Menu
User Avatar Image

You guys know more about computers than I do...

posted by Zeek on - last edited - Viewed by 945 users

...and I doubt this belongs in the Support Forum, as it has nothing to do with the games or the forum, but hell, I thought I'd ask just to get some information. So, here we go!

I put together an External Hard Drive from an old WD 40GB Desktop hard drive I had from my last machine. It's about a year old, and it's been acting weird every time I turn it on for the last week and a half.

Basically, the disk will spin when it turns on and then stop about half a second later. Another half a second after it stops, it starts to spin again only to repeat the cycle for about 30 seconds. This happens both when I turn it on and after it is turned on when I connect it to the computer.

I've defragmented it, scanned and fixed bad sectors, did a sweep for viruses, and every other thing I could think of that may be related to the hard drive's data. And it still does that "Spin on, Spin off" ticking thing every time I turn it on.

Should I be worried? And if so, what can I do to fix the problem?

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It could just be dying. I know more about software than hardware, but it sounds to me like it's on it's last legs.

• Maybe check that the drive is sitting tightly in the external case? all screws in nice and tight?

Otherwise, it could very well be a hardware failure - back up the data and get a new drive! Hard drives are getting cheaper and cheaper nowadays, less than $1 per Gb (in Aussie Dollars, anyway) up to about the 500Gb mark... after that it gets a little more expensive.

• Got any good suggestions as to what to buy that would fit in a case designed for a 3.5" E-IDE/ATA hard drive?

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

You should check if the problem persists after attaching the drive internally. If it doesn't there is a problem with the External interface or some sort of incompatibility or misconfiguration.
    If the problem persists, check the drive with WD's tools.

• See, I would never be able to figure out these things on my own. Thanks!:D

• @jmm said: You should check if the problem persists after attaching the drive internally. If it doesn't there is a problem with the External interface or some sort of incompatibility or misconfiguration.
    If the problem persists, check the drive with WD's tools.

Unfortunately, I don't have an extra slot internally for this hard drive. That's currently taken up by a backup drive that came with the computer. It's only 4GBs, but it contains all the opertating files for every piece of hardware unique to my computer's front panel. I guess that's what I get for buying a gaming computer with a Digital Media manager for all those USB, Compact Flash, and SD Memory Cards I've used over the course of my digital photo classes.:p

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

Well, since it is a backup drive, you could switch it for testing.

That is, disconnect your backup drive and attach the "old" disk.
    Remember to re-run the BIOS disk detection procedure after switching the disks

• Well, the driver hooks the function to the disc manual operation of the DOS window inside the formatting graphic card.

I think your thread title was wrong in my case. :D

• @jmm said: Well, since it is a backup drive, you could switch it for testing.

That is, disconnect your backup drive and attach the "old" disk.
    Remember to re-run the BIOS disk detection procedure after switching the disks

I thought about that after my post, and much to my surprise, the inside is different than what they tech who helpped me with this computer told me.

I do have space for the hard drive, but I lack a power connection and extra slot on the CABLE to the mother board. Further complicating it, I only have one hard drive. I guess what they did was give me a back-up PARTITION and not a back up DRIVE. Silly me.:o I thought I didn't have space inside of the computer.

Add Comment