User Avatar Image

“Last Survivor” -- Walking Dead / We’re Alive Crossover (Carley is found and saved.)

posted by ZombieGoBoom on - last edited - Viewed by 3.5K users

This is a crossover fanfic with the “Walking Dead” game and “We're Alive” a podcast show. Those who are not familiar with We’re Alive, it is more like survivors battling the monsters from 28 Days Later and Left 4 Dead than facing the undead in a typical zombie apocalypse movie.

Unfortunately, the characters from We’re Alive are all situated in Los Angeles and I had to move them into Georgia to make this work.

And yes, Carley survives the gunshot in this one. If you don’t like it then write your own story. :p

FF.Net Link: Last Survivors

Feedback is needed. ;)

Chapter One: Wounds

"She... She.... She's dead! Why did she shoot her?"

"Get in! We're leaving this crazy bitch."

"Carley..."

"Lee, she's gone. You heard Ben, you can't help her. Get in or do I have to drag you!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

She woke as if coming out of a deep sleep to find herself face down in the dirt.

What happened?

Almost immediately she felt a painful burning sensation in her left cheek and eye. Her head started to throb as she tried to move her limbs.

Shit. I feel like crap. What happened?

Slowly she pushed herself up and that's when she noticed something else was wrong. She couldn't see out of her left eye. It was night but the moon and stars were out and giving off enough light to see out of her right eye but something was wrong with her left.

Fighting down her panic, she reached up and touched the left side of her face. When she pulled her hand back she found it to be covered in blood. Almost shaking in fear now, she looked around to find herself on the side of a long stretch of a road, lined with trees on either side.

How did I get here?

Then she heard them, the slow shuffling of feet through piles of fallen leaves and the bone chilling constant low moaning. Like right out of a foreboding bad dream, three walkers emerged out from the shadows of the trees, heading straight towards her.

Carley rose to her feet to flee but she almost blacked out from the effort. The sudden movement caused new pain to surged through her head, making it feel like it was about to split open.

The walkers closed in on their new prey.

No, get up and move!

Through sheer will and much fear for her life, Carley started to run as best as she could but her aching head made it almost impossible and for some reason her body had so little strength to give. At most, all she could manage was a fast walk down the road. Carley fumbled inside her coat for her gun but came up empty. The situation was growing from bad to worse.

I'm injured, most likely seriously, no weapon and being chased by walkers. Which one will do me in first?

Looking behind, one of the three walkers was actually gaining on her. Carley tried to move faster but every step felt like someone was taking a jackhammer to her already throbbing head.

The fast walker behind her sounded so close now that she didn't dare look back. Exhaustion was overtaking her and Carley started to cry from her good eye. Maybe it would be better to stop running and let it end now than drag this out needlessly.

Then there was a light from behind and the sound of an engine. A vehicle was approaching and it filled Carley with unexpected hope to keep moving. The vehicle was loud as it sped up and swerved around them to pass on her left. Carley looked and her jaw dropped. It was a humvee! An honestly to goodness US military humvee.

Still trying to keep ahead of the pursuing walkers, Carley tried to wave and call to them but she couldn’t catch her breath to shout. Worse, probably in her condition and in the dark they might think she was a walker too. Even in the gloom of night, she could see faces inside the vehicle windows looking out but they were already passing to accelerate away.

With all she had left, Carley finally screamed out. "PLEASE HELP ME!!!"

This caused her head ache even more but it made the humvee screeched to a halt about fifty feet ahead of her. The front side passenger door flew open and a man jumped out. It was too dark to make out his face but the outline of his body showed that he was dressed head to toe in full military combat gear. In his hands, he cradled an assault rifle. At that moment he was the most beautiful sight in the world to Carley.

He took a step towards her as he brought his weapon up. "If you are living, GET DOWN!" The man barked.

Carley almost nodded as she dropped to the hard pavement. An instant later, she heard three loud cracks from his discharging weapon. When her ears stopped ringing seconds later, the moaning of the walkers that had been dogging her from behind had been permanently silenced. Still on her hands and knees and gasping for breath, Carley couldn't stop shaking, unable to believe she was rescued. She then heard more voices coming from the vehicle.

"Watch the tree line!" A powerful and rough older voice commanded. "But shoot only if you have to!"

"I got it!" A much youthful male voice answered back.

Carley then heard people approaching. Lifting her head, she saw the soldier and next to him a woman in plain civilian clothing hurrying to her with flashlights. When they reached her, they shined their lights right into Carley's face, nearly blinding her. Her two would be rescuers actually paused in shock which scared Carley.

How bad are my injuries?

For a moment she feared they would turn around and abandon her.

"Please, don't leave me." Her plead was feeble and weak but she nearly at the end of her rope, her strength fading and she was terrified of dying out here alone.

The woman snapped out of it first and spoke with a gentle French accent. "We won’t." She knelt down next to her, taking Carley's hand into hers before turning to the soldier. "Angel, help me."

However, the soldier still hesitated before kneeling down before Carley, studying her damaged face with his flashlight.

“Wait.” He was more professional sounding and asked Carley direct. “Were you bitten?”

“I don’t know…” Carley muttered. She couldn’t remember what happened to her, her headache was getting even worse. “I was with a group at this motel and we were attacked by bandits. We escaped but… everything is a blank after that. Help me… please… please…”

Angel nodded and looked to the French woman. “Riley, this looks like a messy gunshot wound and not a bite. Let’s chance it.”

I was shot? I need a mirror to see how bad it is.

From the humvee, the young voice called to them. "I would hurry you two! We're doubled park and I'm seeing a ton of movement in the trees!"

Riley and Angel each took an arm and helped Carley to their vehicle and quickly placed her in the back. All the way to the humvee, Carley was almost delirious with gratitude, thanking them over and over. She wanted to kiss them.

Inside, Carley collapsed into her seat in a mixture of relief and exhaustion as the French woman took her place next to her on her right. To Carley’s left a large and older man with no hair and a grey beard, dressed in civilian cloths climbed in.

To the front, Angel hurried around into the passenger seat as the driver slide back behind the wheel pulling a pair of night vision goggles from his face. He turned back to them and he was a young black man, dressed in full combat gear like Angel.

"How is our..." He stopped when he looked at Carley and saw her face and nearly exclaimed. “Holy... Is she going to be all right?”

Carley could barely keep her good eye open now. On second thought, I don’t want that mirror.

"Just drive Saul." The French woman said urgently, as she reached in the back compartment for the first aid kit. “Burt, help me dress her wound.”

The older man leaned in closer to help Riley tend to Carley’s damaged face before saying in a gruff voice. “Radio ahead and warn them we have wounded coming in.”

“I’m already on it.” Angel said.

The humvee pulled away as dozens of walkers piled out onto the road from the forest. They mindlessly tried to follow the military vehicle as its taillights grew smaller into the night before disappearing around a bend in the road.

tbc

139 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have been waiting for this. I am even more psyched for how this is going to end, especially now that Michonne has joined the fray. (Please let Lee and Carley and Clementine live in the end.)

@ZombieGoBoom said: I was the one who commissioned that picture to have it posted for later at the end of this story. How did you get your hands on it?

I found the picture on Deviantart.com and wanted to show it here. :o Just saying. :D

• The end is near. Hope that we get to see it soon.

• I hope the change did not just kill it.

• This thread has been corrupted. The chapters have been cut in half and we're all just one chapter away from the finale. DAMMIT!!!

• **Chapter 18: Survival **

At the scene of the massacre, they stood on the top steps of the burned down church. The raising smoke brought them here to this very spot. Since the start of the outbreak, they all been through hell, seen more than they like to admit and had even done horrible things in the name of survival but nothing they did ever approached to this bloody scale and cruelty. Staring at the victims remains amongst the ashes in silence, they were all thinking the same thing. Who did this and where do we find them?

Their attention soon focused back on the fresh footprints they had found when they first came upon the destroyed church. The moment they found the vehicle outside the town walls, they had been on the owner’s trail ever since.

“The footprints head further in.” Daryl said, slinging his crossbow for his AK-47 rifle instead.

Rick turned away the church, some of the ashes were still glowing hot. “Do you know how many?”

“Four.” the young southern said, inspecting the tracks in the soft sandy soil.

“Are we going after them?” Glenn asked, still bothered by what he saw. There could be a hundred bodies in that church.

“We are and to get some answers.” Rick replied, the lawman part of him was looking for the truth as to what happened here and to hand out some justice.

Michonne stepped up next to him. “And if they’re responsible?”

Rick looked at her, knowing what she intended to do if they did catch up with them. “Let’s just find them first.”

They moved forward, not sure what they’d find further ahead. More carnage like what happened at the church? A possible ambush by the people who did this? Survivors that escaped the church massacre and are in desperate need of help?

They just reached a boarded up sub shop when they heard a gunshot.

“That was close,” Daryl said. “Down the street to the left.”

By the time they reached the street corner, they heard three more shots, one after another. These also came to their left, down the only street remaining that was not blocked off.

Rick and Daryl were on the left side of the street as they approached while Glee and Michonne moved up on the other side of the street, creeping slowly and sticking close to a couple of parked vehicles.

Just ahead a heavy door opened to a building that looked like a fortified bank and several figures came out dragging bodies behind them.

Rick and Daryl ducked behind a car. Across from them, Michonne and Glee only had a street bench for cover. It was then she tried a door to a furniture store than stretched down the street almost across from the bank. Michonne signaled to Rick that she and Glenn were going in to use the building to get in closer.

As this happened, Daryl watched and counted four people, three males and one female. One was in full military gear and the others were dressed in a mixture of civilian and military clothing. Weaponry wise, they were well equipped too, with military looking rifles, handguns and a single pump action shotgun. They were busy piling four bodies into the middle of the street and talking to each other.

Crouching from behind the car, Daryl raised his rifle to use the scope to take a closer look at the corpses. Studying the bodies through the hunting scope they looked too fresh to be walkers with gunshots to the head.

Suddenly, the one in uniform spotted him. He lifted his rifle, shouting out a warning before opening fire.

The windows in the car they were hiding behind were instantly shattered out by a three round burst. That little display of firepower told Rick that they did have at least some military grade weapons.

Rick had limited options with the bullets already flying. They couldn’t figure out who they were and Rick sure wasn’t going to take a chance and wave the white flag just to introduce themselves. He sure wasn’t going to let another Woodbury happen either. If they belong to a larger group, they can’t afford to let these people to escape and tell about them. Also, they couldn’t retreat with Michonne and Glenn in the furniture store and they needed supplies.

There was only one choice they ever really had since the first outbreak. Survival.

“Let them have it!” Rick told Daryl as he popped up and took aim at the old man peering at them in the doorway of the bank and fired. Missed!

They continued to exchange gunfire for several moments when a sudden fury of increased gunfire poured down, forcing them to duck further behind the car for cover. The vehicle protecting them quickly became riddled with bullet holes.

“Two of them are running for the opposite door of that furniture store!” Daryl shouted as he peered around the car.

“Stop them!” Rick yelled back.

Daryl tried to aim without getting his head taken off. It was a black guy and a spooky chic, with an eye patch darting right across the street. He took a couple of quick shots but missed. When the black guy reached the door, he stepped in but he held it open like a perfect gentleman for the spooky chic. By the time he retook aim, ‘Spooky’ just raced inside but the gentleman’s arm and shoulder were still partially exposed.

He took a shot just as another hail of bullet struck the car close to him. Daryl’s aim was thrown off as he fired, missing again.

He cursed, hopping that Michonne and Glenn could handle them. Who is he kidding? Michonne would make short work of the two that just went inside. With luck, Glenn wouldn’t slip and fall on the bloody mess she’ll leave in her wake.

Inside the furniture store, Michonne and Glenn made their way through the building. The place had been turned into living accumulations and blankets were hanging from the ceiling to create makeshift rooms that were slowing their progress. The last thing they wanted was to hurry and run into a hidden walker as they tried to reach other side of the building.

Then they heard the gunshots from outside. Rick and Daryl were in obvious trouble and Michonne and Glenn moved quicker.

Up ahead they soon heard a door open and the footsteps of people rushing inside. Michonne signalled to Glenn to slow up as she advanced further ahead. She heard the voice of a man and a woman just on the other side of a suspended bed blanket in front of her. Michonne listened as the female was concerned about her male companion possibly being injured.

She decided now was the time to strike while they were distracted. The fighting had already started outside and now it was them or us. In this new world those who hesitate usually don‘t survive long.

Michonne peered behind the blanket and spotted the female standing with her back to her. The male was standing further away and in front of the woman who was blocking his line of sight to anything behind her. They were both vulnerable.

Gripping her katanna, Michonne pushed the blanket aside to attack. Her plan was simple and very direct. Kill the woman before pushing her lifeless body into her friend. This would prevent the male from using any of his weapons for a few seconds giving Michonne enough time to deal with him next.

Halfway to her target, the man spotted her and shouted out a warning. The female reacted quickly, spinning about face her.

Too late for you, Michonne thought as she drew back her sword before swinging her bladed weapon straight at the woman’s neck. There was no way the woman could bring her rifle around in time to shoot.

CLINK!

Michonne felt the jarring impacted through her arms. Either through perfect timing, dumb luck or the grace of God, the woman’s rifle saved her life. The female held her weapon just high enough as she turned with the barrel pointed upward to block Michonne’s attack at the right moment.

For the first time, she and the female eyes met, no, one eye. Where the woman’s left eye should be was only a leather eye patch. All that Michonne saw in her expression was shock and confusion.

She’s obviously wondering who the hell I am…

Who the hell is this?!!

Before Carley even finished that thought, Michonne attacked again. In a flash, she spun about in the opposite direction, crouching down low, her sword blade aimed for Carley’s legs.

Carley reacted by pure instinct and almost threw her rifle to block that cutting blade.

CLINK! The blade struck Carley’s rifle again but she was a split second too slow and Carley felt the blade biting into her lower thigh, drawing blood.

FUCK! That hurts!!

Michonne then jumped into the air and brought her weapon up and over her head, bringing her sword down on Carley like she was about to chop firewood. Carley didn’t have time to even consider trying to shoot her. She was too damned fast and too close. All she could do was protect herself by raising her rifle up over her head to block the strike. Michael and Burt taught her some close quarters combat for fighting human opponents, like fighting bandits but against ‘Samurai Jane’. This was a whole new level.

“Lee! Shoot this bitch!” Carley screamed, having frightful images of herself being sliced up like a tomato if something wasn‘t done soon.

Lee was moving, but found himself shoving and kicking over furniture trying to get around for opening to use his shotgun as the two women fought. He was so focused on coming to Carley’s aid that he failed to notice the dark figure closing on him from behind.

Lee felt something slamming against the back of his head and he fell, dropping his shotgun as he hit the floor. He was trying to shake the stars from his eyes when he heard a demanding male voice shout.

“Don’t move!”

Turning his head slightly to the right, Lee saw a pair of feet standing close. Lee didn’t need to lift his eyes to know there was a weapon trained on him. Not far away he could hear Carley still fighting for her life against that sword wielding manic. He had to save her!

Still gathering his wits, Lee tried to think of a plan and maybe get this fellow talking to get his guard down. “Who are you? Why are you attacking us?”

“Shut up!“ The man snapped back. “We saw what you did at the church.”

You got to be kidding! We’re getting the blame for that?

“It wasn’t us.” Lee replied, trying to turn his head to see the man’s face.

“Eyes down!” The man shouted.

Carley felt that she was trapped in one of those horror movies and someone even scarier than Michael Myers was coming after her. She blocked several slashing attacks but polymer plastic parts of her rifle were flying off it now. More worrying, Carley was expecting at any moment to lose some fingers while holding her rifle up as a shield.

She kept retreating, backing up and hoping for Lee to come to rescue but he had seemingly disappeared. He never would have abandoned her, so something must have happened. Samurai Jane had to have a partner.

If they did anything to him!

Suddenly, Carley backed right into a wall and Michonne was right on top of her, with her sword raised and ready to finish her off. In one swift motion, Michonne lunged forward plunging her sword straight for Carley’s chest. She tried to block the attack with her rifle or to move out of the way but it was coming too fast to react in time. Carley watched as if in slow motion, the sword piercing the center of her carrying vest, right for her heart.

Carley screamed.

Lee heard Carley’s scream.

Fucking bastards!

She was being murdered! His blood boiled as his rage clouded everything in red. He was going to make everyone of them pay for harming her.

They’re all dead!

With a roaring shout and total disregard to his life, Lee stood up like a shot, lashing out against the man who was holding him at gunpoint. Swinging his arms out almost blindly as he rose, he felt his right arm come into contact with a shotgun barrel. He pushed it up and away just as it discharged harmlessly into the ceiling.

With both hands, he grabbed for the weapon and with enraged strength he pulled it from the shocked man’s grasp. Now, in control of the shotgun, he slammed the butt plate of the weapon into the man’s chest, knocking him flat.

Lee moved over the fallen figure, aiming the shotgun before pulling the fore grip back to chamber a new shell and eject the old one. His finger tightened on the trigger when he finally saw the man’s face. Lee paused as his eyes widened in disbelief.

“Glenn?”

The young Korean looked up in surprise, seeing the face of the man standing over him for the first time. It felt like another lifetime ago since they last saw each other.

“Lee?” He coughed, holding his hands up defensively.

Lee was nearly too stun to speak. For a moment, the shock and confusion of the situation helped to contain his rage. “Glenn… What the fuck? Why?”

Glenn was just as shocked, coming face to face with someone who he thought he would never see again. “We spotted your vehicle outside and found the church…” He tried to explain. “Then we heard the gunshots and saw you dragging out those bodies from the bank. We thought you did all of this…”

“We didn’t!” Lee shouted angrily.

With that, he turned and raced to try and save Carley.

CLINK!

The plunging sword was stopped cold as the razor sharp point struck something metal under Carley’s carrier vest. For a moment, the short brunette couldn‘t believe that she was still alive. Michonne was equally surprised that her sword failed to strike home.

*She’s wearing ballistic armor! * Michonne realized.

With a sudden surged of fresh adrenaline flowing through Carley veils, she screamed again but in fury, slamming her rifle into the black woman’s face.

As Michonne staggered backward from the hit, Carley stepped after her and rammed the butt stock of her rifle into her face again. At that moment, Carley wished she had the heavier and the solidly built AK-47. Its steel and solid wood construction makes for a better clubbing weapon for close fighting. Much better than her light weight metal and polymer plastic AR-15 which feels like it was going to come apart any second in her hands. However, the last hit got Samurai Jane to drop her sword.

Carley tried to swing the barrel of her rifle around to shoot and end this nightmare when Michonne lunged at her, snarling in defiance with fists raised. She struck Carley on her right cheek, setting her world spinning. As the smaller woman hit the floor, her rifle slipped from her grasp. However, Carley still had enough her wits about her to kick her feet out, striking the other woman in the left knee. Carley heard the woman cry as she fell close next to her.

Carley right hand immediately reached for her holster. With my luck I might need silver bullets to stop her!

Still wincing from the kick to the knee she received from Carley, Michonne looked over and spotted her sword almost within reach. A short lunge across the floor and she had her katanna sword in her hand instantly.

The one eyed woman’s luck will end! Michonne promised herself.

Carley pulled the flap to the holster open and her hand closed around the comforting handle of her glock.

Michonne rose to her knees, ignoring the pain in her left leg as she spun to drive her sword home and finish off her opponent once all for all. The one eyed woman’s chest was protected but her neck is not.

Carley rolled, flipping the safety off in one quick motion as she brought her gun up to shoot and prepared to empty the entire clip if needed.

In that moment, they both froze. Carley had her glock pointed right at Michonne’s chest while her opponent had the point of her sword a mere inch from her neck.

The two women almost sneered at one another, exchanging fiery and defiant stares.

“Drop it, Samurai Jane!” Carley growled.

The Michonne almost cracked an amused smile, not flinching for a second in their standoff. “Willing to grant me mercy like those in that church you burned down!”

“Listen dumbass! We didn‘t… ” Carley started to say.

“DROP THE SWORD OR I’LL DROP YOU!”

Finally, much to Carley’s relief, Lee appeared leveling a shotgun at Michonne. Then everything got more confusing when she heard a second and familiar voice.

“STOP!”

Glenn? Carley couldn’t really tell because she and Samurai Jane were locked in a staring contest and had no intention of blinking first.

The young man appeared next to Lee, gesturing to everyone with outstretched hands. “Oh, God… Carley? Everyone, just STOP!”

He turned his attention towards the black woman holding the sword at Carley’s throat. “Michonne! We made a mistake here. These people didn’t do it.”

Michonne’s eyes never wandered from Carley’s. “What makes you so sure?”

“I know them, both of them.” Glenn told her. “I met them over a year ago. They wouldn’t have done that.”

Michonne was skeptical. “A year is a long time for people to change, especially now. How can you trust them now?”

“Because Lee could have killed me a minute ago.” Glenn said.

Michonne paused as the logic to Glenn’s words finally registered and to realize they might have been wrong. Still staring intently at Carley, Michonne finally lowered her sword. Both Glenn and Lee started to breathe easier.

Carley however kept glaring angrily at her but she also finally lowered her gun, letting Michonne stand up and limp away.

Lee also lowered his shotgun as he hurried to Carley’s side, while keeping an cautious eye on Michonne and Glenn.

“Are you okay?” He asked the short brunette.

Carley struggled to her feet, still feeling the stinging cut on her left leg. “I’m fine Lee.”

He finally saw the blood on the floor and the dark stain running down her left pant leg. “You’re bleeding.”

“I said, I’m fine,” Carley repeated. “It’s just a cut. Just slap a band-aid on it and I’ll be good.” She then cast her attention to the young Korean. “Good to see you Glenn but can’t say the same for the company you keep.”

“I have no excuse for what happened,” Michonne simply said. “I am thankful no one died but that might change soon if we don‘t get the others to stop shooting at each other.”

Outside, gunfire continued to erupt.

• Okay, I think I broke this part of the forum. I have my story posted over at fanfiction.net for easier reading. Last Survivors This part of the story is turning out a lot longer than I thought. Expect a few more chapters before the 'ending'.

• Looks like the shit has really hit the fan now. Please continue writing.

• Can't wait to see what happens next!

Add Comment