User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 4.9K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • have you seen Ron Gilberts tweet

"Dear Disney: I would like to buy the IP for a game I created called Monkey Island from you. -- Ron P.S. I have no money."

• I'm pretty sure Lucasfilm always owned Indy, Paramount just distributed it. The deal may just stay the same, just like how Paramount distributes the Marvel movies.

• Just saw this in the news. Wow. There goes Lucasfilms...

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Wolfstar27 said: have you seen Ron Gilberts tweet

"Dear Disney: I would like to buy the IP for a game I created called Monkey Island from you. -- Ron P.S. I have no money."

That man needs a Kickstarter. "Help Ron Gilbert buy back Monkey Island!" No reward tiers or anything.
    I see it getting somewhere in the region of $4 million.

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@Darth Marsden said: That man needs a Kickstarter. "Help Ron Gilbert buy back Monkey Island!" No reward tiers or anything.
    I see it getting somewhere in the region of $4 million.

I recall him saying that he would have needed $10 million just to get the negotiations going with LucasArts.

• Will TTG contact Disney to ask about a TMI 2?

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Dan Connors once said Telltale would be very interested in being acquired by Disney if they found the right situation. Well, here it is. Complete the link. :D

• New Conspiracy Theory:

Disney's purchase of LucasFilm was motivated entirely by jealousy. Brenda Chapman leaves Pixar after being kicked off the director's chair for Brave and goes to LucasFilm. Disney re-absorbs Brenda Chapman by buying LucasFilm in the corporate equivalent of drunk-dialing your ex and saying it was just to check on something else.

• Is Leia a Disney Princess now?

• >In 2012, as part of an interview with The New York Times, discussing negative fan reactions to the prequel trilogy and to alterations made to the original trilogy, Lucas said, regarding further Star Wars films: "Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

>In an interview published in Total Film in May 2008, Lucas also ruled out anybody else ever making the sequel trilogy (or other future Star Wars features). Asked if he was happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after he was gone, Lucas replied: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

FrdZf.jpg

What a friggin liar.

Add Comment