User Avatar Image

Why Doug Fans ?

posted by master psychic on - last edited - Viewed by 347 users

I noticed that Doug fans have a tendency to criticize people who saved Carley over Doug just because many people saved her than Doug and all of them say that the people who saved her want boobies , and that she is hot etc .
I saved Carley and i don't criticize the people who saved Doug , both of them are great characters , so why ?
Why do you Doug fans have such a grudge against Carley fans and the people who saved her ? Is it because Telltale wants us all to save him ?
Just because Telltale wants us to save him that doesn't mean everyone will do the same choice , anyone can make different choices and have different motives .
I saved Carley because she is trustworthy and she always saves Lee from danger , does that mean that I saved her because i want boobs ?
I don't want to start a flame war , i just want to understand why Doug fans are angry at Carley fans and always jump to conclusions about their motives .

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't criticize people who choose Carley it is just when often we are overlooked and often forced to justify our choice

I personally am a Doug Fan but as long as people don't insult my decision I won't insult their's.

• I obviously don't want to generalize an entire group of people, but there's always a certain vocal minority of Doug fans who like to hop on a high horse believing they could rationalize all mankind by accusing Carley fans as "OMG BOOBS!" while ignoring the different and valid reasons for saving Carley instead of Doug. Dig through some old threads. You'll see what I mean.

Heck, the same sort of people were even active on the thread about Let's Play videos by OfflimitsPC, a female video maker, before mods stepped in and removed some of the comments accusing her fans as "OMG BOOBS!"

Like I said, this type is the vocal minority but from what I've seen they tend to hijack discussions which gives the fans of Doug a bad impression at times, even though they have their own reasons for saving Doug. Loud-mouths tend to make themselves heard. Just think Larry lol. I really don't think Doug fans in general are mad at us Carley fans.

• Personally I think they resent the fact Carley was more useful (overall) and more popular (apparently).

So they lash out at those who liked the character.

It probably doesn't help that some Carley-fans got extremely emo over her death.

• carley had more backstory and more interaction options with lee

doug was just 'some guy' in the group who liked robots and could programme a remote.. he was simply a 'plot device'

• @DreadMagus said:
    It probably doesn't help that some Carley-fans got extremely emo over her death.

This is actually why i don't like a lot of the Carley fans. I didn't seen any threads that people stopped playing the game after Kenny's death, or Ben's. Not Doug's death, not Katjaa's, i only saw the biggest uproar ever when Carley died.

I just don't understand what made her so special from others. She wasn't the only person that saved Lee's behind all the time. So many others can use a gun skillfully. And from my sight, it was only her that people cried over for some reason. I just..i just don't get it.

• @Maximus123458 said: This is actually why i don't like a lot of the Carley fans. I didn't seen any threads that people stopped playing the game after Kenny's death, or Ben's. Not Doug's death, not Katjaa's, i only saw the biggest uproar ever when Carley died.

I just don't understand what made her so special from others. She wasn't the only person that saved Lee's behind all the time. So many others can use a gun skillfully. And from my sight, it was only her that people cried over for some reason. I just..i just don't get it.

Probably because of how sudden and surprising it was, and the reasoning for it. Kenny gets to go out like a hero, Ben can potentially go out in a sort of hero style(while also supporting Kenny's sacrifice in his other). Heck, even Doug goes out like a hero by taking the bullet for Ben. Katjaa's was understandable, because it was caused by the heavily focused death of Duck.

Carley just up and died. No heroic saving, no last stand, and no good reason. Lilly kills her just because she felt like it. There was no build up like there was for most other deaths, either.

I was satisfied by how it happened, but it's clear she had the least reasonable death of the primary characters. With the exception of the final choice in episode 1(which doesn't really count) and Mark, she has the shortest death scene of any long-standing character in the game.

• Some Doug fans want to believe that people who saved Carley are immature, they like to believe that they're more mature than us. I met a guy who said anyone who saved Carley is an idiot. The fact that she was an attractive female was just icing on the cake, what really tipped the scale was how Carley actually showed her useful she was, saving Clem and I repeatably. Doug was just the guy who yelled at me when I was killing my brother / the guy who fixed the remote. Even Telltale admits that they failed to show enough of Doug in episode one.
    @Maximus123458 said: This is actually why i don't like a lot of the Carley fans. I didn't seen any threads that people stopped playing the game after Kenny's death, or Ben's. Not Doug's death, not Katjaa's, i only saw the biggest uproar ever when Carley died.

People were upset over her death because literally everyone else in the group, save Clementine, either was an asshole (Lilly / Kenny) or was just kind of there (Katjaa / Duck). She was the only sensible adult, save Katjaa, and was really just a delight compared to literally everyone else, at that point. That's why I was upset, at least. When she died I lost the only character, aside from Clementine, that I liked.

• @Maximus123458 said: This is actually why i don't like a lot of the Carley fans. I didn't seen any threads that people stopped playing the game after Kenny's death, or Ben's. Not Doug's death, not Katjaa's, i only saw the biggest uproar ever when Carley died.

In addition to what Mornai said, we also need to keep in mind that Carley is one of the few people that consistently backs up Lee without requiring you to agree with everything. Depending on how you play the game, Kenny might just end up being your enemy/frienemy. Ben is just not well liked by a lot of people. Katjaa and Duck's passings were very sad, but at the same time they don't really have much of a relationship build up with Lee. Carley knew Lee's secret and kept it secret. Trust is pretty big commodity.

I think the biggest impact of Carley after episode 3 was the lack of trust and confidence I felt towards other characters. Christa, Omid, Chuck were newcomers. Kenny either hates you and/or was in totally depressed state. Ben is a traitor and an imbecile. Molly was too mercenary for me. Though she is a child, I even felt Clem sucker punched me with her little chats with the Stranger.

So yeah, the game definitely felt a bit lonely for me after the RV, and I'm guessing others may have felt the same way.

• @Maximus123458 said:

Personal attachment due to player choice.

And some people say the choices didn't matter. :cool:

Combine that with a higher percentage of players choosing her, and you'll end up with a far larger pool of potential "emo fan types".

I wouldn't read too much into it.... it's all about numbers. There have been dickhead Doug fans too.... there just haven't been the same numbers due to fewer people choosing Doug over Carley.

• The problem is that IMHO people who chose Doug didn't feel rewarded for it. With Carley you have the option to tell the group about your past and all the romance thing, while Doug doesn't have an equivalent.
    And not to start a flame war, Doug felt useless while he actually did many useful things, while Carley was idle most of the time at the motel, and everyone says she is so awesome.

Add Comment