User Avatar Image

Thinkin about gettin a refurbished ps3

posted by doom saber on - last edited - Viewed by 971 users

I checked online and seen that there are 60 GB PS3 for 467 with a game. However, they are refurbished. I am wondering, does buying a used or non new ps3 affect things like online play or whatever? I mean, would I be able to go online if a used ps3 the same way as a new one or is it like one of those online MMORPG games like World of Warcraft where buying a used copy is useless unless one has the user name and password of the previous owner?

Sorry if my question is strange, but I realize that places like Gamestop not selling used PS3, which makes me wonder if the system cannot be resold "legally" despite me seeing a refurbished one sold on a popular and legal site. So any info would help.

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Are you in the USA or elsewhere? I am just asking because $467 for a refurb 60GB model does not sound that great to me, when you can find the 80GB model on amazon.com for $499 that also comes with a game. I doubt you would experience any issues buying a refurb, however, especially if it was refurbished by Sony. Also, remember that refurbs usually come with shorter warranties... which can be really bad if your system craps out in only a few months.

If you are living elsewhere, then I do not know how good of a deal the refurb is. If you are truly considering buying it, contact Sony and see if they can answer these questions better for you... seeing as they most likely know more about this than I do :)

• I am from the USA and I actually found one on amazon for 430 if I recall correctly. Unfournately, I don't have ebay since they are cheaper there. The 467 one listed in my previous comment, also came with a game.

The reason why I would rather get the 60 GB than the 80 GB model is because of the emotion chip is only in the 20 and 60 GB models; I didn't want to get the 20 gb model because of the missing flash card slots, as well having two usb ports instead of 4.

The emotion chip allows the system to play ps2 and ps1 game without any additional software.

Imo, I think the backwards capatability chip is more important than storage since one can easily replace the ps3 harddrive (which is acutally a pc seagate harddive) with a bigger one (the ps3 booklet has instructions to replace them.) With that said, I can easily get a 250 GB chip for 60 dollars and sell my old ps2 for that amount of price, if not more whereas it would be close to impossible to insert an emotion chip into a ps3. Sure, the 80 model has software emulation to play ps2 games, but I am not sure if it can also play ps1 games and the software only covers a limited amount of games.

• Im with doom here.. so far the 60gb with hardware ps1 and 2 support is better to me.. I cant believe all the stuff they took out of that 40gb model.. dont know why they just didnt do away with blue ray(oh the games! haha riight the fake blue ray hd games lol)

Im going to hold out and pray for sony to get money back and make a chrome version with the emotion chip in it again.. darn software emu.. backwards compat is like nothing now.. sigh.

• just out of curiosity: are those refurbished ps3s repaired by sony with genuine parts and have the same warranty as a new one or is someone else fixing and selling those things?

• Oh, I guess I assumed the 80 had the emotion chip. Yeah, that is quite a bit more important, so that you don't have to keep your ps2 connected.

Also, why not open an ebay and paypal account if you are secure with the idea of shopping there?

• As for the ps2's I sent mine to sony.. and sony sent it out to another place.. Its all the same replacement parts, in some cases upgrades can be made at this point too.
    As for the new range of ps3's im soo not biting. This is a ploy for them to struggle back to the top. Ill just wait till the next model/ price drop and praaaaaaaay for emotion to come back.

• if it costs $467 there's two ways it can go, It'll either be a pretty good system, or they will have just sold the most epxensive paper weight you've ever bought, I tend to stear clear of refurbished electronics no matter what, it all just seems a little dodgy, I'd say wait and see what the game stores have to offer, 'cause with refurbished you definately want some hands on time. But it's your money dude, spend it as you wish.

I bought a refurbished GameBoy Micro, the dude let me play with it for like an hour before I bought it, coolest purchase of 2007. I'd put Sam and Max on that list, but those were a gift.

• Hahaha .. urmm bob? I used to repair tvs and monitors, as well as motherboards, lots of time its just one silly little part. Most people throw 2000$ tvs on the curb and only a 20$ part is busted.. So sad. (course with the plasmas I know nothing.. but in general terms)
    Id just want to know who refurbed' it.. official or like a shop in LA.. etc..
    Some of my best hardware was bought less than half price or even given away (since it was broken) But yep be cautious. Me I just got a wii... sadly im not impressed with it and was hoping to be :(

But Im holding out on ps3 until the 120GB comes out in april.. then Ill snag the cheap 80GB version and use the update thats coming out next month that makes 95% of all ps1 and 2 games work muahah...cough....wheeezee.. ahem sorry.
    Ps3 will win the console wars in the end..I can sense it.. its odd really since wii rocked so hard in sales.. they just dont have games to back it up :(
    (in the end I will own them all though muahaha)

Just know refurb could just mean a darn cd tray was stuck or a capacitor blew.. not all refurbs are total wreck.. but... indeed, some are and Ive worked with alot of people who should be at Mcdonalds(tm) rather than soldering stuf.

• @Kaldire said: Hahaha .. urmm bob? I used to repair tvs and monitors, as well as motherboards, lots of time its just one silly little part. Most people throw 2000$ tvs on the curb and only a 20$ part is busted.. So sad. (course with the plasmas I know nothing.. but in general terms)
    Id just want to know who refurbed' it.. official or like a shop in LA.. etc..
    Some of my best hardware was bought less than half price or even given away (since it was broken) But yep be cautious. Me I just got a wii... sadly im not impressed with it and was hoping to be :(

But Im holding out on ps3 until the 120GB comes out in april.. then Ill snag the cheap 80GB version and use the update thats coming out next month that makes 95% of all ps1 and 2 games work muahah...cough....wheeezee.. ahem sorry.
    Ps3 will win the console wars in the end..I can sense it.. its odd really since wii rocked so hard in sales.. they just dont have games to back it up :(
    (in the end I will own them all though muahaha)

Just know refurb could just mean a darn cd tray was stuck or a capacitor blew.. not all refurbs are total wreck.. but... indeed, some are and Ive worked with alot of people who should be at Mcdonalds(tm) rather than soldering stuf.

Well yeah, if it's OFFICIALLY refurbished you haven't got much to worry about, but the problem is that doesn't happen too often, the place we've got around here is Gamestop, they've got their own people, they don't send systems off to Nintendo or Sony or who-ever, so they can't really be trusted, I tend to use electronics 'til the life is drained out of it and there's absolutely no chance it will ever working again, my X-Box is getting to that level, but unfortunately alot of other people do that too, so when it's on it's last leg they sell it to a game store, they send it off to their people, their people fix the stuff that makes it obvious that it's about to die, and then you buy it, and it dies two weeks later, I had an SNES like that a few years ago.

• @Kaldire said: Just know refurb could just mean a darn cd tray was stuck or a capacitor blew.. not all refurbs are total wreck..

this may indeed be true. some refurbished parts are even better than the original ones. for example, if a motherboard contains a bunch of faulty capacitors that are known to have a very short livespan, a nicely refurbished version will probably have all faulty parts replaced, even if they were still working.
    also, you are right about to much stuff being thrown away. not only is it sad that so much junk is produced and resources are wasted, but also that this is what the industry is aiming for. with a lot of stuff you are supposed to trow is away and buy a new one. i tried to fix my old dvd player, which schould have been rather easy, because just a single component was blown, but i couldn't tell if is was a fuse or a resistor or whatever. none of the usual markings were used..

Add Comment