User Avatar Image

The evolution of Kenny

posted by Demopan on - last edited - Viewed by 637 users

Nice Kenny: This is Kenny in the beginning. He cares about the rest of the people and is a smart, capable leader. He focuses on the well-being of the group.

Asshole Kenny: After the meat locker, he begins to hate people and focus only on survival. He steals the food from a car of starving people. If you didn't help him kill Larry, he abandons you to die in the drugstore. He chooses to let a girl die in the street, leave Lilly behind and he's mean to Clementine.

Grieving Kenny: After Duck and Katjaa died, Kenny became a one-track man. He is either grieving for his family or focusing all his attention on one thing (the boat).

Repentant Kenny: Kenny gets like this for only a few moments. He's either like this when Ben explodes at him, or when he sees the dead couple. He is focused on getting clementine and improving himself, and really ends on a high note.

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Demopan said: Nice Kenny: This is Kenny in the beginning. He cares about the rest of the people and is a smart, capable leader. He focuses on the well-being of the group.

Asshole Kenny: After the meat locker, he begins to hate people and focus only on survival. He steals the food from a car of starving people. If you didn't help him kill Larry, he abandons you to die in the drugstore. He chooses to let a girl die in the street, leave Lilly behind and he's mean to Clementine.

Grieving Kenny: After Duck and Katjaa died, Kenny became a one-track man. He is either grieving for his family or focusing all his attention on one thing (the boat).

Repentant Kenny: Kenny gets like this for only a few moments. He's either like this when Ben explodes at him, or when he sees the dead couple. He is focused on getting clementine and improving himself, and really ends on a high note.

Good read. I think the reason he sort of turned into an asshole after the meat locker was because he realized his family is not/will never be safe in this world, and is willing to sacrifice anything and anyone to keep them alive.

• [quote]Asshole Kenny: After the meat locker, he begins to hate people and focus only on survival. He steals the food from a car of starving people. If you didn't help him kill Larry, he abandons you to die in the drugstore. He chooses to let a girl die in the street, leave Lilly behind and he's mean to Clementine.[/quote]

Some of those things I don't think make Kenny an asshole.

Stealing food and supplies from the station wagon: The vehicle was found appearing to be abandoned, without any sign of whoever had driven it. For all Kenny or anyone else knew, it was just as likely that the 'owners' had gotten into trouble and died. It wasn't a clear cut case of taking something that you knew belonged to someone else.

Also the group was starving and desperate, and not taking the food and supplies could have potentially doomed them.

Leaving a girl to die on the street: She looked like she was almost a walker herself, and was acting crazy. Considering that she looked like Irene or post-bite Lee, there was nothing that could be done for her, and mercy-killing her would have just drew the attention of the zombies. Leaving her to die may be a tough choice, but it is also the right one.

Mean to Clementine: I can't really address that one, as I can't recall him ever being mean to her in the game. When does that happen?

Leaving Lilly behind: Lilly had just murdered Carley or Doug, either one of which was completely loyal to the group and had not been working with the bandits. In Carley's case, she was also with the possible exception of Lee the best fighter in the group, and as such one of the most useful members if you had to battle zombies or bandits.

So not only did Lilly commit one of the worst crimes of the Zombie Apocalypse (murdering a fellow survivor in cold blood, without cause) but she had potentially robbed the group of one of its most capable members, putting every one else in greater danger.

After murdering Carley or Doug, Lilly could not be trusted and fully deserved to be left on the side of the road.

Abandoning Lee in the Drugstore:
    This is the only thing posted where I agree that Kenny was being an asshole. He was being petty and letting personal grudges cloud his judgement.

• Kenny's reaction when Ben snaps is awesome, he took it way better then I thought he would. Gotta say keeping Ben around just for this scene alone is reason enough to save Ben on any playthough, plus the alleyway scene is much better than the dark room scene IMO.

• @Scaeva said: Mean to Clementine: I can't really address that one, as I can't recall him ever being mean to her in the game. When does that happen?

Only example (Which isn't much) I can think of is when he told Clementine to get on the train after she mentions Duck is sick. Other then that I can't think of any time he is somewhat mean to her.

• Evolution of Kenny:

Hershal's farm: Sure Lee, I'll give you a ride -- incident with Duck -- (Look on Kenny's face says NO WAY IN HELL ARE YOU COMING WITH US) Thanks to Kat we got a ride.

Macon: Back him up and protect Duck.

Cannibal Cove: Refuse to murder in his name.

After that, no matter what you do: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR MY FAMILY!!!! TROLLOLOLOLOL!!!

• @Yertos said: Kenny's reaction when Ben snaps is awesome, he took it way better then I thought he would. Gotta say keeping Ben around just for this scene alone is reason enough to save Ben on any playthough, plus the alleyway scene is much better than the dark room scene IMO.

Agreed. Its much more emotional and Kenny really looks like the bigger man.

• @DreadMagus said: Evolution of Kenny:

Hershal's farm: Sure Lee, I'll give you a ride -- incident with Duck -- (Look on Kenny's face says NO WAY IN HELL ARE YOU COMING WITH US) Thanks to Kat we got a ride.

Macon: Back him up and protect Duck.

Cannibal Cove: Refuse to murder in his name.

After that, no matter what you do: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR MY FAMILY!!!! TROLLOLOLOLOL!!!

What game have you been playing? The first thing he says after the death of Shawn is "You got that ride to Macon if you want it" without Katjaa doing anything.

• @Sutinen said: What game have you been playing? The first thing he says after the death of Shawn is "You got that ride to Macon if you want it" without Katjaa doing anything.

Concerning Katjaa's reaction,If I remember correctly(it's been a long time) Kenny looks to Katjaa for guidance before offering the ride.
    Katjaa looks at Clementine and then Kenny, which I thought meant "Don't you dare abandon this little girl Ken"

I've played both choices concerning Duck/Shaun but I can't remember if that scene changes due to who Lee tried to save,sorry,maybe someone else knows?

• I'm really really really amazed when I see someone admires Kenny for something he did or something he mentioned.
    How can you guys love a man who has no balls for anything?
    I can understand if someone says : "Ok, he is harmless to me, and I think the guy has no influence on me."
    But I really can't understand placing him on a plot-"Hero of All Times". So, I don't think he had any progress on personality evolution.

The only thing that he did for help is giving a hand to LEEME when we were escaping the drugstore all together.
    In the end he chose to come with me to save Clem, but after I said "Clem is family". (which has no effect on me.)
    He shared his RV, maybe the best thing he did for the group.

So, I can understand two kind of approaches: "like Kenny" or "hate Kenny". Because there are two kinds of Kennies in the game according to your playthrough but even if you agreed with him with every possible way, I don't think he is still not kind of a guy to be bearable.
    No matter how much a player may fall in love with him, I don't think most of his actions, decisions, treatments to others, his attitude, his priorities are tolerable.

At least it is hard for me to accept a man as "friend" while he was offering to leave that lonely girl be, so they could have much time"(I doesn't matter to me, she is bit or not).
    Enough to understand someone's personality, I can't take so much morals.

Maybe for just one time, if he could be a man to take care of Clem when they came back from ferry (after Lee disappeared in the sewers), I WAS READY TO FORGET ALL HIS NEGATIVE SIDES. Everything!

But he chose to sit and drink insanily instead of looking after a nine year old girl whom Kenny knows his best friend loves just enough to spare his own life.

"Kenny to the rescue! For the sake of the universe!"

• @dukeleto said: But I really can't understand placing him on a plot-"Hero of All Times". So, I don't think he had any progress on personality evolution.

Saying Kenny isn't a hero is understandable, but saying he doesn't evolve over the season is just wrong. EP1-EP2 Kenny is much different from EP5 Kenny.

Add Comment