User Avatar Image

The XBOX 720 and stuff

posted by jackpinto on - last edited - Viewed by 426 users

I just came across this article talking about how the upcoming "Xbox 720" will have always-on DRM protection and may block used games via one-time-use activations codes. How would you all feel about this?

Personally, with the patent filing of how the Kinect can block the use of "unlicensed people" watching a rented or purchased movie, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a Playstation 4 now. Microsoft is going in the wrong direction (on various products), and the Xbox was the only one I was happy with. Welp, I have rid my life of Windows, and soon the Xbox.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The very fact Microsoft hired a guy like Orth means Microsoft has lost me as a customer this gen. I won't even look at what they're offering.

• @Secret Fawful said: The very fact Microsoft hired a guy like Orth means Microsoft has lost me as a customer this gen. I won't even look at what they're offering.

If they really get rid of used games and the PS4 doesn't the new Xbox is already dead.

• @St_Eddie said: The only purpose of Always-Online is to protect Microsoft's interests. Don't kid yourself into thinking that such a proposition is made to benefit the customer. It's not.

Good. Used games are a horrible thing and are legitimately taking money out of publishers' hands. Would be happy to see the back of them.

Also would be happy to see if this cuts down on piracy as well somehow, which'd be great.

• @Ribs said: Good. Used games are a horrible thing and are legitimately taking money out of publishers' hands. Would be happy to see the back of them.

See most console users don't. They don't have constant Steamdeals etc. They have higher prices which stay high a lot longer.

@Ribs said: Also would be happy to see if this cuts down on piracy as well somehow, which'd be great.

It will not. Nothing can stop piracy. Some people will (or can) never pay for their media and there is nothing anyone could do about that.

• @Secret Fawful said: The very fact Microsoft hired a guy like Orth means Microsoft has lost me as a customer this gen. I won't even look at what they're offering.

Really?

I mean, I can guarantee that Sony/Nintendo/Telltale/you name it has at least one douche that works there. They just either have douches that have better sense of what they shouldn't tweet, or they inform said douches of what they shouldn't tweet.

• @Ribs said: Good. Used games are a horrible thing and are legitimately taking money out of publishers' hands. Would be happy to see the back of them.

Also would be happy to see if this cuts down on piracy as well somehow, which'd be great.

Looks like The game I am making called Awesome Pony Fighting Game couldn't have come at a better time. No DRM, all assets under Creative Commons CC-BY 3.0,code under GPLV3. The gaming industry business model is about to change. Here is the Demo https://github.com/jubilee145/APFG

Used Games are good. The bigger the fan base the better. CopyRight is evil. Its Censorship. And yes the most restrictive creative commons licenses aka no deratives are also censorship but there are only 2 of them. It is much better than copyright. It protects the artist rather than the holder of the copyright just ask any one who signed with a record label.
    Also piracy may be good for business it is extremly debatable.

If they put the ability to have physical copy games on OUYA using sd cards especially Lib-ray http://lib-ray.org/ then there is going to be some trouble with Xbox.

• @der_ketzer said: See most console users don't. They don't have constant Steamdeals etc. They have higher prices which stay high a lot longer.

Yes, and they should pay those prices, like I do. That's how capitalism works.

• @TheBigGuns said:

Used Games are good. The bigger the fan base the better.

No, the more money going to the people who publish things the better. That's how money is supposed to flow.
    CopyRight is evil. Its Censorship.
    Not only is copyright not evil, but there's also absolutely nothing wrong with censorship.

Also piracy may be good for business it is extremly debatable.
    No, it isn't. I've seen various companies estimate over 60% of their users to be pirates, an estimated 60% of those estimated to also never intend to spend any money on any products whatsoever. These people aren't entitled to games, they should be stopped from playing them, and they should be heavily fined or penalized. Piracy is bad no matter what, however.

• @Ribs said: Yes, and they should pay those prices, like I do. That's how capitalism works.

Hey did you read my comment. Isn't used market part of capitalism or else it woud be illegal and no game stop.
    Investopedia explains 'Capitalism'
    In such a system, individuals and firms have the right to own and use wealth to earn income and to sell and purchase labor for wages with little or no government control. The function of regulating the economy is then achieved mainly through the operation of market forces where prices and profit dictate where and how resources are used and allocated. The U.S. is a capitalistic system.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/capitalism.asp

• Somehow, I don't think Microsoft is stupid enough to just outright ignore an entire section of the US where internet isn't stable enough.

Add Comment