User Avatar Image

The infection

posted by Pellet on - last edited - Viewed by 287 users

Something thats kinda bugged me since i started getting into the whole zombie genre is Walker blood. If their bite infects you wouldn't getting drenched in their blood be just as bad. Even if it doesn't absorb through your skin, People are usually yelling when they swing a weapon so lets say some of that walker juice gets in your mouth or eyes, are you as good as bit?
Fucked your mind and how you would deal with them didn't I!

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Pellet said: Something thats kinda bugged me since i started getting into the whole zombie genre is Walker blood. If their bite infects you wouldn't getting drenched in their blood be just as bad. Even if it doesn't absorb through your skin, People are usually yelling when they swing a weapon so lets say some of that walker juice gets in your mouth or eyes, are you as good as bit?

that would depend on the specific rules the piece of zombie fiction you are seeing has set up, in TWD it doesn't seem to matter if you hack up some zombies then use the same weapon to hack off a limb of a person, so its not the blood.

but in 28 days later (even though it's not considered a true zombie film) it only takes a drop of blood in the eye to make you turn

• @thestalkinghead said: that would depend on the specific rules the piece of zombie fiction you are seeing has set up, in TWD it doesn't seem to matter if you hack up some zombies then use the same weapon to hack off a limb of a person, so its not the blood.

but in 28 days later (even though it's not considered a true zombie film) it only takes a drop of blood in the eye to make you turn

Ok that clears that up, but now im wondering if thats on purpose or just not thought about.

Good to know about 28 days later, i wasnt sure if they were even dead or not

• @Pellet said: Ok that clears that up, but now im wondering if thats on purpose or just not thought about.

Good to know about 28 days later, i wasnt sure if they were even dead or not

i don't actually think the 28 days later people are dead it's a "rage virus" but the similarities between zombies and the 28 days later "rage infected" are enough to put them in the same area as zombies

• @Pellet said: Something thats kinda bugged me since i started getting into the whole zombie genre is Walker blood. If their bite infects you wouldn't getting drenched in their blood be just as bad. Even if it doesn't absorb through your skin, People are usually yelling when they swing a weapon so lets say some of that walker juice gets in your mouth or eyes, are you as good as bit?

Man, I've been wondering this also, I cringe every time I watch the show and see all of that zombie juice all over them.

• @TrueXus said: Man, I've been wondering this also, I cringe every time I watch the show and see all of that zombie juice all over them.

Yeah, same. That being said, I still understand why they don't delve into explaining this. The specific science behind the infection really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

• I've heard it's undead saliva that does it, but that still doesn't make up for the fact you can get infected from scratches too.

• In the first season of the walking dead when they chopped up the one zombie and wiped it on rick and glenn, he mentions not to get it in you eyes or open wounds, but I do agree with your point on how it would get in there mouth when there getting gruesome

• in TWD, everyone is already infected, this much we know for sure.

Everything else is a grey area. Supposedly a bite from a zombie causes a standard bacterial type of infection and just speeds process along because it is left untreated. What this doesn't explain is why these infections are resistant to antibiotics (perhaps the wrong antibiotics were used?)

Honestly I don't think even Kirkman knows one way or another because it has never been fully explained as to why, if you are bitten, you are automatically a goner. Based on Kirkman's own "rules" if treated with the right antibiotic, the patient should recover with no issues but that doesn't happen.

Perhaps the bite from dead, infected, saliva just "activates" the infection. Perhaps the living are carriers but it doesn't go "active" until the right catalyst is introduced into the system (dead blood/saliva).

From what we've seen, blood may not have anything to do with it. It may be the Saliva that it is rooted in. How else to explain the fact that eventually a TWD Zombie is going to dry up, but will still walk.

• Lost who i was supposed to quote, but i know getting their blood in your system wouldn't turn you, but wouldn't it speed up your death? like a bite/scratch.
    I think we got this as clear as we can make it but i'm still curious lol.

• In Kirkman's world, you come back no matter how you die. A zombie bite/scratch is just 100% lethal.

Add Comment