User Avatar Image

“Last Survivor” -- Walking Dead / We’re Alive Crossover (Carley is found and saved.)

posted by ZombieGoBoom on - last edited - Viewed by 6.1K users

This is a crossover fanfic with the “Walking Dead” game and “We're Alive” a podcast show. Those who are not familiar with We’re Alive, it is more like survivors battling the monsters from 28 Days Later and Left 4 Dead than facing the undead in a typical zombie apocalypse movie.

Unfortunately, the characters from We’re Alive are all situated in Los Angeles and I had to move them into Georgia to make this work.

And yes, Carley survives the gunshot in this one. If you don’t like it then write your own story. :p

FF.Net Link: Last Survivors

Feedback is needed. ;)

Chapter One: Wounds

"She... She.... She's dead! Why did she shoot her?"

"Get in! We're leaving this crazy bitch."

"Carley..."

"Lee, she's gone. You heard Ben, you can't help her. Get in or do I have to drag you!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

She woke as if coming out of a deep sleep to find herself face down in the dirt.

What happened?

Almost immediately she felt a painful burning sensation in her left cheek and eye. Her head started to throb as she tried to move her limbs.

Shit. I feel like crap. What happened?

Slowly she pushed herself up and that's when she noticed something else was wrong. She couldn't see out of her left eye. It was night but the moon and stars were out and giving off enough light to see out of her right eye but something was wrong with her left.

Fighting down her panic, she reached up and touched the left side of her face. When she pulled her hand back she found it to be covered in blood. Almost shaking in fear now, she looked around to find herself on the side of a long stretch of a road, lined with trees on either side.

How did I get here?

Then she heard them, the slow shuffling of feet through piles of fallen leaves and the bone chilling constant low moaning. Like right out of a foreboding bad dream, three walkers emerged out from the shadows of the trees, heading straight towards her.

Carley rose to her feet to flee but she almost blacked out from the effort. The sudden movement caused new pain to surged through her head, making it feel like it was about to split open.

The walkers closed in on their new prey.

No, get up and move!

Through sheer will and much fear for her life, Carley started to run as best as she could but her aching head made it almost impossible and for some reason her body had so little strength to give. At most, all she could manage was a fast walk down the road. Carley fumbled inside her coat for her gun but came up empty. The situation was growing from bad to worse.

I'm injured, most likely seriously, no weapon and being chased by walkers. Which one will do me in first?

Looking behind, one of the three walkers was actually gaining on her. Carley tried to move faster but every step felt like someone was taking a jackhammer to her already throbbing head.

The fast walker behind her sounded so close now that she didn't dare look back. Exhaustion was overtaking her and Carley started to cry from her good eye. Maybe it would be better to stop running and let it end now than drag this out needlessly.

Then there was a light from behind and the sound of an engine. A vehicle was approaching and it filled Carley with unexpected hope to keep moving. The vehicle was loud as it sped up and swerved around them to pass on her left. Carley looked and her jaw dropped. It was a humvee! An honestly to goodness US military humvee.

Still trying to keep ahead of the pursuing walkers, Carley tried to wave and call to them but she couldn’t catch her breath to shout. Worse, probably in her condition and in the dark they might think she was a walker too. Even in the gloom of night, she could see faces inside the vehicle windows looking out but they were already passing to accelerate away.

With all she had left, Carley finally screamed out. "PLEASE HELP ME!!!"

This caused her head ache even more but it made the humvee screeched to a halt about fifty feet ahead of her. The front side passenger door flew open and a man jumped out. It was too dark to make out his face but the outline of his body showed that he was dressed head to toe in full military combat gear. In his hands, he cradled an assault rifle. At that moment he was the most beautiful sight in the world to Carley.

He took a step towards her as he brought his weapon up. "If you are living, GET DOWN!" The man barked.

Carley almost nodded as she dropped to the hard pavement. An instant later, she heard three loud cracks from his discharging weapon. When her ears stopped ringing seconds later, the moaning of the walkers that had been dogging her from behind had been permanently silenced. Still on her hands and knees and gasping for breath, Carley couldn't stop shaking, unable to believe she was rescued. She then heard more voices coming from the vehicle.

"Watch the tree line!" A powerful and rough older voice commanded. "But shoot only if you have to!"

"I got it!" A much youthful male voice answered back.

Carley then heard people approaching. Lifting her head, she saw the soldier and next to him a woman in plain civilian clothing hurrying to her with flashlights. When they reached her, they shined their lights right into Carley's face, nearly blinding her. Her two would be rescuers actually paused in shock which scared Carley.

How bad are my injuries?

For a moment she feared they would turn around and abandon her.

"Please, don't leave me." Her plead was feeble and weak but she nearly at the end of her rope, her strength fading and she was terrified of dying out here alone.

The woman snapped out of it first and spoke with a gentle French accent. "We won’t." She knelt down next to her, taking Carley's hand into hers before turning to the soldier. "Angel, help me."

However, the soldier still hesitated before kneeling down before Carley, studying her damaged face with his flashlight.

“Wait.” He was more professional sounding and asked Carley direct. “Were you bitten?”

“I don’t know…” Carley muttered. She couldn’t remember what happened to her, her headache was getting even worse. “I was with a group at this motel and we were attacked by bandits. We escaped but… everything is a blank after that. Help me… please… please…”

Angel nodded and looked to the French woman. “Riley, this looks like a messy gunshot wound and not a bite. Let’s chance it.”

I was shot? I need a mirror to see how bad it is.

From the humvee, the young voice called to them. "I would hurry you two! We're doubled park and I'm seeing a ton of movement in the trees!"

Riley and Angel each took an arm and helped Carley to their vehicle and quickly placed her in the back. All the way to the humvee, Carley was almost delirious with gratitude, thanking them over and over. She wanted to kiss them.

Inside, Carley collapsed into her seat in a mixture of relief and exhaustion as the French woman took her place next to her on her right. To Carley’s left a large and older man with no hair and a grey beard, dressed in civilian cloths climbed in.

To the front, Angel hurried around into the passenger seat as the driver slide back behind the wheel pulling a pair of night vision goggles from his face. He turned back to them and he was a young black man, dressed in full combat gear like Angel.

"How is our..." He stopped when he looked at Carley and saw her face and nearly exclaimed. “Holy... Is she going to be all right?”

Carley could barely keep her good eye open now. On second thought, I don’t want that mirror.

"Just drive Saul." The French woman said urgently, as she reached in the back compartment for the first aid kit. “Burt, help me dress her wound.”

The older man leaned in closer to help Riley tend to Carley’s damaged face before saying in a gruff voice. “Radio ahead and warn them we have wounded coming in.”

“I’m already on it.” Angel said.

The humvee pulled away as dozens of walkers piled out onto the road from the forest. They mindlessly tried to follow the military vehicle as its taillights grew smaller into the night before disappearing around a bend in the road.

tbc

142 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • But Lee forgot to mention that taking from the car nearly killed all of them, just after saving them.

• Love it! After reading your story, I listened to We're Alive. Even better that I know more about the others :-)

• Take a look at this fan art I found that is dedicated to this story.
    commission__the_walking_dead__last_survi

• I was but either the last chapter is long as heck or the creator stopped writing it for a while.

• Maybe, but the creator was on here a few days ago.

• Sorry the delay but I have been very busy this summer. Also, I wasn’t sure how to bring this story to a proper conclusion. I rewrote sections of this chapter more times than I care to admit. This story should be finished by chapter 18. I appreciate all the feedback and I was the one who commissioned that picture to have it posted for later at the end of this story. How did you get your hands on it? No worries. ;)

Chapter 17: Ashes and Blood

The afternoon air was perfectly still with not a single breeze to be felt. This allowed the line of dark smoke to rise into the clear blue sky like a hanging thread. They were busy hitting new areas for possible supplies when they first spotted the column of smoke to the north. It was like a beacon for anyone for miles around to see, more than enough to draw them in to investigate. It was a ten minute drive before they arrived on the scene.

“Another fortified town,” Carley muttered to the group as they stared at the undefended wall before them and behind it, the rising smoke that brought them. “And no one is home.”

They honked the horn to their vehicle repeatedly when they first approached the wall with no response from anyone inside. Every so often, they’d drive into a town and find at least one section, or street walled off. Most of the time, it would be abandoned or overrun by walkers. If they did find people, they tend to open fire first. With survival becoming more difficult and bandits being a constant threat, mistrust, suspicion and hostility is now the normal attitude held towards all strangers.

Standing next to Carley, Burt and Lee also eyed the makeshift wall before them. Just behind them as a precaution, Angel remained at their vehicle, covering them with his rifle.

Someone had positioned a semi trailer length wise across the main street of the town before overturning it onto its side. Then they used it as a foundation to construct a wall from two by fours, corrugated steel, and plywood, anything to make a sturdy barrier. Definitely not pretty but the hastily built wall was ten feet tall and more than enough to keep any number of walkers out.

“We’ve came this far, might as well see what‘s inside.” Burt suggested to everyone.

“Who wants to go over the wall first?” Angel commented aloud as he scanned left and right along the surrounding roof tops for threats.

“I’ll go.” Carley and Lee said in unison.

The two immediately looked at each other and for a moment it appeared that they were about to argue. Burt watched and considered the wisdom of letting them work together outside the safety of the Nest. While Clementine might be safe behind the walls of the Nest, Lee and Carley worried about each other when one of them left the compound and something might happen to them. So naturally they often went out on the same patrols when possible to keep an eye out for each other. Unfortunately, some worried that they might end up putting someone else in jeopardy while trying to protect each other.

It would be smarter and safer to just keep them apart on patrols but they didn’t have that luxury with manpower. Carley was a good soldier with a deadly aim and Lee was very resourceful and handled pressure well and most of all, Burt trusted them both. They were dependable and he couldn’t see them letting their feelings for each other get in the way for the safety of the group.

At this moment, Burt just hoped they won’t fight over who goes over that wall first because he was in no mood to climb up it at his age.

Thankfully, Lee decided to avoid any fights between him and Carley. “Just be careful.” He told her.

Slinging her rifle, Carley smiled with relief. She appreciated that Lee cared but she‘s not some poor damsel that needs protecting.

“I’ll be quiet as a cat.” She told him.

“I thought you were a rooster.” Lee teased but still looked a little worried.

Standing at the base of the wall, Lee and Burt helped to boost Carley up. Peeking over the barricade, she carefully looked around making sure all was clear before pulling herself the rest of the way up onto the wall.

“I see the source of the smoke, a building caught fire.” She called down.

Carley found an aluminum ladder on the other side of the wall. She easily pulled it up and dropped it over the other side to allow Burt, Lee and Angel to climb up.

Now inside, they inspected the place together. Of all the spots inside a town that the residents could easily fortify, it would be the main street. Store buildings in a town’s core are usually built side by side allowing no gaps like alleyways. So boarding up any rear windows, doors and securing both ends of the street can do the job in building a defensive perimeter in keeping walkers or anyone else out. That’s what the people here did.

Moving cautiously down the street, Burt, Lee, Carley and Angel passed a small variety store, a couple restaurants, a hardware store, an insurance building, a pharmacy and a grocery store. Some of the buildings were boarded up in the event that if the walls blocking the streets should be breeched the people would have a secure place to flee to. The street was even fairly clean of trash. The people here tried to keep care of their home.

There were a few vehicles parked along the street. A quick check showed each car was working. Keys were in the ignition, the battery had a charge and the tank held a bit of gas.

Finally they reached the source of the smoke, a burnt down church. There wasn’t much left, most of it appeared to be made from wood and the flames consumed the building right down to its very foundation. If it wasn’t for the windless day, the entire block could have gone up.

Built behind the church, the area was walled off using three overturned tractor trailers forming another wall running between the neighboring buildings on either side of the church.

As they drew closer to the smoldering ruins, the question if this was an accident was quickly answered.

“An emptied gas can.” Lee commented, kicking the metal container close to the destroyed church. He looked around, getting a bad feeling about this place.

“Got another one over here,” Angel said, finding another emptied container. They all gripped their weapons a little tighter and glancing over their shoulders more. The ashes weren’t even cooled off yet.

For a moment they all stared back at the smoking remains of the church before Burt finally moved towards the cement steps, one of the few structures remaining of the building. Slowly, the rest of the group followed him.

Some of the ashes piled on the top of the steps were still glowing red hot. Burt looked carefully until he spotted something in the smoking debris at his feet. He pulled his knife out before kneeling down, probing the ashes with the long blade until they all heard a faint chink of metal. Slowly, Burt lifted up what he had found for all to see. Hanging from the end of his knife was a chain looped around two metal door handles, secured by a padlock.

“Oh shit.” Carley cursed. “Please don’t tell me that people were inside.”

Lee stepped pass Burt, moving closer to the edge of the church’s foundation to look down. There was nothing but smoldering ashes and scorched heavy support beams left but he could just make out charred remains of bodies, all piled together just below him. When the fire started, a lot of people were at the door, trying to get out but failed. Lee hoped they had succumbed to the smoke quickly and didn‘t suffer. The only other good thing was that there wasn’t much left for them to turn into walkers.

“Don’t look, Carley.” Lee whispered when he sensed her approaching from behind.

She heeded his advice and stepped away but Burt and Angel moved to Lee’s side and peered down. Angel didn’t say a word but he, Saul and Michael had seen situations like this many times after the first few days of the outbreak. People just went insane. Mass suicides on a scale never seen because everyone believed it was the end of times. God was finally passing his judgment on the human race and people were ending their lives because of that fear. Unfortunately, unless they ended their lives that also destroyed the brain all they were doing was making the situation worse by becoming walkers.

Angel remembered the number of walkers he’d spotted with slit wrists or people hanging themselves only to become walkers later, struggling at the end of a noose. If people knew what they would become after they died, they probably would have avoided committing suicide or at least waited until they could end their life gathered cleanly with a bullet. However staring at the charred bodies that spent their final moments trying to escape and the chained door handles, he knew this was a murder scene.

Burt just stared at the remains of the victims before muttering angrily. “This looks like it happened a little more than two hours ago. There might be a chance the people who did this might be around.”

“If they’re here,” Lee nodded, on the same page with Burt. “Then let’s find them.”

Moving carefully, they continued their search until they reached a street junction. The people here blocked two of them off. The one to the right was walled off like the street behind them. Straight ahead, they had a wall with a heavy barn door large enough for vehicles to drive through. The street to the left went on for about six buildings before it too ended at another wall.

Walking down this new street, their attention was drawn to the town bank that was heavily fortified. The windows were all bricked up and the glass front doors were replaced with heavy metal fire doors. Parked in front of it was a heavy pickup truck.

“That place looks like a castle.” Carley commented about the opposing bricked building.

Burt nodded. “Of all the structures here, a bank would be the sturdiest built.”

With weapons up and moving in two by two covering formation they approached the bank. Burt was in the lead while Carley acted as his wingman. Trailing just behind them, Angel and Lee provided cover.

The former marine checked the door and found it to be unlocked. With a nod to Carley and the others, he went inside. A second later, Carley followed him with Angel and Lee not far behind. The interior was dark with no apparent source of light inside, so Angel left the door open to let in the daylight.

He stood there surrounded by a blackened void with no care or fear. In fact he felt nothing or even remembered who or what he once was. No emotion, a single thought or even a pulse coursing through him. Then he heard the sound of a door opening and a faint light now lifting the darkness. It was then he became active. A single thought, no more like an instinct, a need to seek prey that was driving him now.

The inside of the bank was dark and even with the front door open they had to use their flashlights to see. Once switched on, the glow from their hand lanterns revealed a treasure trove of supplies and equipment all arranged neatly on tables and shelves. Generators, hand tools, car batteries, spare parts for vehicles, right to down to light bulbs and wood screws. The people here turned the bank into a secured storage depot.

Carley shined her light over several small boxes of fresh batteries of various types. “We could use much of this stuff.”

“They’re definitely well equipped,” Lee commented before he thought back to that station wagon. “We need to make sure there is no one left here before we start helping ourselves to their stuff.”

He heard sounds of prey. They were close and their flashlights and voices were drawing him closer.

“We would have encountered someone by now,” Burt replied. “Still we’ll do a thorough search of this place. No telling what else they…”

It then they heard something moving in the darkness further back into the room. They all turned their flashlights towards the direction of the sound as they raised their weapons.

“Who’s there?” Burt commanded. “Come on out!”

He moved from behind a shelf and spotted them. The way they moved and smelled. Prey! The mere sight of them triggered an aggression, a uncontrollable hunger. He must feed. He charged a dark skinned man who was the closest to him. His physical appearance meant nothing, just like the shotgun the prey was now aiming at him.

As soon as the walker appeared, Lee calmly leveled his shotgun at it. Just as the undead creature started to charge, Lee pulled the trigger. Buckshot at close range can just about stop anything even the dead if your aim is high enough for a headshot.

“On me!” Burt shouted just as the walker fell.

As one, they closed in with Burt who was in the center of the room and together they formed into a defensive circle, aiming their weapons and lights outward. They waited and listened for a minute.

“I think that was it.” Angel said.

“Okay,” Burt nodded forward. “Let finish our sweep. Everyone stay in sight and no wandering off.”

As they continued their search, Lee moved back to the walker he had shot. Kneeling down next to the body, Lee began to check him for anything of use. First removing a handgun holstered on his belt. Lee then noticed that this walker looked fresh with a single gunshot wound to the chest but he also smelled of… smoke.

He heard Carley’s footsteps as she knelt down to inspect the walker herself. “You have that troubled look, Lee.” She observed. “What is it?”

“I‘m not sure,” Lee commented softly. “I don’t think this guy was dead for long.”

He started to check the walker’s coat pockets. “Son of a bitch!” He cursed as he pulled something from the right pocket.

Carley tried to look. “What?”

He held up a used pack of matches, showing them to Carley.

“You think he started the fire?”

“He smells of smoke and has matches,” Lee said before shrugging. “What I think no longer matters. He’s dead.”

Suddenly they heard Angel voice calling to them. “Lee! Carley! Get over here!”

In the back of the bank, they found Burt and Angel standing to the entrance of the vault that was wide opened.

“Is everything okay?” Carley asked as she and Lee approached.

Angel glanced at them before stepping away to permit them to look inside. Shining their lights into the darken interior, they spotted three bodies lying prone on the floor but it what was lining the walls of the vault that finally caught their attention.

Lee’s jaw dropped and Carley’s good eye widened.

Hastily constructed wood shelves ran along the three walls of the vault and all filled with canned goods almost right to the ceiling.

“This is good as gold.” Lee whispered. Although they weren’t staving, food was always up high on their list of priorities, along with just staying alive. Then he aimed his flashlight on the three bodies. “Who are these people?”

Burt’s attention never left them, keeping a watchful eye as he held his gun at the ready if they should turn. “All three looked to be shot in the back, probably by their friend who you just shot, Lee.”

“What makes you think that, Burt?” Carley asked.

“The first two are face down with a bullet in their backs but the last one is on his side with several bullet wounds. He might have had time to turn and get his gun out to fire a shot off, scoring a hit. Look,” he pointed to the heavy metal door. “There’s blood splatter on the inside door of the vault.”

Lee agreed. “Considering they haven’t turned yet, they weren’t dead for long.”

“Why would bandits turn on each other?” Angel wondered, not that bunch of bandits killing each other off wasn’t a bad idea.

“I don’t think these are bandits.” Lee said. “We haven’t seen any other bodies besides the ones inside the church. These people here would have had guards on the walls protecting them. Where are they? They would have put up a fight if they were any good.”

Angel looked at Lee then back to the three bodies with disgust. “They murdered their own people?”

Burt muttered darkly. “Probably the very guards met to watch the walls and protect the rest of the people here.”

Carley looked pale. “They herded them into that church and set it afire?”

“Probably not by force,” Burt said. “You know what day it is?”

Carley shook her head. “Sorry, I have lost track of the days.”

“It’s Sunday.” Lee said quietly.

“Yeah,” Burt grunted. “They waited until they were all inside the church then chained the door and took gasoline and a lit match to it. After that they came in here to help themselves to the supplies but one got even greedier and shoots his three accomplices when their backs were turned but one managed to get him too.”

“If this is true then I hope this will give their victims some peace.” Carley said slowly, thinking of the people back at the burned down church.

As they watched, one of the bodies suddenly twitched.

“Ahhh,” Angel said aloud, lifting his rifle. “Anyone else see that?”

“Yeah, I saw it.” Lee replied. “We’d better put them down before they all decide to turn at the same time.”

“I hate wasting three perfectly good bullets on these guys.” Burt complained sarcastically.

“Who’ll do the honors?” Angel asked. “I guess I will.”

“I’ll do it.” Lee offered.

“No,” Burt shook his head. “I’m in charge of this little group and I should do it. I just hope my bullets will forgive me.”

“I’ll do it.” Carley readied her rifle and when she saw the three men opening their mouths to speak she quickly added. “Ladies first, remember?”

She didn’t wait for any replies before walking up to the bodies and fired a single round into each of their heads. And with each pull of the trigger, her thoughts were on the victims at the church.

Afterwards, they decided to drag the four bodies outside onto the middle of the street. Lee glanced at the four corpses for a moment before asking to the others.

“Are we going to burn them?”

“Fuck them,” Burt said. “Let the rodents have a meal for once.”

“They’ll stink up the place,” Lee explained to him. “Also, we still don’t really know if they’re responsible for what happened to the church.”

“It‘s good enough for me,” Burt answered. “Besides, I’m not going waste time or fuel to burn them.”

“There’s a lot of stuff here and it’ll take a few trips to haul everything back to the Nest,” Angel reasoned. “Let’s burn them and be done…”

Angel turned his head just in time to spot two armed figures moving down the street towards them, darting around the parked vehicles. One appeared to be lining them up for a shot with a rifle.

“Watch it!” he shouted, raising his M4 and fired a quick burst. He missed, shattering a vehicle window but it forced their attackers to dive for cover behind the car.

Burt ducked seeking shelter in the doorway to the bank while Angel, Lee and Carley huddled behind the nearby truck.

“How many?” Burt asked.

“Two!” Angel replied. “Both armed with rifles.”

From the doorway of the bank, Burt dared to glance around the corner to try and survey their attacker’s locations. The moment he did, there was loud crack of a rifle and a bullet struck the wall inches from his face.

“They’re good shots.” The ex-marine commented, moving further into cover trying to think of a plan to get them out of this mess.

“We can’t stay here.” Lee said. “We’ve got to get out of this dead-end street.”

Carley eyed a furniture store across the street from them. It was boarded up but the store front was about three hundred feet long. It easily dominated everything on that side of the street. It even had two different entrances on oppose ends. One doorway closest to them looked ajar, the other door was located down the street close to their attackers.

“If we can reach that furniture store, we could use it to flank them!” Carley said.

“Then do it! You and Lee flank them,” Burt ordered. “Angel and I will cover you and keep them pinned down.”

More gunfire was hurled dow

Add Comment