Menu
User Avatar Image

-Saving Leisure Suit Larry-

posted by Amaterasu on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

You all know Leisure Suit Larry. We can even call him one of the "rivals" for Sam & Max at that time... XD
Anyway, Al Lowe, the creator of Larry, cannot use any of the game or characters rights, since it all belongs to Sierra (and now Vivendi-Games). They released a new game for Larry, which was a poor failure. It was NOTHING like the original Larry.

I'm asking how can I save Larry? What can I do?!
TellTale games saved Sam & Max! was it the petition? money? LucasArts's good heart?
At the moment the rights will come back to Al, or some other company that would like to make a new REAL Larry game (there's still the script for the 8th game, "Lust in Space" I guess), i'm sure Al Lowe will love to do it, and i'm sure a lot of the original team will help.

How did TellTale save Sam & Max, and how can I save Larry?

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Telltale saved Sam & Max because the rights expired from LucasArts and went back to Steve Purcell.

• I'm afraid it was the fact that the license automatically reverted to Steve Purcell, though I could be dead wrong about that. Anyway, it's all about the money. Only big money can convince Sierra and LucasArts to make proper adventure games again and/or to allow licensed versions. There's a good chance they'll turn around if the adventure genre regains the mainstream popularity it once had, but until that time I don't see it happening.

• This would be a different situation. Since Sierra is apparently still interested in making Larry games, the thing to do would be to petition them or something to hire Al Lowe as a consultant to make sure the games aren't crap.

• According to al lowe vivendi has no future prospect for larry :( sorry folks. The only reason companies like this keep the rights is for later box sets and junk. Even their new larry was known not to be "larry" its his cousin or something.. I couldnt play the game to long to figure it out.. I got a headache from how horrid it was.
    Luigi.. sierra is not interested in larry..just fyi

On a bright side al said he would love to revive freddy P! and would always be open to doing another larry provided terms were right.. he just doesnt see it happening!

Email him and ask.. hes one of the few sierra crew to be very open. Has his own site too

PS he loves trains :P chooo chooooo

• Al's answer to my mail about the rights:

I don't own the rights to any of the games or characters I created for Sierra; they do. Or rather, Vivendi Games does since they own all the assets of what once was Sierra. And there's no chance they'll let me be involved with any project for them.

I'd love it, but it's not going to happen. But all is not lost. Did you know I have a free daily joke email called CyberJoke 3000™? If you like, I can add you to my list. Maybe I can make you smile once a day.

he does make me smile everyday. i'm signed on cyberjoke3000 for like 4 years...
    but these are just fake and temporary smiles. I can't believe someone who created Larry needs to sink down in a daily joke program!
    he can make a LOT more people to smile by making Larry 8!

Is money the only answer?

• My mistake, I thought Sierra was still trying to keep the series on life support without Lowe.

Nothing's stopping Al from moving on and making new games with new characters. No reason to keep living in the past. Dave Grossman did it. Tim Schaefer did it. Ron Gilbert is... doing something, I think.

"Free daily email joke" is pretty sad. :(

• [quote=LuigiHann;44583]
    "Free daily email joke" is pretty sad. :([/quote]

Well, he is retired, just like Roberta Williams and Ken Williams. But he got a boiling brain, full of funny stuff, so it's a shame if he is not involved in making more games.

Anyway, vivendi games have no clue what they are going to use the Sierra brand for. They are a bunch of idiots who doesn't deserve to own the name Sierra. At least I still have the memories of a sweet past...

• @LuigiHann said: My mistake, I thought Sierra was still trying to keep the series on life support without Lowe.

Nothing's stopping Al from moving on and making new games with new characters. No reason to keep living in the past. Dave Grossman did it. Tim Schaefer did it. Ron Gilbert is... doing something, I think.

"Free daily email joke" is pretty sad. :(

It seems to me that with all the re-releaeses, Vivendi is just about interested enough to keep gouging us for cash, but not interested enough to offer new content, I read a report a few weeks ago that they moving past their old IPs and trying to set up an entire new line, so no new games in any franchises, no Tribes, now SWAT, which is sad 'cause those series were pretty much the only reason I've paid any attention to them since Space Quest 7 got cancelled.

Also Ron Gilbert is working on Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 1, which just gives me a whole new level of hope for that game.

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

Aren't Sierra the ones publishing Brutal Legend?

• User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni

Vivendi/Universal is publishing it under the Sierra label, which is just a brand they own.

Add Comment