User Avatar Image

season 1 dvd rom game (and general thoughts about disc checks)

posted by davech1987 on - last edited - Viewed by 655 users

i am just wondering do you still need the cd roms of each of the games to play the whole of season 1 because i read in a review ocz it said

and the interface to access them is not as creative as you may have hoped. In addition, the entire season uses a glut of hard disk space but still requires the CD-ROM in order to play

does that mean i need the cd roms to play the season 1 collect or can i get them all from the dvd rom

thanks

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The disc from Telltale's online store uses a DVD-rom. The one in retail stores like Wal-mart is a CD-rom. Whichever disc you use, you need to have that disc in your drive to play the game. Basically.

• But it's just to authenticate the game. it doesn't pull data from the disc past the launch of it.

• It also doesn't really use a glut of space. My entire TellTale install folder clocks in at 1.37 Gigabytes. Nowadays that ain't so much. John Woo's Stranglehold looks to require a minimum of 15 Gigs! Even 2 Gigs doesn't seem too big a footprint anymore. And as for still requiring the disk, meh, as long as it runs smooth I don't care where it draws its data from.

• 15 gigs??? Thats why I buy games on consoles (unless its PC only like S&M)...

Either way, I dont mind too much either...The DVD looks cool as well...swirly...

• [quote='-=[The_Razgriz_Ace]=-;41560']15 gigs??? Thats why I buy games on consoles (unless its PC only like S&M)...

Either way, I dont mind too much either...The DVD looks cool as well...swirly...[/quote]

Games are becoming bigger in size, but at the same time people's hard drives are coming bigger.

• @Guybrush Threepwood said: Games are becoming bigger in size, but at the same time people's hard drives are coming bigger.

Unless they can't afford upgrading every year. My HDD is only 80gb :( Including my mp3s I could only install about 2 Stranglehold games and nothing more

• Terabyte, 1,000 Gig, drives are now pretty common options on prebuilt machines. Give it two or three years, at most, and they'll be standard.

My main drive is only 75 Gig but I have never dropped below about 10 Gig of free space, which is usually due to the fact that I don't kepp many games installed for long periods of time, except SNM, Half Life series, and Freelancer.

• @Dedlok said: But it's just to authenticate the game. it doesn't pull data from the disc past the launch of it.

Yes, and I'm not too thrilled with that either. Ever since the days of the Commodore 64 I've hated the need to insert a "key disk" because of the chances of the key disk (or in this case key disc) failing, getting lost/stolen, etc.

So, I bought the entire season as a downloadable, and then I paid for the DVD (and some other goodies) when it was available. The family just went to Baltimore this weekend and I refuse to bring any original media when I travel. Lo and behold, the Sam and Max DVD has that @!%#ing SecuROM copy protection on it, so I couldn't even successfully use an image of the DVD either!

D*mn it! I am so sick and tired of being treated like a potential criminal for media that I've legally purchased!

"Hey, thanks for buying our software, but because we don't trust you worth a d*mn we're going to make sure that you lose your Fair Use rights. But we appreciate you spending your money on our products anyway. Please enjoy our game as well as being treated like a potential criminal even though we know that the copy protection will be broken in a matter of days or weeks anyway by those people who don't give a rat's rear end about the law."

Sorry for the rant, but this issue has been a pet peeve of mine for a l-o-n-g time.

• Disc-check sure is annoying. That's why I haven't used the DVD for playing yet. On the other hand, I would rather have a disc with SecuRom than no disc at all. The disc was more like a free giveaway for the downloadable episodes.
    I still hope the S2 discs (telltale and retail versions) won't have any protection, since it hinders piracy only to a small degree and is a nuisance to the customers. But if telltale sticks to protecting their discs, then so be it.

@Col_Shaggy said: Terabyte, 1,000 Gig, drives are now pretty common options on prebuilt machines.

I would rather call it "available" then "common".. :D

• The disc has some really awesome splash screens/episode selection menus. I love it. :D

Add Comment