User Avatar Image

Okay, with LucasArts now shut down...

posted by lattsam on - last edited - Viewed by 879 users

...what does this mean for Sam and Max Hit the Road and Sam and Max: Freelance Police?

13 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, nothing since it's Steve Purcell who owns the franchise.

  • Freelance Police was dead before

    Now it's ever-so-slightly deader

  • Same with Monkey Island & other Lucasarts games. Hope that if we are extremely extremely lucky that they decided to sell the rights off to other game developers who are actually interested in making games for the series. If we were extremely lucky maybe TTG could get Monkey Island & Hit the Road but Freelance Police has a way lower chance IMO. It looks like Freelance Police's chances of being completed are as low as ever and Hit the Road's chances is low as well. :/

  • In recent years a lot depended on who was in charge at LucasArts. Disney folding the IPs into their own portfolio is one more roll of the dice. Disney might potentially be more amenable to licensing out the old adventure game properties at a workable price than LA has been lately. Or not. Time will tell I suppose.

  • Honestly? Disney shutting down LucasArts won't change too much. For the past few years LucasArts has pretty much existed solely to hand the Star Wars license to other developers, so Disney cut out the middleman and decided to do that directly.

    As for all the other IPs, they'll probably get the same treatment LucasArts was giving them beforehand (i.e.: none at all). When Disney bought Lucasfilm, they cared about Star Wars, and to a lesser extent Indiana Jones. The many other IPs they acquired in the process were just extra baggage. Part of me is hoping they'll sell off the IPs they don't plan to use, but I wouldn't count on it.

  • Lattsam, Season One is more or less an episodic Freelance Police. There is no way the game is ever going to be made, nor is there any need for it. How many years have you been agonising over this? Let it go and enjoy your life.

  • @Teeth said: Lattsam, Season One is more or less an episodic Freelance Police. There is no way the game is ever going to be made, nor is there any need for it. How many years have you been agonising over this? Let it go and enjoy your life.

    Must... not... get... discouraged!

  • @RAnthonyMahan said: Honestly? Disney shutting down LucasArts won't change too much. For the past few years LucasArts has pretty much existed solely to hand the Star Wars license to other developers, so Disney cut out the middleman and decided to do that directly.

    As for all the other IPs, they'll probably get the same treatment LucasArts was giving them beforehand (i.e.: none at all). When Disney bought Lucasfilm, they cared about Star Wars, and to a lesser extent Indiana Jones. The many other IPs they acquired in the process were just extra baggage. Part of me is hoping they'll sell off the IPs they don't plan to use, but I wouldn't count on it.

    My fear that they will cannibalize/adapt Monkey Island into future Pirates of the Caribbean movies is really strong.. If Jack all of a sudden starts using rubber chickens with a pulley in the middle I will cry... real tears.

    I hope they will allow someone to license Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, Full Throttle and others ideally to the people who created them.. but Ron Gilbert has already expressed no interest in having to pay to work on his own creation... But hopefully SOMEONE who knows what they are doing will make more Monkey Island.

  • @lattsam said: Must... not... get... discouraged!

    I was in highschool when I first saw your threads about old VAs, Freelance Police and whathaveya...

  • @Falanca said: I was in highschool when I first saw your threads about old VAs, Freelance Police and whathaveya...

    I was in elementary :D

Add Comment