User Avatar Image

what are some games similar to The Walking Dead?

posted by Anti-John on - last edited - Viewed by 43.7K users

I'm looking for games that have a really amazing story and similar game mechanics such as: having choices affect the game, conversation trees, cinematic gameplay etc. I can think of some games I've already played that are similar such as: Heavy Rain, Mass Effect (not that close, but still a little close) and I can also think of some games that I suspect are similar from what I've heard/seen such as: Fallout or Back to the Future. I've wanted to play a Fallout game for the longest time but never got around to it because I really like the idea of complete freedom and how "no two playthroughs are alike." Are there any other games similar to that and Walking Dead? I've also been interested in playing BTTF because I'm a huge fan of the films and I liked the demo and I also loved the premise of the story. How does it compare to Walking Dead?

Aside from anything I've mentioned, do you have any other suggestions?

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The only ones i know are Fahrenheit and Heavy rain, you can choose what do you want to say, and to do, and it affects the storyline. just like the walking dead :rolleyes:

• Hm, I'm not too familiar with the genre outside of the really mainstream games (The Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect). You could try inFamous, I suppose. The gameplay between The Walking Dead and inFamous are much different (inFamous is largely an action-cetral game) but it does have those key decision moments that really define your character. Although the decisions don't have as much as an impact as they should and they are largely white and black decisions (good vs. bad) in contrast to The Walking Dead decisions which are usually more so in varying shades of grey... I still found the game enjoyable, for the most part. I'd recommend the second inFamous though (everyone likes the first one more but ehh...).

If you want to feel a real impact with the story you could try To The Moon... although games like that really require a certain taste. The graphics are very retro style (for the lack of better words), there's little choices, and there's literally no gameplay involved. The story will leave you in tears as well as interest you though. Can't say that with any authority throughout the game though because I have not completed it as of yet though...

Wish I could be more help, I honestly can't think of many games that are similar to The Walking Dead, neither of those games are really that much similar to it. Ergh, maybe someone else can help you?

• @MateusWolf said: The only ones i know are Fahrenheit and Heavy rain, you can choose what do you want to say, and to do, and it affects the storyline. just like the walking dead :rolleyes:

I already played Heavy Rain (which I mentioned), but I wonder how Fahrenheit compares to it. Is it a big step back in terms of gameplay and polish etc? Or does it feel as good as Heavy Rain?

• @CarScar said: Hm, I'm not too familiar with the genre outside of the really mainstream games (The Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect). You could try inFamous, I suppose. The gameplay between The Walking Dead and inFamous are much different (inFamous is largely an action-cetral game) but it does have those key decision moments that really define your character. Although the decisions don't have as much as an impact as they should and they are largely white and black decisions (good vs. bad) in contrast to The Walking Dead decisions which are usually more so in varying shades of grey... I still found the game enjoyable, for the most part. I'd recommend the second inFamous though (everyone likes the first one more but ehh...).

If you want to feel a real impact with the story you could try To The Moon... although games like that really require a certain taste. The graphics are very retro style (for the lack of better words), there's little choices, and there's literally no gameplay involved. The story will leave you in tears as well as interest you though. Can't say that with any authority throughout the game though because I have not completed it as of yet though...

Wish I could be more help, I honestly can't think of many games that are similar to The Walking Dead, neither of those games are really that much similar to it. Ergh, maybe someone else can help you?

I already have both Infamous 1 and 2 and they're great games and somewhat similar to Walking Dead, but essentially, they're not at all similar haha. To The Moon looks interesting, I might give it a try. Thanks.

• The Walking Dead is kind of unique plot-wise for a video gamee. If you want similar gameplay, then I suggest playing other Telltale games as well as other point-and-click adventures.

As for a deep emotional story? I simply must recommend Silent Hill 2, and if you like that, go play 1 and 3 in that order but Silent Hill 2 works on so many levels by itself and is the best one of the original three.

If you're looking for another great zombie game, then you must absolutely must partake of the masterpiece of the Resident Evil REmake. It's not a point-and-click, but it's one of the best zombie games ever made.

So, Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil, and other Telltale/adventure games are my suggestions.

• I played Jurassic Park The Game and i thought it's really good. It has characters you can quickly warm up to, lots of intense scenes. The only downsides are that you're given less freedom then The Walking Dead (Not being able to walk by yourself for one.) and the game is a giant quick time event. It's atmosphere and characters however make up for it and i actually kinda enjoyed the QTEs...a lot.

I still recommend you should take a look at it.

EDIT: Oh, there's not much choices in there though. There's a one single choice at the end of the game that lets you see one of the two endings, but i don't think there's anything else but that.

• User Avatar Image
    ArthurV Telltale Staff

I absolutely adore Alpha Protocol, despite the middling reviews it received. It uses a similar timed choice/dialog system, and its consequences to gameplay are profound. I loved the spy setting, and the option to model your character's morality after one of the three JBs (James Bond, Jack Bauer, or Jason Bourne) was very clever. If you play Alpha Protocol as a turn-of-the-millennium CRPG (think Planescape Torment or Deus Ex) rather than as an action game, you will likely enjoy it as I did.

• @ArthurV said: I absolutely adore Alpha Protocol, despite the middling reviews it received. It uses a similar timed choice/dialog system, and its consequences to gameplay are profound. I loved the spy setting, and the option to model your character's morality after one of the three JBs (James Bond, Jack Bauer, or Jason Bourne) was very clever. If you play Alpha Protocol as a turn-of-the-millennium CRPG (think Planescape Torment or Deus Ex) rather than as an action game, you will likely enjoy it as I did.

humm, i bought that when it was super cheap on steam, but i think i was to tired to play it and i forgot about it, i guess now i have seen a personal recommendation i will give it another go

• Yeah Heavy Rain and Farenheit are the only games that come to mind. They are excellent games like the walking dead too.

• Just look for point and click games. However they get less attention then mobile games so you need to go out of your way to find them.

Add Comment