User Avatar Image

Is this racist?

posted by Doctanian on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

Is it racist to wish that the season 2 protagonist will be another minority?

I mean, with Lee, the game broke so many unfortunate traditions in gaming. And with the Walking Dead in general. After that travesty that was T-Dog's character, I was glad to have Lee. But now that he's gone, I fear TellTale will go the typical cut and paste brown-haired white male route.

I know it shouldn't matter, but on a certain level, it does. Especially when it comes to video games and the representation of diversity. I mean, majority of video game protagonists look like this:

video-game-protagonists-kids-love-brown-

We have enough Nathan Drakes. Your thoughts?

118 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You don't sound racist to me, you do sound narrowminded though.

  • I don't care about the ethnicity of the protagonist. Might be black, white, asian - who cares? I don't. For me the most important part would be that the new protagonist will again have such an excellent voiceactor.

  • I'd like to see maybe a blonde hair blue, and blue eyes protagonist kind of like ben

  • @8Bit_System said: You don't sound racist to me, you do sound narrowminded though.

    I disagree on the narrowminded bit, friend. It's just that, as a minority, I've played as Nathan Drakes and Chris Redfields for YEARS with no problem. But the rare time I have a protagonist I can relate to on a ethnic basis, he dies at the end. Fucked up.

  • @Doctanian said: But the rare time I have a protagonist I can relate to on a ethnic basis, he dies at the end. Fucked up.

    Errr... so in order to relate to a character he has to be the same race of you? I am white and could totally relate to Lee. Jees your fucked up tbh.

  • @dubesor said: Errr... so in order to relate to a character he has to be the same race of you? I am white and could totally relate to Lee. Jees your fucked up tbh.


    Dude, you're missing the point.

  • No, I think that's a reasonable attitude. There's a real surfeit of white, male 20-30 something male protagonist in games, because that's the demographic most developers aim for.

    The principle behind concepts like 'affirmative action' is to be a correcting course against those tendencies. To help give an equal voice to people in situations where the decks are otherwise unfairly stacked against them. Race is an issue, and pretending that it doesn't exist or that one is 'colour blind' only helps to make one more blind to when it harms those with smaller or more uneven representation.

    Especially when you yourself are privy to the privileges of being white, or being male, or being within a certain age range.

  • so you are telling me, by your logic, if Telltale decided 1 year ago to make Lee a white guy the game would have sold better and the players would have liked the more game more due to "ethnic-based relation"? Because I highly doubt the main targetmarket of TWD game are african-americans... to me asking for a specific ethnicity just seems silly.

  • @Doctanian said: I disagree on the narrowminded bit, friend. It's just that, as a minority, I've played as Nathan Drakes and Chris Redfields for YEARS with no problem. But the rare time I have a protagonist I can relate to on a ethnic basis, he dies at the end. Fucked up.

    Well, that's how it goes. I'm from Germany... show me the last time a German dude was allowed to be the hero - apart from Xcom: Enemy Unknown.

    I never had the ethnic problem, though, but not because I'm white anyways and the characters could fit. I had a black character on Oblivion and Mass Effect and loved them!

    I'd say over 90% of the community could relate to Lee and believe me, he died for all of us. ;)

  • @dubesor said: so you are telling me, by your logic, if Telltale decided 1 year ago to make Lee a white guy the game would have sold better and the players would have liked the more game more due to "ethnic-based relation"? Because I highly doubt the main targetmarket of TWD game are african-americans... to me asking for a specific ethnicity just seems silly.

    I'm saying that most businesses tend to market things around what they believe is the largest demographic for their product.

    That's why so many 'mainstream' films have white male leads.

    That's why so many big-budget adaptations change the ethnicity of the lead characters.

    It reinforces the idea of whiteness as 'default' and anything else as being a deviation from the norm.

    And no, I don't believe their target audience are black Americans, and that's what makes their choice of lead virtuous.

This discussion has been closed.