142 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • he was asked about it before the book came out. He didn't give an answer. I'm sure he wanted to capitalize off the game because it got popular. So he didn't say it wasn't the same Lily.

• a book takes time to write and the sypnosis is already done first, which was most likely done before the first episode of the VG was even out yet.

Plus, i'll trust what Kirkman wrote himself more than what's in the VG. it's not Kirkman's problem to adjust to what telltale is doing with the game, after all, he only helped with the story of the game, he didn't write it all himself.

• @SickBoy2212 said: a book takes time to write and the sypnosis is already done first, which was most likely done before the first episode of the VG was even out yet.

Plus, i'll trust what Kirkman wrote himself more than what's in the VG. it's not Kirkman's problem to adjust to what telltale is doing with the game, after all, he only helped with the story of the game, he didn't write it all himself.

Telltale didn't write the story without getting approval from Kirkman. He changed it after the game was underway. EP1 telltale was still promoting Lily as Lily from the comic. So he didn't even tell them before the game was out.

• I hate to say it, but this change keeps me from buying the book.

I was hoping there'd be enough to tie the game to the comic... now... meh....

• @DreadMagus said: I hate to say it, but this change keeps me from buying the book.

I know some people that preordered it because of the game

• @trd84 said: Telltale didn't write the story without getting approval from Kirkman. He changed it after the game was underway. EP1 telltale was still promoting Lily as Lily from the comic. So he didn't even tell them before the game was out.

maybe so, he might've changed his mind, i just don't like people using the words ''screwing up'' when referring to what Kirkman does with HIS universe.

• @DreadMagus said: I hate to say it, but this change keeps me from buying the book.

I read it and it was enjoyable. Seems to tie the book to the comic. At least it explains some of the things. Actually, it could go both ways. There are some things in the book that affect the characters in the game as well. Lily is obviously different but overall I think it does a good job of maintaining the universe. That's actually pretty hard to do.

• Hard to do?

Not really. It just requires communication and coordination.

• Well I feel the same like Dreadmagus about the comic. Wanted to order it but now after knowing it... mehh.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I don't understand how this could have happened. Books aren't written and published in weeks. The plans for this publication and the plans for Telltale's game must have coincided. Did Kirkman keep the idea for himself during those early meetings with Telltale? Did Telltale know about Kirkman's plans and still went ahead with the idea? If they both agreed and essentially knew there'd be two contradicting Lilly background stories around by the end of the year, WHY DO IT? What is the philosophy, how do they regard issues of canon?

Fans want canon in a franchise across all media, and Telltale has always been on the forefront of making games which could be considered canon (and sometimes the original creator of the franchise even alluded to the idea that he in fact DOES consider it canon). Knowing about Kirkman's plans and still going ahead with 'their' Lilly would be, in my opinion, an un-telltale thing to do.

Add Comment