Menu
User Avatar Image

TWD is a Litmus Test

posted by Donathin on - last edited - Viewed by 415 users

First time poster, but I've read a lot of these forums. Especially after Episode Four created various discussion here, I've come to realize something about The Walking Dead: it truly is a litmus test for whether or not you should be allowed to have children. Some of the responses directed towards Clementine are surprisingly creepy and further from the moral center that I just sort of assumed was common for most folks in regards to children.

I suppose, however, that it's great that the game can (to a certain extent) create a believable story for that point of view as well. Lee really can make some very bad "parenting" decisions in regards to Clem.

16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Donathin said: Some of the responses directed towards Clementine are surprisingly creepy and further from the moral center that I just sort of assumed was common for most folks in regards to children.

Like what?

• Expressing anger enough over Clementine wanting to look for her parents and not following all of their Lee's orders that they wished they could just not go after her and let her die.

Expressing anger over the big twist of the end of Episode Four that they wish they could just leave Clem to die.

Making bad parenting decisions involving Clem.

Those sorts of things, generally.

• It's a game, nothing anyone does in a game means he'll do it in real life.

Being a good parent to Clem, doesn't instantly mean you'll be a good parent to your kid (and vise versa).

• @OZPruduction said: It's a game, nothing anyone does in a game means he'll do it in real life.

Being a good parent to Clem, doesn't instantly mean you'll be a good parent to your kid (and vise versa).

Yeah, true enough, I suppose. I was just surprised to see those kinds of emotional reactions sparked by the game. It's just very different to what I experience, and I am neither a parent or someone hoping to be one any time soon.

• I agree with OP's statement to some degree, I do however feel it did not factor in age or Parents vs non-parents. I think most of the more hateful Anti-Clementine post are by younger kids. There was more I had to say on this subject but I seem to have forgotten what it was.

• I have to admit, some of the reactions I've seen are.... perplexing.

• @YE OLDE PIRATE said: I agree with OP's statement to some degree, I do however feel it did not factor in age or Parents vs non-parents. I think most of the more hateful Anti-Clementine post are by younger kids. There was more I had to say on this subject but I seem to have forgotten what it was.

Yeah, that's true. A lot of the best things about The Walking Dead would be lost on kids.

• There isn't a lot to say about 'child raising', but it could tell us an awful lot about an individual based on who they save, who they side with and how they treat people, including Clem.

If we had a psychologist on this, it would be interesting to see what they had to say.

• Speaking of those unwanted kids, when's that Activision game coming out?

Add Comment