User Avatar Image

What's with everyone hating on Kenny?

posted by Advanced on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I don't get it.

In my playthrough of the game, he was the closest person to me besides Clem.

I don't understand why people hate him for the things he did. Lets put you guys in his situations.

1. If Clem or Shawn is in trouble, wouldn't you make sure Clem is safe before Shawn is? Especially if there's another person around to help the other.

2. If Larry would be screaming that Clem is bitten and want's to throw her out, wouldn't you get defensive and wanna punch him in the face?

3. If you looted the entire area around you and ran out of resources wouldn't you want to move on if you had your own RV? Nothing left.

4. (The most debatable one, but I will always side with Kenny here) Killing Larry. I am stunned by how many people decided to try and save him. Are you guys serious? This guy was a complete arse to you the entire time. He tried to KILL YOU in EP 1 and threatened you/blackmailed you in episode 2. He was not afraid to kill you if he had the chance. In fact by trying to kill you he put Clem's life in danger more or less the same as Ben did leaving her.

And now you're in a locked room with someone who's known to have heart issues who just dropped and stopped breathing. You and your family is in danger of getting eaten by a really strong zombie with no way out.

Are you REALLY going to try and revive someone like that? Understanding very well that if you don't get it in time you just doomed everyone in that room, you, Clem, Kenny everyone. Dead. And people seem to blame Kenny for doing what he did?

Everyone can have their own opinions on this topic, but I would never put everyone at risk to try and save some that is a complete POS and is about to turn and kill you all. Kenny was absolutely in the right state of thinking here.

5. If Clem was bitten... wouldn't YOU want to hold out on killing her? Wouldn't you want to grasp on to hope and have every last second with her? It's not like he didn't come to his sense's... He did what he had to do at the very end, if you say you forced him, that's what the group is there for. Supporting each other.

Hell if Clem was bitten I would just turn off the game because I wouldn't be able to kill her. In fact in real life I don't know how I would react to something like this. Kenny was extremely strong by the end of all this.

I'll skip a lot of the minor parts here and go to EP 4

6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... Let's say Ben got Clem killed, caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time, wouldn't YOU want him dead in the spur of the moment? At the end of the day you all have emotions.

I can keep going on and on... but every time I hear people talk about how much Kenny was an asshole I just do not get it. What would you do so different in his position? What makes him such an asshole? Because he always faced reality and told things like they were? He was just a man trying to take care of his family. What's with all the hate on him?

In fact, by the end of the game Kenny was the only one I trusted with Clem. Not only would Clem become part of Kenny's family this way (Thus giving Kenny a reason to keep going now) but I damn well know he would do everything in his power to protect her. Whatever it is, he would do whats best for her safety.

171 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @The Fallen said: Cant be the only reason, since he liked me at the end of episode 2 ("there is a place in the RV for you after all"), after all three of those had happened, but was only neutral by the end, im thinking i probably needed to shoot duck myself, He was only a dick to me that one time, but it was a pretty major moment, when i was dying. I would love to know what the actual calculation is for whether he immediately volunteers or not.

I can understand why he'd dislike me over the Shawn thing, reasonably, but its a little disappointing that even after everything else we'd been through he'd still hold that sole incident on the first day against me. I surely cared for his family enough after that point to redeem myself? In terms of my sitting on the fence well i tended to want to solve problems diplomatically, i was always on Kenny's side, just taking a different approach to the problem. Take the "reason with him" option, that was not me backing Larry up, that was me wanting to talk him out of it, there was no way in hell i was ever letting Duck get thrown out and the conversation with him and Lilly were only minor and i just gave honest views on things, he was never angry at me over them.

Ben... Well i just hated the cowardice, and the fact he didn't really improve at all. I can live with the mistakes, but IMO he lets people die when he could have done something twice just because he was scared. I mean i know that Kenny does it once with Shawn but he is then plagued by guilt and i got the sense that he works very hard to make up for it. When Ben made the deal with the bandits and figured out they didn't actually have his friend there was ample opportunity to talk to someone about it, such as Lee if he really looked up to him, and it all could have been dealt with, even as late as the argument on the roadside, when that Lilly and Carley argument is clearly turning ugly he is the one with the magic words to end it. He doesn't say them and Carley dies, later on despite being clearly feeling guilty over what happened, his next major action is to run and leave a 9 year old girl to the walkers, ultimately Chuck dies. The guy was just never even close, does he actually kill a single walker? I rarely gave up on people, but with him and with Lilly i did, he wasn't worth more people dying.

I actually have exactly the same ranking as you do it seems, Clem, Lee, Carley and Kenny were my favourites. I dont hate Kenny for that at all, but its the difference between him and the other close friend you can have as Lee in Carley. I thought very highly of them both, but she was the only one to consistently reciprocate. He needed to take a step back and realise just how much i had done for him, which it felt like he had done to some extent by the time of his death and when he eventually agreed to come with me.

It would be nice for him to live, though the dialogue i got from the version with Christa ("I'll be...OK...argg...get off me..". or something like that) didn't sound too good and it would be weird meeting him as a stranger again.

Tbh, it doesn't take much for Kenny to side against you. There are a few where he will side against you immediately in ep 4: The meatlocker decision and the talking down of his boat plan at the house. And I know what you mean. I liked Kenny alot, and he was like my Lee's bro, but he was still a dick at times, being kinda selfish. But mostly I don't blame his actions. Also, Mark and Doug become good friends with Lee. You could say Mark and Lee weren't together long, but they were with each other in the 3 month spread.

And just because Kenny wants you to go on the boat with him, it doesn't mean he is willing to risk his life, for unless you help him pretty much every time, unless you say " Clementine is the only family I have left" you won't get him with you.

Those sounds you heard mean't struggle, not pain. He could be fine. He was in a building, meaning other rooms, exits, doors, stairways, windows, possibly an elevator.

Carley was only more favorite to me because they were just starting to become a couple, and they trusted each other.

As for the Duck situation, you could shoot Duck yourself, and the good thing to do would either be to let him shoot duck, or shoot Fidel in the attic. Kenny will hold you against siding with Larry, because trying to reason with him counts as siding with Larry (idk why or know if they fixed it). Also, Kenny sees it that he depended on you as a friend to side with him on situations. It won't affect his decision much, but it adds up.

• And I liked Ben. TWD made you want to hate Ben, but all his actions were justified. I didn't like some of his choices, and when I found out he was the reason for all of Ep 3's deaths I was really pissed, I still didn't kill him. I even tried my best to save him in ep 5 ( and even now am clueless as to why Lee and Kenny didn't carry him behind the gate. I mean, they act like the rim and Ben was THAT heavy. They would have had the time to save him, and considering he would die, could have saved him without Kenny's sacrifice).

• I think actually debating the finer points of every sound is pretty pointless, at the end of the day it is fiction and whether he lives or dies will be the writers decision. You're right that they have a plausible way to bring him back in one piece if they see fit.

Mark and Doug were good guys, neither lived long enough in my playthrough though, ( i admit i sometimes make the mistake of seeing what happened in my first playthrough as "what really happened", others would have gotten to know Doug and some were closer to Lilly than Kenny). It was Kenny and Carley for me at least (with Clem as family ofc)

In terms of the him wanting you to come with him, well he was going to go on his own and leave everyone, but changed his mind, was for me a sign that he considered me a good friend as late on as that (having also said that to me at the end of episode 1) , while me not being there for him was initial reason for not coming with me which leads me to think i upset him somehow after that. Doesn't really matter though. He came around.

As for Bens death with Kenny, the man was impaled, i reckon moving him would have finished him off even you moved the rim with him, while the only doctor they knew had recently betrayed them and left, he was screwed. Kenny just made sure he wouldn't get eaten alive, it was the only thing they could do, As for why Kenny did it, in his own words it was "i either save that boy or i see her again", if he had just shot him from the gate or dragged him away he would have got neither of those things.

• @Rozzer616 said: Seriously? Ok then, everyone who doesn't help you is a coward. Lilly is a coward for not helping with the zombie teacher, Doug is a coward for being scared of zombies, Clem is a coward for not helping with the Carley and Doug saving scene. Come on, you can't expect everyone to just jump in and save lives. Kenny is always the one made out to be the worst just 'cause of that one scene in the meat locker. Kenny feels bad about Shawn because, looking back on it, he knew he could've tried to help (not that he was a coward). Not everyone can put their own life at risk to save a stranger, especially when they're needed to protect their own family (and no, that isn't being selfish).

And with Larry, they wouldn't have known how long it would take him to turn and the only experience they had with someone turning was the teacher...and he changed pretty quickly. Going by that experience, Kenny could be thinking that Larry would become a zombie in about a minute and he would've caused more trouble than the teacher had.

Lilly was on top of the RV, there were plenty of others trying to help in a small area. She couldn't help. She would just get in the way. If somehow she was able to and did not, then yes, she would be (that or spiteful).

Doug is not a coward for being scared of zombies. Cowardice is letting fear get the better of you, not being unafraid. Did you forget that he still acts even when he's scared. It potentially costs him his life at the pharmacy. Still, he takes action to help. Not a coward.

Clem is not a coward. She's definitely afraid, but she doesn't let it paralyze her. She manages to find the walking stick to brace the door. As for Carley and Doug, what was she going to do? Pull Doug away from multiple zombies trying to yank him out a window? She can't even shake a single zombie off herself. Get Carley's bullets? She isn't tall enough to see where the purse is. She could fumble around until she finds it, then pull it down so she can find the bullets, but by then, Carley is dead. Heck, Lee barely manages to get the bullets in time when he simply reaches in and grabs them. Clem is unable to help, so she gets no blame for it.

Kenny was right there, and had nothing to stop him from helping. To just walk away is cowardly. Period. Stranger or not, Shawn was actively helping Kenny by reinforcing that fence, and got injured thanks to Duck. Kenny had a moral obligation to help the man, but he ran away.

The hate for Kenny is due to a lot of factors. The meat locker event is just the go-to in explaining why. There's a whole lot of other reasons to hate him. For the record, I don't, but I can see why others do. The attitude he gives when you dare to disagree with him on any issue is just irritating. Try to remain neutral and he says you have to pick a side. You side against him, and he takes it personally. Unless you agree with him 100%, he will use it as an excuse to be an ass to you and leave you for dead. That's a very hateable quality right there, regardless of how well you can empathize.

• Uh, no one seems to be mentioning the fact that Kenny would leave Clem, a little girl, to die over a personal grudge with Lee...? That is the most despicable thing he has ever done.

• @CarScar said: Uh, no one seems to be mentioning the fact that Kenny would leave Clem, a little girl, to die over a personal grudge with Lee...? That is the most despicable thing he has ever done.

Exactly. Most of his other flaws I can forgive but this is the worst. switch positions with Lilly and no matter how much she might hate you, she wouldn't leave Clem because of it, hell maybe even Larry would still come.

• @Yertos said: Exactly. Most of his other flaws I can forgive but this is the worst. switch positions with Lilly and no matter how much she might hate you, she wouldn't leave Clem because of it, hell maybe even Larry would still come.

Bullshit. Lilly fucking leaves you, Clem and everyone to rot when she steals the R.V. Even if you've agreed with her on everything, been nothing but nice to her, agree to come with her, she high tails it the hell out of there the second Lee steps out to retrieve Clementine. The bitch didn't give two shits about Clementine or anyone really.

Hell, if the positions were switched and you tried the family card on Lilly, she probably just list every single minor offense you ever made to her oh so lovable jackass of a father who tried to murder you. "You didn't give my father your axe that one time, just because he wanted to kill you that once!"

I've got a lot of issues with Kenny, but don't go pretending Lilly would have stepped up. She'd more likely run off with Veron's group than help you find Clementine. Just like how she stole Kenny's RV after months of bitching about what a terrible idea it was.

• I find it hard to believe that Lilly or Larry would come without question, seeing as they were going to leave Clem to die in Episode 1 along with 4 other people. The only lives that matter to the two of them are their own. That being said, Kenny is no better if you don't take his side. The difference in my mind, is that only days after the walkers appeared Lilly and Larry were already leaving children to die in the streets, while Kenny simply panicked when Shawn was attacked. That was fear, not cold-hearted survival instincts. He even redeems himself for that at the end of the episode after saving Lee no matter what he thinks of him.

Maybe the reason I put up with Kenny and consider him a friend is because he was a good guy in the beginning, and just started going downhill while the group was going through an extremely fucked up situation. His wife and kid dying, and him blaming it all on himself just made matters worse. Even when Ben reveals that it was him, finding out that the person who got your family killed had been lying to your face about it, and possibly your best friend if Lee had always taken his side, would break any normal person. In the end, he redeems himself again by trying to save Ben or actually saving Christa. He finally comes around, and does some good.

Even though I see it like that, I'd probably hate him if he left me to die a couple times too. And even though I'm his bro, I still hate it whenever he interacts with Christa and Omid because he treats them like crap for no real reason on their part. Chuck and Molly too, who were just trying to help the group.

• @Rock114 said: I find it hard to believe that Lilly or Larry would come without question, seeing as they were going to leave Clem to die in Episode 1 along with 4 other people. The only lives that matter to the two of them are their own. That being said, Kenny is no better if you don't take his side. The difference in my mind, is that only days after the walkers appeared Lilly and Larry were already leaving children to die in the streets, while Kenny simply panicked when Shawn was attacked. That was fear, not cold-hearted survival instincts. He even redeems himself for that at the end of the episode after saving Lee no matter what he thinks of him.

Maybe the reason I put up with Kenny and consider him a friend is because he was a good guy in the beginning, and just started going downhill while the group was going through an extremely fucked up situation. His wife and kid dying, and him blaming it all on himself just made matters worse. Even when Ben reveals that it was him, finding out that the person who got your family killed had been lying to your face about it, and possibly your best friend if Lee had always taken his side, would break any normal person. In the end, he redeems himself again by trying to save Ben or actually saving Christa. He finally comes around, and does some good.

Even though I see it like that, I'd probably hate him if he left me to die a couple times too. And even though I'm his bro, I still hate it whenever he interacts with Christa and Omid because he treats them like crap for no real reason on their part. Chuck and Molly too, who were just trying to help the group.

Yeah, Kenny was basically a good guy ground down into being an asshole by how shitty the world was. Lilly and Larry were simply assholes period. They're both for abandoning people at every turn unless they can get something out of them and usually refuse to ever put themselves in harm's way.

Kenny starts fairly noble. He panics at Hershel's farms but he doesn't make excuses for it, admits it was his fault and it sticks with them even after his moral downside. After Larry wanted to kill his son for what turned out to be nothing, he immediately assures Lilly they'll get Larry's pills. And after Larry tries to murder Lee, Kenny comes back for him, even if Lee's been nothing but an asshole to him in episode one.

Even later when he starts acting like a prick I don't think it quite measures up to Lilly and Larry. With Danny St. John he freezes up and doesn't help, but looks ashamed afterwards and was about to apologize before he hears Kat. Lilly on the other hand is safe and sound at the barn with a rifle and just sits there while Clementine looks on in terror as Andy is about to murder Lee. Kenny refuses to put his neck on the line to help Lee up at the pharmacy but does wait around to see if Lee gets up and covers you on the way out, Larry leaves you to die there regardless of what you do. Even if you didn't tell Kenny about your past, and have been a colossal prick to him, Kenny let's you back on the R.V. Lilly, no matter how good you treat her, abandons you.

And Kenny keeps taking chances and is willing to bring people along if they can keep up and aren't a post confession Ben. And in Episode 5 Kenny finally seems to get his shit together and starts realizing how big a dick he's been, especially if Ben tells him off. Lilly probably would have just shot everyone then complained about how them being dead was inconsiderate for making her do all the work. :p

• @Jaded X Gamer said: Bullshit. Lilly fucking leaves you, Clem and everyone to rot when she steals the R.V. Even if you've agreed with her on everything, been nothing but nice to her, agree to come with her, she high tails it the hell out of there the second Lee steps out to retrieve Clementine. The bitch didn't give two shits about Clementine or anyone really.

This is if she was still with you up till EP4's end. At the time she let her emotions get the best of her and either directly, or indirectly got another member killed. She knows right after it happens that its not gonna end well for her. If she stays with the group after, she is either going to be killed for what she did, or exiled with nothing and no hope of survival. I don't blame her for stealing the RV because honestly if I was put in the exact same situation I'd take my chances with the RV then hope the others let me live. Douche move? sure, but when pushed to the limit I bet almost everyone would place themselves above random people.

Kinda off-topic but I think Lilly gets more hate then she deserves.

Add Comment