11 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well they lost narrative. (Eats the rest of his words)

    Edit:
    Well they got:
    Best Character Design for Lee.
    and
    Best Downloadable Game.

  • I really dont see how spec ops: the Line was better than the walking dead...at all...

  • @HelloCthulhu said: I really dont see how spec ops: the Line was better than the walking dead...at all...



    Didn't it also have an amazing story? One that attacked every modern shooter in one swoop?

  • @HelloCthulhu said: I really dont see how spec ops: the Line was better than the walking dead...at all...



    As I am told it has an amazing emotional story AND actual gameplay. I guess I'm going to buy and try it in the christmas sale.

  • as emotional as you can have in a soldier's story

  • Believe me on this:

    In terms of narrative alone, Spec Ops: The Line is one of the finest examples the video game medium has to offer. This isn't some run-and-gun Hero's Glory power fantasy.

    Spec Ops: The Line is many, may things, but most succiently put I think it can be called both the harshest indictment of and simultaneously the best example of the modern war shooter.

    If nothing else, the game is EXTREMELY bold and daring, and deserves any little scrap of recognition it can drudge up for itself.

  • @Rather Dashing said: Believe me on this:

    In terms of narrative alone, Spec Ops: The Line is one of the finest examples the video game medium has to offer. This isn't some run-and-gun Hero's Glory power fantasy.

    Spec Ops: The Line is many, may things, but most succiently put I think it can be called both the harshest indictment of and simultaneously the best example of the modern war shooter.



    i will have to give this a go when i can get it, with a name like spec ops i think i just filtered it out of my (in my head) list of games to watch because of how bad/ridiculous the story of COD:WM2 was, i have just been put off any soldier based shooter because they were all about what would make a 13 year old boy say "COOL!!"?

  • @thestalkinghead said: i will have to give this a go when i can get it, with a name like spec ops i think i just filtered it out of my (in my head) list of games to watch because of how bad/ridiculous the story of COD:WM2 was, i have just been put off any soldier based shooter because they were all about what would make a 13 year old boy say "COOL!!"?


    You have this perception because you're supposed to. The game spends a lot of effort pretending to be something it's not, so it can use those conventions to suit both a character-driven narrative point and a metaphorical point about war games and the people who play them. This game's advertising, box art, and even the opening sequence and first mission are designed in such a way as to make you think you're looking at and playing a very typical Modern Warfare-style shooter.

    You're not.

  • and that is what makes it so interesting to me.

  • Gah! You've gone and intrigued me again, Dashing!

Add Comment