User Avatar Image

One thing that could really benefit Season 2 and Telltale as a whole...

posted by zgamer on - last edited - Viewed by 548 users

I know this is a costly and time consuming process, but I think if this investment was made, it would pay off for the studio and their future products. As much as I love their writing and style of adventure gameplay, there's one thing I feel needs a serious upgrade:

Telltale's game engine.

They are able to overcome issues of technical design through great art and character design, but doing projects as ambitious as TWD shows they need to up their tech. The slowdowns, stiff character movements and other perceptible tech limitations pull back what could be a totally immersive game. It's popped up in previous games, but TWD is kind of a breaking point for me. It's a fantastic game overall, but this is my main complaint.

Honestly, how great would it be to debut the next season of TWD with a brand new game engine capable of pushing their tech capabilities further? They could show even greater potential for emotional payoff, excellent set pieces and creative adventure gaming. With the revenue TWD is making them, they could have a chance to do this. It's not going to stop me from playing the games if they don't, but it would be a nice change.

19 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I definitely agree. The Walking Dead is my favorite game this year, but the one thing holding it back is the dated engine. The graphical style is pretty awesome, but I want to see it benefit from a more powerful engine.

• The Telltale tool has grown a lot since Bone and Sam and Max S1. I think they've pushed it as far as it can go and really impressed us.

But that said, I think a complete rehaul of the engine between Fables and whatever's next would be a good move.

• If Telltale could make even slightly better looking characters, great! If not, i guess some chum in season 2 will be shaped like a dong. I wont care though, it's all about story.

• I couldn't care less about the engine. The game looks pretty good already so there's no need to change it. I'd rather have my choices truly impact and shape the story. I'd rather have more challenging puzzles. I'd rather have more freedom and less railroading in the story, especially when people are dieing.

I do realize you can't save everybody and this is a TWD game, where people are supposed to die. However, I'd love to have more choice, something like Mass Effect's paragon/renegade interrupts that slightly change the outcome of certain situations.

This game is more like a movie or a novel and feels less like a game. It's way too railroaded, your choices don't matter a lot, you don't get to make the important decisions in the story anyways and even the main character's final hours are preset. This is kind of a disappointment, at least to me. I expected this to be much more tailored to my gameplay, my decisions, my story. After all this is a video game, not a novel, comic or a movie. It's supposed to be more interactive.

This game's issues are not the engine.

• @shedim said: I do realize you can't save everybody and this is a TWD game, where people are supposed to die. However, I'd love to have more choice, something like Mass Effect's paragon/renegade interrupts that slightly change the outcome of certain situations.

Was about to attack the paragon/renegade thing, then saw you ment the interuptions. That could be interesting if done right, but Mass Effect didn't even do it right(I remember interrupting caused an entire planet to fall to the reapers, which was not the outcome I wanted, doing nothing spared them stupidly enough).

Could certainly work if done right though.

• @shedim said: I couldn't care less about the engine. The game looks pretty good already so there's no need to change it. I'd rather have my choices truly impact and shape the story. I'd rather have more challenging puzzles. I'd rather have more freedom and less railroading in the story, especially when people are dieing.

I do realize you can't save everybody and this is a TWD game, where people are supposed to die. However, I'd love to have more choice, something like Mass Effect's paragon/renegade interrupts that slightly change the outcome of certain situations.

This game is more like a movie or a novel and feels less like a game. It's way too railroaded, your choices don't matter a lot, you don't get to make the important decisions in the story anyways and even the main character's final hours are preset. This is kind of a disappointment, at least to me. I expected this to be much more tailored to my gameplay, my decisions, my story. After all this is a video game, not a novel, comic or a movie. It's supposed to be more interactive.

This game's issues are not the engine.

Actually, those choice issues are totally part of the engine. The engine has to process all the data a player inputs into each episode and the most significant slowdown issues come from the engine computing a choice (generating Carley into an episode 2 cutaway moment). Also, a better engine may be able to handle more choices that can significantly carry through a whole season. Think about if we could make a Carley/Doug choice that actually lasts through all five episodes :)

• or just take a little more time to polish the game ?

it's bit lazy of ttg to let some of these things slide, oh look lee walks like he got a stick up his ass

@ttg we should fix it, nah it'll take to long to fix leave it in, yes sir no one will notice anyway...

• Honestly,I don't think TWD's graphics are bad.I agree,they could definitely improve the textures on some parts and polish the game a little,but this isn't a super high budget product.The graphics might not be best possible,but I think facial movement and expressions look just more alive then in a lot of today's games. :)

• Wait, do you mean Telltale's game engine or TWD game engine? I would agree that TT's game engine would go great with future games.

Word on the street is that King's quest is using TWD game's engine. Is this true?

Add Comment