User Avatar Image

In the even of zombie apocalypse, would the president nuke the country ?

posted by Typicaljacob on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

So back in the cold war, we all made shelter right? so in the event of a zombie apocalypse wouldnt the president ( or any other vip and government officials along with military) hole up in a shelter and try to quarantine out/in the walkers with nukes? something i wondered

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Typicaljacob said: haha i didnt literally mean nuke the location on top of them. just surrounding them. and i know its a different universe, but it didnt stop the umbrella corporation from nuking a major city that had huge walls surrounding it. granted, umbrella corporations was composed of alot of messed of folks but hey, they nuked it. and i assume it was done with executive decison.

resident evil is in a fantasy universe, and the decision was made by shady corporations that live in underground bases and always where sunglasses, you just wouldn't nuke your own country, not in a universe that is supposed to be realistic (ignoring the zombies) anyway there are plenty of other weapons that you could use before nukes and some that would be illegal to use in war but not against zombies like corrosive gasses, mines, automated sentry guns and all kinds of stuff that would kill zombies but are illegal to use against humans

@Typicaljacob said: I'm pretty sure that's wrong. The U.S. has thousands of Nukes, and Russia has more, China has around the same amount. I'm pretty sure we have enough to wipe out all humans.

the nukes wouldn't wipe every human out, well targeted ones will wipe out a lot and there would be fallout, but there aren't enough to just kill everybody on the planet (earth is big)

• @thestalkinghead said: the nukes wouldn't wipe every human out, well targeted ones will wipe out a lot and there would be fallout, but there aren't enough to just kill everybody on the planet (earth is big)

I realize the Earth is big, but it's almost completely unavoidable to not die from a nuke. Chernobyl for example, pretty much everyone was wiped out. We have thousands upon thousands of nukes, if you shoot 2 nukes in the same relative area, it's pretty much guaranteed you will die from it.

• @Toasty said: I realize the Earth is big, but it's almost completely unavoidable to not die from a nuke. Chernobyl for example, pretty much everyone was wiped out. We have thousands upon thousands of nukes, if you shoot 2 nukes in the same relative area, it's pretty much guaranteed you will die from it.

but think about the surface area that the nuke would kill everyone then compare that to the land surface area of earth, the best you could do would be make more zombies, and considering killing zombies was the point of the nukes that renders them pointless

• By letting off a lot of nukes what would probably happen is rather than destroy the zombies you would create a nuclear winter where all life would be wiped out...leaving the zombies stumbling about in the dark:)

• A Zombie Apocalypse like you know in The Walking Dead and most of the films, are just not realistic.

We can´t theorize about a situation that it´s not possible, not because the virus itself is 90% not plausible to happen but because of this:

- The slow-dead zombies which only die by brain damage are totally not plausible. Even if they are real the ARMY and the people can kill them easily. They are slow and stupid.

- If they are really dead (and they are) then they would not be able to walk in 2 weeks or so, because the rotting body getting worse every minute. In The Walking Dead it was months later after that apocalypse and the zombies are still the same.

- If we count the apocalypse with infected people (like 28 days later film) and not the 'real' zombies it´s the same thing but dying by famine (in the film this happens) but by the people & ARMY too. A tank can easy kill hundreds of zombies just driving over them (they are stupid, and are just crazy humans). Same with weapons, etc...

So. The really danger if the infection happens if that the infection is passed though the air and not by bit / blood. The real danger is a virus apocalypse, and not the attack of the zombies, which is the danger that everybody discuss on a Zombie Apocalypse, which is wrong for the reasons exposed above.

• @thestalkinghead said:
    the nukes wouldn't wipe every human out, well targeted ones will wipe out a lot and there would be fallout, but there aren't enough to just kill everybody on the planet (earth is big)

It's a bit Offtopic but:

149.430.000 km2 is the size of the surface of the earth without the seas. There are about 20k atomic weapons on earth. The Hiroshima bomb burned everything in an area of about 3,5km2 but this was only an atomic bomb.
    If you only calculate these facts it seems like all our bombs can't destroy the whole earth but today a lot of these atomic weapons are hydrogen bombs or even moderner ones. (primitive Hydrogen bombs are about 830times stronger than atomic bombs but the UDSSR has already tested a Hydrogen bomb which was 6000times stronger than Hiroshima in 1961 -> So it is sure that there exist even stronger ones in USA and Russia today). Also the extreme destructive power of these bombs isn't in this calculation. One Hydrogen bomb produce about 8 tons of radioactive material because of the explosion. Moreover in this calculation they also count lands like Greenland and Antarctica. The places in which people can really live isn't that big. So we have definitely enough bombs on the earth to destroy every single human and maybe even to kill every single mammalian. I know that you guys in America are one of the 3 countries of the world which don't use the metric system but I was to lazy to translate it and I think you can also imagine with that numbers how destructive the bombs which we already own are.

@CTCCoco

Of course you are right that this can't happen in that way. I think and hope that most people know that but sometimes it's just "relaxing" to talk about a different world which doesn't exist. It's the same like some people are fans of fictive worlds like Middle Earth of Lord of the Rings. So nobody should take such discussions very serious. ;)
    Yeah the generall danger of a disease which can drastic decimate the human race increase with the amount of people on earth every day. One day medicin will be slower than the disease but most probably it won't be a zombie-like thing yeah.

• @Sodawasser said: It's a bit Offtopic but:

149.430.000 km2 is the size of the surface of the earth without the seas. There are about 20k atomic weapons on earth. The Hiroshima bomb burned everything in an area of about 3,5km2 but this was only an atomic bomb.
    If you only calculate these facts it seems like all our bombs can't destroy the whole earth but today a lot of these atomic weapons are hydrogen bombs or even moderner ones. (primitive Hydrogen bombs are about 830times stronger than atomic bombs but the UDSSR has already tested a Hydrogen bomb which was 6000times stronger than Hiroshima in 1961 -> So it is sure that there exist even stronger ones in USA and Russia today). Also the extreme destructive power of these bombs isn't in this calculation. One Hydrogen bomb produce about 8 tons of radioactive material because of the explosion. Moreover in this calculation they also count lands like Greenland and Antarctica. The places in which people can really live isn't that big. So we have definitely enough bombs on the earth to destroy every single human and maybe even to kill every single mammalian. I know that you guys in America are one of the 3 countries of the world which don't use the metric system but I was to lazy to translate it and I think you can also imagine with that numbers how destructive the bombs which we already own are.

if you divide 149,430,000 km2 with 35 km2 you would need 4,269,428 Hiroshima sized nukes to get all of the land on earth

• @Typicaljacob said: haha i didnt literally mean nuke the location on top of them. just surrounding them. and i know its a different universe, but it didnt stop the umbrella corporation from nuking a major city that had huge walls surrounding it. granted, umbrella corporations was composed of alot of messed of folks but hey, they nuked it. and i assume it was done with executive decison.

You don't "surround" something with nukes. Again, I wouldn't set fire to all my neighbors houses just because I have roaches. Seriously, what the hell would that accomplish?

• @thestalkinghead said: there aren't enough nukes on the planet to wipe out every human, let alone every zombie, so it would just be pointless

Think about how easy it would be to get almost every human in the world in one spot. Now consider how stupid these zombies are. They'll crowd an area just because they heard a noise. It'll be real easy to get them all into one place, just get some helicopters. That's how the horde formed in the show.

There's no question that all the zombies near ground zero would be instantly vaporized and a lot of them will be blown away, possibly dismembering their heads and ending them, but what if they survive and gain some kind of superpower because of the radiation? What if they become radio active and their bites transform people into super zombies? What if someone get's accidentally bitten by one of these radio active zombie heads being idle in a forest?

It'll require some testing and thought, but I believe the president would nuke America.

• @thestalkinghead said: there aren't enough nukes on the planet to wipe out every human, let alone every zombie, so it would just be pointless

What world do you live in where there are no Minuteman-III multi-BUS delivery systems packing 750 Megatons of warhead per missile?

...and that's just US-side.

There are plenty of nukes to wipe out all life on earth...if the blasts don't get you, the radiation will, followed by the nuclear-winter fallout.

Between nukes, MOABs, viral, biological and chemical payloads...yeah, we could kill ourselves off with ease.

@thestalkinghead said: if you divide 149,430,000 km2 with 35 km2 you would need 4,269,428 Hiroshima sized nukes to get all of the land on earth

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were measured in KILO-tons. That's thousands of tons of TNT. Today's nuclear arsenal is measured in MEGA-tons per warhead. That's MILLIONS of tons of TNT equivalent.

We are literally talking about blast craters approaching five miles. That's just the vaporization threshold.

While we can not physically destroy the Earth, we can certainly cause our own extinction.

On a side note, nuclear detonations have to be one of the most beautiful things on the planet.

Add Comment