User Avatar Image

The Ending is Absurd, and Very Poorly Done

posted by JackSchirmer on - last edited - Viewed by 368 users

The ending to Episode 5 was a hopeless bungle.

Lee's great "sacrifice", chaining himself to the radiator, is a preposterous mistake completely at odd with The Walking Dead universe. Worse, it's no sacrifice at all. First, it's unimaginable that Clem, if she even survives the city (and recall that we forgot to, you know, actually tell her how to find Omid and Christa--oops!), won't be forever haunted by the image of zombie Lee chained to a radiator in a windowless room for all eternity. The big deal he makes, that she shouldn't shoot him, is horribly, horribly misguided. Putting down someone before they turn is extremely cathartic. It was a point of honor, pride, and closure for Carl to put down Lori in the tv series. They got it exactly right there. In the game it completely spoils the whole ending, since Clem doesn't get that closure.

Second, are you kidding me? We're left with no cutscene, no reunion with Omid and Christa where we see Clem finally escape? It's clear that TTG badly rushed the entire episode, from the incredibly brief playing time to the pointless recycling of locations, but this was the worst sort of failure--betraying a fundamental point of The Walking Dead universe. It played exactly as though the developer simply hit the wall of a deadline and had to quit without finishing.

Very, very disappointing.

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Let it out, you'll feel better.

• @DreadMagus said: Let it out, you'll feel better.

LOL.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I think they did an amazing job. By far the best game I have played this year, possibly one of the best in the past few years.

• OP is mad that Clementine doesn't shoot Lee, and that there is no cutscene afterwards with Clem showing what happens.

............wut lol

• @JackSchirmer said: Putting down someone before they turn is extremely cathartic.

You know, I'm not sure "catharsis" is the best reason for shooting someone in the head.

• @Dildor said: OP is mad that Clementine doesn't shoot Lee, and that there is no cutscene afterwards with Clem showing what happens.

............wut lol

He probably didn't wait for the credits to end...

• [quote] It was a point of honor, pride, and closure for Carl to put down Lori in the tv series. [/quote] Honor and Pride? Closure? Lori's death was completely pointless - there's no closure for something like that, just acceptance. Carl accepted Lori's death just as well as Clementine, although I'd actually argue that Clem accepted it far better because she had absolutely no-one to talk to or be with about it and still carried on.

I don't think Carl felt any type of honor, certainly not pride, in having to kill his own mother. He did it because he felt he had to because it was his mother, that it was his place to do so and he accepted it. Feeling acceptance of a circumstance is a lot different than feeling 'honor' or 'pride.'

[quote]no reunion with Omid and Christa where we see Clem finally escape?[/quote]
    Did you watch past the credits?

• Did you play the game? You had the option to have Clem put Lee down, and there was this whole clifhanger end scene with Clem. Its not Telltale's fault you picked decisions you did not want.

• I don't even think you're disappointed, you just sound sad and scared for Clem. It's kind of sweet you think that way, that Telltale made you feel that way.
    @Dildor said: OP is mad that Clementine doesn't shoot Lee, and that there is no cutscene afterwards with Clem showing what happens.

............wut lol
    What I was thinking, did he not see the option to let Clem shoot yourself / the ending where Clem sees (what is most likely) Omid and Christa in the distance?

• I like how the original poster doesn't realize that he made the choice to tell Clementine to leave him, when he could have made the choice to have her shoot him and put him out of his misery. Even if you did choose for her to not shoot him, it's not a terrible ending at all. The Lee's that don't want Clem to shoot him don't want her to have to experience taking a life. Especially not someone she clearly and obviously adored so much and right after having seen her parents as walkers.

Oh and by the way, my Lee told Clementine to make her way out of the city and back to the train where Christa and Omid are waiting. He even asked her if she remembered the way back and she said yes. Then, he asked her to shoot him.

The ending was fantastic in my opinion. And it was ALWAYS going to end with Clem in a field alone. That was the picture we were presented with for the locked Episode 5 way back when Episode 1 was first released.

Add Comment