User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 5.2K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Is it April fools day already???

Seriously, what does this MEAN? George Lucas to retire?

• Actually yes, more or less. From Star Wars, at least.

• He's staying on as a "Creative Consultant" for new Star Wars films.

• What does this mean in regards to future availability of the new cuts of Star Wars? I hope they're not forgotten about...

• Addition to this. Disney also announced Star Wars Episode VII being targeted for a 2015 release date. Yes, the same year that's giving us The Avengers 2 and Justice League.

And Vaina, I had to check my calendar several times to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

• So if Disney has Lucasarts does this mean a bigger chance of S&M Hit The Road Special Edition,Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition,Escape from Monkey Island Special Edition & Tales of Monkey Island 2 or does it mean we will never see them?

• @ryannumber1gamer said: So if Disney has Lucasarts does this mean a bigger chance of S&M Hit The Road Special Edition,Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition,Escape from Monkey Island Special Edition & Tales of Monkey Island 2 or does it mean we will never see them?

Well, the deal includes Lucasarts so... nope. No reason to suspect that Lucasarts will change their strategy of "keep a tight death grip on their classic games, adventure or Star Wars".

• @Gibbeynator said: Well, the deal includes Lucasarts so... nope. No reason to suspect that Lucasarts will change their strategy of "keep a tight death grip on their classic games, adventure or Star Wars".

I wouldn't be so sure. They bought Lucasfilm and then immediately announced they were going to make a new official Star Wars film. It doesn't sound like they bought the company to NOT use the properties it owns.

• Bloody hellfire.

@Rather Dashing said: He's staying on as a "Creative Consultant" for new Star Wars films.

Are they the same new Star Wars films he's been denying he ever planned for the last ten years?

@Rather Dashing said: So if Disney has Lucasarts does this mean a bigger chance of S&M Hit The Road Special Edition,Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition,Escape from Monkey Island Special Edition & Tales of Monkey Island 2

Well, changes at the top of Lucasarts usually herald the cancellation of all adventure game projects, so by my calculations, we're now into less-than-no-chance of TOMI2 and re-releases of the back catalogue.

(Hmm... still, now they've got a chance to do a follow-up to that TV special where the Muppets visit Disneyland.... "Indiana Jones and the Magic Kingdom")

• Some of my favorite reactions so far on NeoGAF

[quote]Man, Disney is a FORCE to be reckoned with[/quote]

[quote]Star Wars going into the vault[/quote]

[quote]Kingdom Hearts 3 will feature Ewoks now[/quote]

[quote]Star Wars X Marvel gonna happen[/quote]

[quote]Who's gonna play Captain Kirk[/quote]

[quote]Mickey Mouse conquering all[/quote]

Add Comment