User Avatar Image

If everyone is already infected......

posted by crash665 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

It has been established in this universe - Kirkman's universe - that everyone has the virus. That's why Larry's head was popped with a salt lick; if they didn't destroy his brain, he would have turned.

So, my question is this: Why would just a bite or scratch from a zombie cause someone to die? If Lee already has the virus in him, why does getting bit matter? Does a bite from a walker cause the virus to kick into over-drive?

Maybe I'm just looking for an out for Lee, but it seems to me that just a scratch or little bite wouldn't cause death. (Yeah, I know. I've seen all of the movies, too. One bite means death, but I'm gonna miss Lee. He's awesome.)

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @crash665 said: So, my question is this: Why would just a bite or scratch from a zombie cause someone to die? If Lee already has the virus in him, why does getting bit matter? Does a bite from a walker cause the virus to kick into over-drive?

    The bite causes a fatal infection that cannot be cured basically. In the comics, it is possible to survive a bite by amputation if the infection hasn't spread yet, but it's only worked once and that was IMMEDIATELY after the bite. Odds are that by now the bite has spread so Lee's screwed.

  • Alot of theories boast that Yes, while every living person on the planet will eventually become a walker due to any sort of non-brain injury related death, because the virus that reanimates the corpse is dormant in everyone.

    But the bite itself does not carry this airborne zombie disease. The walker bite is simply a means of infecting a living person with a host of high fatality diseases. The walker's mouth being a vector for particularly nasty variants of horrible diseases and a plethora of them. Pretty much everything imaginable. That's how I understood it at least.

  • So, by that logic, (just speculating here, I know the rules of the Universe) if the walker bite carries the fatal diseases would it be impossible that there would be an antibiotic cure for the bite?

  • Personally, I think it's plausible.

    I think it's just a matter of there being so much foulness in the mouths of these walking dead that it hard to administer this kind of cure for several reasons.

    First, you'd need a doctor who knows something about the amount of infections and lethal diseases that the zombie's carry as vectors. And if they have mutated in the zombie host to become more virulent and more deadly (which is likely the case). And without someone with the proper know-how and a lab or anything set up. That's tough to find.

    Second, you'd need the actual medicine, anti-biotics, and treatment. And in the post-zed world those thing are a precious commoditiy. Either already looted or just damn hard to find.

    Third, you'd have to find that super-genius doctor. And get him the materials. Then he'd have to figure out what in the hell you have and how to treat it. If that's even possible. In the end it's just too much of a task. The infection too quick and too deadly. A disease or batch of diseases no one was prepared for. Not to mention the thing that reanimating the dead.

    It's really just a complete clusterfuck of doom. SO while I think it's plausible given that the star were aligned and the bitten person was tended to immediately by someone with a vast knowledge about virulent diseases. Our protagonists definitely won't be in such luck. And most of the people capable of stopping these diseases are most likely dead.

  • @LokiHavok said: Personally, I think it's plausible.

    I think it's just a matter of there being so much foulness in the mouths of these walking dead that it hard to administer this kind of cure for several reasons.

    First, you'd need a doctor who knows something about the amount of infections and lethal diseases that the zombie's carry as vectors. And if they have mutated in the zombie host to become more virulent and more deadly (which is likely the case). And without someone with the proper know-how and a lab or anything set up. That's tough to find.

    Second, you'd need the actual medicine, anti-biotics, and treatment. And in the post-zed world those thing are a precious commoditiy. Either already looted or just damn hard to find.

    Third, you'd have to find that super-genius doctor. And get him the materials. Then he'd have to figure out what in the hell you have and how to treat it. If that's even possible. In the end it's just too much of a task. The infection too quick and too deadly. A disease or batch of diseases no one was prepared for. Not to mention the thing that reanimating the dead.

    It's really just a complete clusterfuck of doom. SO while I think it's plausible given that the star were aligned and the bitten person was tended to immediately by someone with a vast knowledge about virulent diseases. Our protagonists definitely won't be in such luck. And most of the people capable of stopping these diseases are most likely dead.

    Yeah, that's kinda where I was going with that one :D If the exact right conditions were met and it were possible to find both a doctor and a researcher and the meds or materials to make and administer them.....not trying to save Lee, just general speculation

  • @LadyJ said: ..not trying to save Lee, just general speculation


    I gotcha. I was just trying to prevent any Lee "bite denialists" from extrapolating the possibility into something to hope for haha.

    Yep I personally think if all the right conditions were met and it was handled by those capable people with the right equipment a zombie bite would perhaps not be a total death sentence.

  • The answer is there is logic doesn't apply. So many things don't make a lick of sense it not worth thinking about.

    Like, I get pissed think about the inconsistency of their strength. Sometimes they're strong enough to rip through live flesh, which is damn near impossible for even the strongest people, yet can barley walk and have no muscles. It's like Kirkman doesn't know basic anatomy.

  • @Red Panda said: The answer is there is logic doesn't apply. So many things don't make a lick of sense it not worth thinking about.

    Like, I get pissed think about the inconsistency of their strength. Sometimes they're strong enough to rip through live flesh, which is damn near impossible for even the strongest people, yet can barley walk and have no muscles. It's like Kirkman doesn't know basic anatomy.

    Yep, a lot of contradictions.

  • Kirkman didn't invent that discrepancy.
    Romero can be thanked for that.
    Kirkman's "take" on the shambling dead is really nothing new.
    It's heavily rooted in Romeroist tradition.

    Anyways...
    I think Max Brooks addresses the issue in his Zombie Survival Guide.
    Of why they're so incredibly strong.

  • @LokiHavok said: Kirkman didn't invent that discrepancy.
    Romero can be thanked for that.
    Kirkman's "take" on the shambling dead is really nothing new.
    It's heavily rooted in Romeroist tradition.

    Anyways...
    I think Max Brooks addresses the issue in his Zombie Survival Guide.
    Of why they're so incredibly strong.

    by chance do you know what the explanation for the strength is?

Add Comment