User Avatar Image

Anyone else feel cheapened?

posted by Accall on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

Wondering what you guys think of this; the more I think about the last 5 minutes of the game, the more I get a little pissed off at it.
At first, I thought the twist with Lee getting bitten was well done and fitting, being that the next episode is called No Time Left. However, how he came to get bitten is what's getting me worked up. It feels way too plot-convenient.
I mean, Clem loses the Walkie Talkie when she's abducted - okay. But right next to a trash bin? That casually happens to contain a zombie? And the zombie doesn't wake up from the constant static, but when it's silently picked up? Come on. There would've been better times for Lee to get bitten than something as plot-conveniently random as this.

52 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • There's also sight and smell which could have gained the walkers attention.

It seemed to fit for me, at that moment Lee's guard was down somewhat.

• Part of me agrees with you that I was mighty suspicious of the spot next to the walkie talkie just big enough to fit a human. Yet I think the basis of the reason he got bitten is solid.

Lee weakens himself through the bond with Clementine, whether you think it's worth it or not. When something involves Clementine he usually lowers his guard (for example, falling asleep without handing the walky talky to say Kenny)

It's only fitting that this weakness in the Walking Dead universe proves to be his downfall. He should have known to check that spot but didn't.

Also, the hat and the walkie talkie are two things that mean the world to Clem. To me these were signs that Clem didn't leave voluntary. She didn't happen to loose it, it was taken from her for Lee to find it.

• Remember the beginning of the game where a bunch of TV's making noise wasnt enough to distract the zombies?

A bit of static from a walkie talkie isnt good enough.

• @DarcKage said: Remember the beginning of the game where a bunch of TV's making noise wasnt enough to distract the zombies?

Actually they did take notice and gathered around it. They just didn't stick around. Plus, the Walkie Talkie was lying only 3 feet away from him.

Also, the hat and the walkie talkie are two things that mean the world to Clem. To me these were signs that Clem didn't leave voluntary. She didn't happen to loose it, it was taken from her for Lee to find it.

That's a very good point. I wagered this too, but what would the Radio Guy gain from having Lee bitten?

• @DarcKage said: Remember the beginning of the game where a bunch of TV's making noise wasnt enough to distract the zombies?

A bit of static from a walkie talkie isnt good enough.

Actually, they were; that's how you clear the street to get the pharmacy keys, by breaking the store window so the walkers can hear the TVs behind the glass. :p

I've also said the same thing about the bite being awfully contrived. Plot-induced stupidity is one of my pet peeves, and dammit I saw it coming. "Oh, I'm just going to shove my unprotected arm right here where I can't see". As I've said elsewhere, people that live in scorpion country look inside their shoes and shake them out for a reason. You become hyper-vigilant with that kind of stuff.

Hell, it was even said in the previous episode that they're "always worrying about the ones they can't see".

• Actually, I thought Clem was hiding behind that piece of wood next to the trash cans, so I went over there instead of picking up the talkie. That seemed to make more sense than the walker lunging at Lee while he has the radio, as I disturbed the thing's place before it jumped at me.

• @Rock114 said: Actually, I thought Clem was hiding behind that piece of wood next to the trash cans, so I went over there instead of picking up the talkie. That seemed to make more sense than the walker lunging at Lee while he has the radio, as I disturbed the thing's place before it jumped at me.

I didn't think Clem was hiding, but I did think it was odd that it was clickable... So I checked it out and was not surprised when a walker appeared.
    I was, however, extremely upset at how well Lee fights off the walker and STILL gets bit.

• @tragictwist said: I didn't think Clem was hiding, but I did think it was odd that it was clickable... So I checked it out and was not surprised when a walker appeared.
    I was, however, extremely upset at how well Lee fights off the walker and STILL gets bit.

He gets bitten immdiately, right when the walker jumps him. I heard that squishy noise when walkers die, and saw a bit of blood fly when Lee got tackled. I knew right then that Lee had been bitten.

• Does he get bitten? I thought it was a scratch. Either way...

But maybe there could have been a more realistic scenario for Lee to get infected (after everything hes survived to get done in by a random dumbster zombie) but it really doesnt take away from the story for me. This is The Walking Dead, where characters die meaningless, insignificant deaths all the time. It just shows that the zombie threat is always present, waiting for you to let your guard down before pouncing.

Add Comment