User Avatar Image

Telltale Games ending Tales of Monkey Island with a cliffhanger was a terrible move

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Now we have TWO cliffhangers in the Monkey Island series to drive us mad.

1. Ron Gilbert's - Monkey Island 2 cliffhanger

2. Telltale's - Tales of Monkey Island cliffhanger

Why did they do that if they weren't certain that they'd have the license for a sequel? Stupid move.

Since Lucasarts has closed down Tales of Monkey Island might be the final game... and it ends with a cliffhanger...

As much as I want to thank Telltale Games for making a new monkey Island game, I also want to kick them in the balls for the cliffhanger.

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I totally agree...

The main problem is that now Telltale wouldn't do a new Monkey Island even if they could get the license, they're not interested in old school graphic adventures anymore.

Since Lucasarts is now a licensing company maybe they will rent the license to another company to do a new Monkey Island (the last one?)... I hope that Telltale will allow another company to use Morgan and Winslow for their game...

• @mightypirate said: I totally agree...

The main problem is that now Telltale wouldn't do a new Monkey Island even if they could get the license, they're not interested in old school graphic adventures anymore.

Since Lucasarts is now a licensing company maybe they will rent the license to another company to do a new Monkey Island (the last one?)... I hope that Telltale will allow another company to use Morgan and Winslow for their game...

I would love for Winslow to become a traditionally returning character like Stan or Murray. I really liked Telltale's take on Monkey Island and I really can't see any other company's that could make a quality Monkey Island game, except Double Fine.

It really saddens me that Telltale seem to be backing away from the very thing that made their company special and so standout for me.

• I agree with you but I think that if Double Fine could get a license from Disney/Lucasarts (and that's highly improbable) Tim would be more interested in Grim Fandango or Full Throttle than in Monkey Island.

But I still think that the open ending from Tales need a closure... It sucks that the saga ended that way, it's like Star Wars would have ended after episode V. I don't know who else could do a good job, but the story needs an ending.

• I don't feel like Tales ended on a cliffhanger any more than any other Monkey Island game. Monkey 3 ends with Guybrush and Elaine getting married and then cuts to LeChuck trapped under the ice.

All we said at the end of Tales was that Morgan was going to be working with the Voodoo Lady now that she's a ghost. That doesn't actually have to mean anything. If anything we hoped it would mean that even in death Morgan felt like she had a purpose.

LeChuck is dead at the end of every Monkey Island game, but more often than not the last thing we hear is him laughing from beyond the grave, or shooting lightning out of his eyes, or whatever.

It could be the gateway to SWEET LORE CITY!! but I feel like it was designed to leave it open. If the next Monkey Island game wants to pick up directly after Tales, they can. If they want to just start a new adventure, the events at the end of Tales are more ominous than they are definite, so they can be treated as thematically relevant more than plot relevant with ease.

• The Voodoo lady having the jar of LeChuck was the part that made me think there was defanity going to be a sequel since she obviously had something in mind for it.

• @Jake said: Monkey 3 ends with Guybrush and Elaine getting married and then cuts to LeChuck trapped under the ice.

The ending of Curse of Monkey Island is just a wink to the fans. Tales' climax (ep.4-5) isn't just a wink, it's a cross-eyed stare while jumping on one foot, a plain attempt to confuse us cats. :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yguwBnQ-eM

I had no questions after Curse, I have a lot of questions after Tales. If this doesn't qualify for a sequel need, I don't know what does. ;-)

• We still don't know if the Voodoo Lady is evil or not! That's not an open ending, it's something that hasn't been explained in the game!

• @Jake said: If the next Monkey Island game wants to pick up directly after Tales, they can.

THEY? :eek:
    Ehm... YOU can.
    Are you subliminally telling me Telltale cannot ask for "Monkey Island" license anymore?

And, BTW, a mysterious ending could be ok, but... you derailed a little: it's not the ending itself, but the shadows on the narrative of the whole season that make the final plot foggy and incomprehensible to people.

What secrets holds the Vodoo Lady?
    Why Morgan's body disappeared?
    What's written in the Vodoo Lady's diary?
    Why Elaine is still dressed in black at the end?
    Who's Galeb?
    Why Le Chuck's belt didn't work on Elaine?
    What's hiding Elaine?
    How did she knows that Guybrush will need the ring?

I can go on, if you want. And these unresolved question just adds to those of MI2. Does the series really need to be entwined further?

That could be a result for A)a messy writing or B)a bigger scope for a sequel. I hope for the second option. Or tell me if there are any other. :P

• @Bloody Eugene said: THEY? :eek:
    Ehm... YOU can.
    Are you subliminally telling me Telltale cannot ask for "Monkey Island" license anymore?

And, BTW, a mysterious ending could be ok, but... you derailed a little: it's not the ending itself, but the shadows on the narrative of the whole season that makes the final plot foggy and incomprehensible to people.

What secrets holds the Vodoo Lady?
    Why Morgan's body disappeared?
    What's written in the Vodoo Lady's diary?
    Why Elaine is still dressed in black at the end?
    Who's Galeb?
    Why Le Chuck's belt didn't work on Elaine?
    What's hiding Elaine?
    How did she knows that Guybrush will need the ring?

I can go on, if you want. And these unresolved question just adds to those of MI2. Does the series really need to be entwined further?

That could be a result for A)a messy writing or B)a bigger scope for a sequel. I hope for the second option. Or tell me if there are any other. :P

I was about to write a response to Jake but you've perfectly summed up everything I want to say and much more. Cheers :D

Glad I'm not alone with my thoughts on the way the series ended. I doubt Telltale will ever make another classic old school adventure again.

• Oh yeah, the whole Tales plot was about some epic, important and mysterious "Voodoo Lady plan" started before "Secret of Monkey Island". At the end this plan remains secret, LeChuck is in some strange bottle, the Voodoo Lady can suddenly make the ghosts come back from the Afterlife, and the plot now is totally nonsense, but sure, no sequel needed...

... or let's just say that the Telltale totally disappointed the fans that obviously were hoping for a new season that could finally give a sense to the whole plot. And that if you weren't totally sure to end the story, you should have done a totally different game, with a TRUE ending.

Add Comment