User Avatar Image

Why do people like Ben?

posted by Doctanian on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

I'm not saying you shouldn't like Ben. I just don't get it.

Personally, I think it's because he's so much of a woobie, people feel sorry for him no matter what. Yes, he's young and a teenager, but if Clementine and Carl can be productive, there's really no excuse. He's one of those characters that doesn't do anything right, pouts that he can't do anything right, and thus receives sympathy galore. Even if you support him, he still fucks up and fucks you over, so saying that people are too hard on him is bullshit. The only harsh criticism he got was when he told Kenny he dealt with the bandits and Kenny's response was reasonable.Before, then, he was a member of the team at the motor inn.

My problem? Has nothing to do with Carley, bandits, letting zombies in Crawford's school or his numerous other fuckups.

One main thing.

[LIST=1]
[*]HE LEFT CLEMENTINE TO DIE. The same girl that would later defend him from being thrown off the boat.
[*]He doesn't watch her when you tell him to, instead he makes excuses. He should've brought her upstairs with him.
[*]He didn't even help you look for her when she's missing.
[*]When Lee gets bit, an option to bring him along is by making him feel guilty with Clementine. He had to be reminded that Clementine stood up for him.
[/LIST]

If anything, Clem should've reminded him of his sister he said he had in Episode 5.

Even Larry showed concern for Clementine. Larry even tries to save Lee if you give him the axe. Hell, the main fucking antagonist, Campman, showed more love for Clem than Ben. A fucking Hobo showed more love for Clem.

88 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Cause believe it or not he's still just a kid what did you want him to do

• @zeke10 said: Cause believe it or not he's still just a kid what did you want him to do

That's really not an excuse. Ben is tasked with typical teenager roles most of the time, the main one being WATCH CLEMENTINE. And he can't even do that.

• ben is the "me" of TWD universe or at least the most like me of all of them, i would be glad to be in Lee's group and i would feel so sorry and guilty if i had messed up and that had contributed to the death of a child

• @Doctanian said: That's really not an excuse. Ben is tasked with typical teenager roles most of the time, the main one being WATCH CLEMENTINE. And he can't even do that.

Well ben did have to help with omid at that 1 point and who knows he coulda saw clemmy as sister like

• Ben went with me because he says that I've been good to him and he wants to help me out again; I didn't have to guilt trip him. I don't hate him because he is honestly just a kid still and sometimes people cannot handle this type of reality; whose to say any of us wouldn't just freeze up like that without receiving proper gun training like Lee and Kenny did for three months. It's easy to envision that we would be heroes in a disaster, but we don't know until we are a part of that reality.

It's all good and well that Carl could step up his game, but again, the actions of another individual do not alter the perceptions of another. Ben had a different set of circumstances behind him in that no one really valued him from day 1, had no one close to him in the group, and never had the opportunity to train himself until death was staring him right in the face.

Ben never meant to harm anyone, not to say he didn't screw up badly, but his intentions were not bad and it made me feel bad for the kid to have so much blame on him till the point that he just wanted to die. Then in episode 5, we finally see him vent about his own concerns that so many others have poured on each other while Ben kept his to himself throughout the season. He was no hero, he was just a kid stuck in a horrible situation who couldn't step up because he was ill equipped for this reality. I was annoyed at him plenty of time, but when looking into the situations, I can understand why he was so weak and cowardly; he wasn't trained, was always seen as another mouth to feed, and had nothing to live for in the end.

• @zeke10 said: Well ben didn't have a badass dad like rick and ben admits he's scared out of the 2 ben wouldd be more realistic

Ben had badasses all around him, you think that would rub off. It rubbed off on Clementine and she's a nine year old girl.

• @thestalkinghead said: ben is the "me" of TWD universe or at least the most like me of all of them, i would be glad to be in Lee's group and i would feel so sorry and guilty if i had messed up and that had contributed to the death of a child

Dude, you'd probably be a badass in TWD.

Add Comment