ringing seconds later, the moaning of the walkers that had been dogging her from behind had been permanently silenced. Still on her hands and knees and gasping for breath, Carley couldn't stop shaking, unable to believe she was rescued. She then heard more voices coming from the vehicle.

"Watch the tree line!" A powerful and rough older voice commanded. "But shoot only if you have to!"

"I got it!" A much youthful male voice answered back.

Carley then heard people approaching. Lifting her head, she saw the soldier and next to him a woman in plain civilian clothing hurrying to her with flashlights. When they reached her, they shined their lights right into Carley's face, nearly blinding her. Her two would be rescuers actually paused in shock which scared Carley.

How bad are my injuries?

For a moment she feared they would turn around and abandon her.

"Please, don't leave me." Her plead was feeble and weak but she nearly at the end of her rope, her strength fading and she was terrified of dying out here alone.

The woman snapped out of it first and spoke with a gentle French accent. "We won’t." She knelt down next to her, taking Carley's hand into hers before turning to the soldier. "Angel, help me."

However, the soldier still hesitated before kneeling down before Carley, studying her damaged face with his flashlight.

“Wait.” He was more professional sounding and asked Carley direct. “Were you bitten?”

“I don’t know…” Carley muttered. She couldn’t remember what happened to her, her headache was getting even worse. “I was with a group at this motel and we were attacked by bandits. We escaped but… everything is a blank after that. Help me… please… please…”

Angel nodded and looked to the French woman. “Riley, this looks like a messy gunshot wound and not a bite. Let’s chance it.”

I was shot? I need a mirror to see how bad it is.

From the humvee, the young voice called to them. "I would hurry you two! We're doubled park and I'm seeing a ton of movement in the trees!"

Riley and Angel each took an arm and helped Carley to their vehicle and quickly placed her in the back. All the way to the humvee, Carley was almost delirious with gratitude, thanking them over and over. She wanted to kiss them.

Inside, Carley collapsed into her seat in a mixture of relief and exhaustion as the French woman took her place next to her on her right. To Carley’s left a large and older man with no hair and a grey beard, dressed in civilian cloths climbed in.

To the front, Angel hurried around into the passenger seat as the driver slide back behind the wheel pulling a pair of night vision goggles from his face. He turned back to them and he was a young black man, dressed in full combat gear like Angel.

"How is our..." He stopped when he looked at Carley and saw her face and nearly exclaimed. “Holy... Is she going to be all right?”

Carley could barely keep her good eye open now. On second thought, I don’t want that mirror.

"Just drive Saul." The French woman said urgently, as she reached in the back compartment for the first aid kit. “Burt, help me dress her wound.”

The older man leaned in closer to help Riley tend to Carley’s damaged face before saying in a gruff voice. “Radio ahead and warn them we have wounded coming in.”

“I’m already on it.” Angel said.

The humvee pulled away as dozens of walkers piled out onto the road from the forest. They mindlessly tried to follow the military vehicle as its taillights grew smaller into the night before disappearing around a bend in the road.

tbc

143 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Nice Job on this chapter. Liked how you are portraying the characters as well as Lee's guilt over leaving Carley, really well done! Keep it up!

• awesome, i want to play this game and not the shitty game where carley is dead

• Post this in fanfiction.net!

Also, where is the next chapter?

• C'mon man wheres the next oneeeee??? D:

• @CarleyandLeeTWD said: Post this in fanfiction.net!

Also, where is the next chapter?

It is in Fanfiction.net.

We'll just have to remain patient until the next chapter is posted like good readers we are.

• Didn't see that. Will ZombieGoBoom still post here or in fanfic.net? I wanna see the next chapters. Story is nice, just not used to the new characters. At least they survived :))

• Really liked that chapter. Very nice fic. Keep it up.

• @CarleyandLeeTWD said: Didn't see that. Will ZombieGoBoom still post here or in fanfic.net? I wanna see the next chapters. Story is nice, just not used to the new characters. At least they survived :))

As far as I know, the newest chapter will be posted here first, and then will eventually be added to Fanfiction.net

• Hey everyone. First off, thank you for all the comments and I really appreciate it. I'm currently working on the next chapter and I hope to have it out by this weekend. Also, I am currently posting this story on FF.Net and here's the link. I should have placed the link here from the start, sorry. :(

Last Survivors

Take care. ;)

Edit: There was supposed to be an S at the end of Last Survivor but I messed up when I posted it here first.

• Chapter 12: The Horde

In such a long time, Clementine actually dared to let herself feel happy and safe. When she was on the road with Lee, after escaping Savannah, they could only spend a few days at one place before they had to move on, whether it was because of walkers, lack of food or other people. Clementine learned long ago that other survivors could be far more dangerous than any walker but not all of them were bad. A few actually tried to help but Lee was always leery of them, never staying long.

Surviving through winter was hard but by working together they scraped enough food to make it. They even located a working car with enough gas in it to get them mobile again. They were a team and for a while, she believed they could get through anything. Then the car broke down but Lee fixed it and he just needed to get some water for the radiator. Clementine remembered hearing the stream nearby and they both went into the woods to get some water. They always stayed together.

They came to a snow covered slope and the stream was right there. Lee tried to walk down the hill but he slipped and she helplessly watched him take a hard fall and he stopped moving. She tried to wake him, almost screaming before remembering not to make any noise. Walkers were attracted to loud noises.

Clementine then tried to drag him back to the car but he was too heavy so she stayed by his side, waiting and hoping for him to wake up. Night came and it got colder so she ran to the car and grabbed some blankets. There she huddled against him under the blankets for two days, unable to sleep and jumping to every sound in the dark. She tried to be brave and to be quiet. No sound. They like noises.

On the morning of the second day, several walkers approached. Clementine remained still under the blankets hoping they would walk by but one stopped and turned towards them. It made a sound, a low grunting sound that one gives when it smells new prey. With little choice and using Lee’s gun she stood up from under the blankets and shot it.

The gunshot attracted the other walkers but Clementine didn’t leave Lee’s side. She was determined to protect him like he did many times for her. By then, she saw how many walkers she was facing as they drew closer, far more than the few bullets she had remaining in the gun. She was scared, hands trembling but she held her ground and fired again, careful to make each shot count. Clementine didn’t know what else to do, she had to protect Lee and she couldn’t leave him. She couldn’t because she knew he would never abandon her.

She fired again and again until her gun emptied. There were so many walkers coming towards her that Clementine froze in fear. She didn’t know what to do. Clementine couldn’t leave Lee. She couldn’t and she wouldn’t. They came closer and she started to cry when she heard someone shouting from behind.

“Clementine! Get down!”

Carley rushed by her, pushing her down next to Lee. Clementine was startled to see her, she remembered Lilly shooting Carley and seeing her lying in a small pool of blood. Now she was back like she remembered except for a patch over her left eye, like a pirate and carrying a large rifle.

Carley placed herself between them and the walkers and started shooting. Clementine wanted desperately for Carley to make the monsters go away but there were so many that they would easily overwhelm her. Suddenly, three others appeared joining Carley with their weapons ready, two men and a woman. Two of the men were dressed like soldiers and together they stopped the walkers in a massive display of gunfire. Before Clementine could even think of it, Carley and her three friends rescued them, taking them somewhere else. Somewhere hopefully safe.

That was nearly a month ago. It was hard for Clementine not to look back at that day, like a distant nightmare she finally woke up from. She liked this place, it had lots of people and many of them were nice. She really liked Lizzy and Saul who immediately befriended her when Lee was still hurt.

Right now, she was out back in the Nest’s compound helping Pegs preparing to plant her new garden. Pegs was smart and knew a lot about plants. She was even teaching her and several others what she knew about taking care and planting crops in case something should happen to her. Clementine didn’t like hearing that, Pegs was her friend too and wanted nothing to happen to her. She even liked their leader Michael, who protected Lee from Chad. However, Clementine didn’t like Chad very much and she felt Chad didn’t really like anyone here.

One of the best things that Clementine saw was that Lee seemed a lot happier being here as well. Clementine could see a great weight had been lifted off his shoulders because there were others shouldering more of the burden too. She really liked seeing Lee and Carley together because it made them both happier. Now, Clementine wasn’t so worried about something happening to Lee being here with Carley and the others now. They were all stronger being together.

Lee was out front in the garage area helping Saul getting the Ford Escape ready for another food and fuel run when he looked up seeing a familiar figure approaching. He smiled warmly, calling out.

“Rooster! Coming to see us off?”

Carley had on her carrying vest and her assault rifle sling across her back as she stopped just a few feet in front of Lee. Carley still disliked her nickname but in the end it was far better than being called something like Cyclops or even Scratch, but still, she could have some fun too.

“In a way, Condor.” Carley grinned, using Lee’s new bird nickname.

“Hey, I have no problem with my nickname,” Lee joked. “Condors are a big and proud bird.”

“You forgot ugly.”

“Didn’t say they were perfect.” Lee winked.

Carley smiled again, enjoying the back and forth teasing between them. “I talked to Paul and he has agreed to let me take his place on this patrol.”

Lee looked surprised. “You’re coming with us?”

“Yes,” Carley noted his reaction with a frown. “Is that a problem?”

“No,” Lee replied as she gave him a disapproving look. “I would love to have you come with us but I would prefer one of us staying behind for Clementine’s sake.”

“Why? Besides that asshole Chad, she has nothing to fear from anyone here.”

“I believe that too but what if something were to happen and both of us didn’t came back?”

Carley knew where he was going with this and had to agree. “Okay but maybe you should wait another week and get back to full strength before going out there. There‘s plenty of stuff to do around here.”

“Maybe, but Saul said they were doing a run to the east, giving us a chance to swing around to our car along the way which still had a little food and fuel left in it with a few personal items,” Lee explained. “If no one has found it and broken into it yet.”

Carley stepped closer, poking her finger into his chest. “Just been careful and I mean it.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Lee smiled when his nose inhaled a wonderful scent. He leaned in closer and sniffed again. “You washed your hair?”

Carley give a sly feline grin. “What about it? Can’t a girl use some of her water rations to keep clean?”

“I appreciate it.”

Carley glanced at him with a growing smirk. “I didn’t do it just for you.”

“You can do whatever you like,” Lee moved closer till their bodies were almost touching, his voice soft. “I hope you don’t mind me saying it out loud, I appreciate it when you merely walk into view.”

“Glad to hear that,” Carley almost purred. “Flatter.”

Lee smiled. “Just being truthful.”

Carley stared up at him and she had a million flirty responses racing through her mind. For a while, she had briefly thought Lee’s interest in her was just the guilt he felt about leaving her accidentally behind but the love and desire she saw in his eyes could not be faked. He didn’t care about the injuries to her face which only made him even more attractive to Carley.

She stood up on her toes because of the height difference between them. Carley then placed both of her hands on his shoulders, saying. “Maybe I should reward you.”

“No rewards are needed. I just need you.”

Lee gave her a playful look and Carley felt his arms wrapping around her waist. “Well, you are in luck.” She said.

Lee leaned down to kiss her as Carley’s lips parted slightly in anticipation.

“Hey, Lee? Where are…” Saul walked around the Escape carrying his med kit and stopped when he saw them in mid kiss. “Oh, sorry.”

Lee glanced at him, slightly disappointed at the interruption but they had work to get done. “It’s okay Saul, I should be helping you…”

Lee then felt Carley’s hands gripping both sides of his face before being pulled down to her waiting lips. Upon feeling her mouth against his, all thoughts and resistance faded. Oblivious to everything except her, Lee hungrily return the kiss, his right hand moving up from Carley’s waist to the back of her head, burying his fingers through her hair.

Saul just stared in disbelief at the unrestrained show of intimacy before tossing the med-kit in the back of the Escape and jabbed his thumb back to the garage. “I’ll be back in a couple minutes,” Seeing the intensity of their kissing, Saul added quietly. “Probably with some lumber to build a room around you two.”

He took two steps back to the garage when he heard a distant rumble, like thunder. It was loud enough to get even Lee and Carley’s attention.

Out back, everyone that was outside heard it and came to a stop. Carrying a large bag of seeds, Pegs carefully put it down and listened. It did sound like a distant thunderclap but the sky was clear of any dark clouds. She glanced behind to Clementine who stood nervously nearby.

“What was that?” The little girl asked the grown woman.

“I don’t know but stay here.” Pegs said before moving to one of the several wooden platforms built all around the inside walls of the mansion grounds. They each were four feet high, three feet wide and eight feet long. She climbed the steps and looked over the top of the wall. All she saw was the distant rolling hills, trees and the few nearby abandoned houses.

Pegs then looked up to the top of the mansion to the bird house, basically a small watch tower built on the peek of the roof. It had a clear 360 view of everything around them with enough space for two people to man it, as long as you don’t have a fear of heights climbing the ladder to reach it.

Kelly was taking her shift up in the bird house when she also heard the thunderous sound off in the distance. Lifting her binoculars to her eyes, she scanned the horizon but even from her high perch couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary besides a few lone walkers.

By now Michael, Burt and Angel along with several others exited the mansion also drawn by the noise that they heard even inside the building.

“What going on?” Michael called up to Kelly in the bird house.

“Don’t know,” Kelly shouted down. “It sounded like thunder.”

“Thunder my ass,” Burt muttered under his breath to Michael. “That was an explosion.”

Michael was in complete agreement. From his tours in Iraq and those damned IEDs made him an expert in explosions. He turned to Angel. “Grab your rifle and get up there with Kelly.”

“I’m on it.” Angel said before hurrying off as more people showed up to see what was happening.

Walking around the mansion from the garage area came Saul, Lee and Carley.

“Clementine?” Lee called, looking left and right.

Through the crowd, Clementine waved to him from across the backyard next to Pegs. “I’m here, Lee.”

Seeing her safe, Lee followed Saul and Carley as they approached Michael and Burt. Upon reaching them, Saul whispered to the two men. “That was TNT going off.”

“We’re way ahead of you.” The ex-marine said.

“What is the plan?” Carley asked.

“I sent Angel up to the bird house to be an extra pair of eyes for Kelly.” Michael replied.

“Should we go to lock down?” Burt suggested.

Before Michael could decide, they all heard a second thunderous blast in the distance, but this sounded closer. By now, people were muttering nervously and the army sergeant shouted up to Kelly.

“Do you see anything?”

“Nothing!” Kelly yelled back down as she continued to scan the horizon.

Michael looked to Burt. “Yes, we’re locking this place down.” Then he shouted to everyone around him. “Listen up everyone. Fighters take your assigned positions on the wall. Everyone else, head back inside.”

“I’ll get ready to breakout the rest of the weapons if we need them.” Burt said and Michael only nodded his reply as the ex-marine hurried off.

People started moving, many hurrying inside while everyone armed moved onto wooden platforms lining the inside walls and stood guard looking over it. Lee saw Pegs ushering Clementine back into the building. He walked next to her, saying to the woman. “Keep her safe.”

From behind, he heard Michael‘s voice. “You have to go inside too Lee.”

Surprised, he turned to face him but the sergeant looked serious.

“I’ve fought before and I’m a good shot,” Lee countered. He saw Carley approaching, the smaller woman cradling her rifle in her hands. Anyone allowed to carry a weapon was a fighter. “Tell him, Carley.”

The former reporter looked between their leader who she had much respect for and the man she loved dearly. She didn’t like being put on the spot but she answered honestly. “We could use him on the walls, Michael.”

“No doubt but I could use you inside.” Michael said to lee.

“What good will I be inside?” Lee questioned.

Michael leaned in closer, keeping his voice low. “I need you to help Burt inside the mansion and be his second in command. I need people I can trust to look out for the rest of us.”

With emphasize, Michael gestured to Clementine and Pegs and Lee understood. “I’ll keep them safe.” He promised.

“Be careful, Michael.” Pegs said urgently to the army sergeant, touching his hand.

“Hopefully this is nothing but a false alarm.” Michael replied, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. “Now, help get everyone inside.”

Lee quickly took his possible last opportunity to say his good bye to Carley. “Be safe. I can’t lose you again.”

Carley gave a small smile and her hand gently caressed the side of his face. “I could say the same to you.”

Within three minutes, the entire compound was secured and sections of the wall were manned and guarded. Up in the bird house, Angel and Kelly watched the horizon with their binoculars. Down on the ground, Michael, Saul, Carley, Riley and four other fighters rounded out their outer defence.

Michael scanned the landscape from his spot behind the wall before speaking into his radio. “This is Broke Wing, all fighters report.”

“Toucan here. North and west sectors clear.”

“Vulture here. South and East sectors clear.”

“Penguin here. Wall section one clear.”

“Rooster here. Wall section two clear.”

“l'oiseau here. Wall section three clear.”

After everyone reported in, Michael looked to the setting sun and within an hour, darkness would settle in and protecting this place from possible bandit incursion would get harder. They still had two night vision goggles but the batteries to them were old and only one could hold a decent charge.

Suddenly he heard Angel’s voice urgently calling over the radio. “Toucan here. I got movement to the north, two miles out. Walkers.”

Walkers were no surprise to Michael. There always a bunch crossing through this area weekly. “How many?”

“Hard to tell,” Angel answered. “They’re just exiting the tree line to the north. Even with no leaves on the branches yet, the thick brush still made it hard to…”

There was a long pause that immediately worried Michael. “Toucan. Report.”

After a moment, Michael heard Angel cursing under his breath. “Oh, shit. We have a problem.”

“What is it Toucan?” Michael demanded in the radio before glancing up to the bird house. “What do you see?”

“Lots of walkers.” Angel uttered, his voice filled with disbelief.

“Do we have a herd coming our way?” Michael asked.

“No,” Angel replied in dread. “It’s looks more like a horde and they‘re definitely heading our way.”

Like a slow moving tsunami, crushing or devouring everything before it, thousands of walkers poured out of the woods to the north. With no real thought or direction and nearly a mile wide, they were all moving south with the Nest squarely in their path.

The Nest was a scene of what could only be described as controlled chaos. Michael left Angel and Kelly in the bird nest to maintain a lookout while leaving Carley, Riley and two other fighters to guard the walls. Everyone else was put to work to get their defences ready for the oncoming mass of walkers.

When they first moved into the mansion months before, Burt immediately turned the mansion’s panic room into their armoury. It was built like a vault, with a combination lock, perfect for keeping their weapons secured and safe. With the walkers approaching, he broke it open and started to handout weapons and ammunition to everyone, for all the good it would do. If Angel was right about the size of the horde that was heading for them, everyone might as well save the very last bullet for themselves.

Burt was in the middle of handing out a pump action shotgun to the next person in line when he locked eyes with Chad. He was looking perfectly smug that he was finally getting a weapon. For Burt, Chad was the last person he would trust to guard his back in a fight. Shit, he would rather have Clementine covering his back in a dark alley armed only with a Nerf baseball bat than have Chad even armed with a gun.

With no words said, Burt gave him the shotgun and a box of ammo for it.

Outside, several people were busy trying to reinforce the walls surrounding the mansion. Lee was with Datu, helping him lay eight foot long two by fours to shore it up. About every ten feet along the wall and roughly six feet from it, Lee would use the shovel he was carrying to dig a small hole and Datu would place one end of the two by four into it before propping the other end against the brick wall.

Datu would prefer to use stakes to secure the boards to the ground but they didn’t have time and using a hammer and the noise it would make was not a good idea with the walkers closing in.

Hurrying along, Lee had no idea if this would help. Just getting a few hundred walkers just pressing against any section of the brick wall would be enough to bring it down. Placing a bunch of two by fours against the wall won’t make much of a difference but still, they had to do something.

Behind them, Lee heard an engine starting and he briefly turned to see Saul driving the humvee out of the garage and wheeling it up to the gate entrance until its front bumper was up against the metal bars. Saul turned the army vehicle as one giant doorstop.

Inside, Michael was helping and directing people on the first floor, having them boarding up windows, securing doors and moving supplies up to the second floor. Nearby the stairway leading up to the second floor was several chainsaws and axes. If the worse should happen, the stairs would be destroyed keeping the walkers from reaching the second level. Hopefully it wouldn‘t come to that.

Glancing to his left, Michael spotted Pegs carrying a box up to the second floor and right behind her was Clementine helping out by carrying several MREs in her arms.

Michael pressed the speak button to his radio. “Toucan, report.”

“Toucan here. Still no change, walkers are on course and one mile out now. I have better view of the entire group and estimate the walker numbers to be at 10,000 plus.”

10,000?

“Keep me posted.” Michael replied, astonished at the city’s worth of undead aimed straight at them. The walkers

Add Comment