User Avatar Image

What about a movie mode ?

posted by Mwyann on - last edited - Viewed by 758 users

Hi everybody,

I was playing Sam and Max a few days ago, and after having some episode finished, and realizing all the time I spent on it (clicking on quite every single dialog possibility to get all the mad the game can be full of), I thought i twould be nice to review it, like a movie, without playing, just seeing the entire action and dialogs (not ALL of them, but the funniest of course). This wouldn't be possible until you've just finished the game, as to protect the player from viewing all the game and get the solution so easily (why not, even through debug mode).

I think this is possible, I read some posts about the famous T3 Tool, and I'm sure this would be an interesting way of getting more Sam&Max out of the box with lots of pleasure. And it would make whole films real-timed generated :D

What about this ? Does it have been already discussed somewhere I didn't find ? Or maybe already made ? Or in progress ? What do you think of this ?

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The Season One DVD has all of the cut scenes. I can't remember if it has the dialogs though.

  • Well, it won't be only the cut scenes, but the whole game that you could see from the beginning to the end, without playing, just looking at the story just like you played it, but "movie style" (without in-game controls of course)... and why not, the possibility to stop the movie at any moment and get into the game to continue yourself :)

  • That would actually require an irritatingly large amount of effort for not a whole lot of gain.

  • Hmm, I supposed you just had to "simulate" the user clicks in place of letting the user play... but if you say so :p I wish I could just see an episode like a movie :)

  • On the DVD we tried to do a movie of the most produced looking and notable/memorable moments from each episode - they ended up being about 10-15 minutes each.

    @Mwyann said: Hmm, I supposed you just had to "simulate" the user clicks in place of letting the user play... but if you say so :p I wish I could just see an episode like a movie :)

    Until your pre-scripted click happens to, for instance, accidentally click on Max who was walking by of his own free will, or fails to click on Bosco because he has paced over to the left side of the counter, and then suddenly it's all off and the rest of your awesome pre-recorded clicks fail to hit their targets and you're screwed. That's just one example! It sounds easier than it is. We've thought about it before :) in the end, video is the easiest solution.

  • http://www.samandmaxchristmas.com/

    That's about as close as you get, though it's not 100% of Ice Station Santa (some stuff left out and some stuff changed)... also just to give you an idea that took a really long time to put together/edit/tweak. Nick and Justin and Jake (and anyone else who worked on it who I forgot) were at work for like a month straight putting it together.

  • I didn't really work on that, but hey! I made the logo!

  • @Jake said: Until your pre-scripted click happens to, for instance, accidentally click on Max who was walking by of his own free will, or fails to click on Bosco because he has paced over to the left side of the counter, and then suddenly it's all off and the rest of your awesome pre-recorded clicks fail to hit their targets and you're screwed.

    I thought you would just have to say "Click on Max" for instance, not "Click over there", telling actions more than just clickpoints. With that, you would not care about the item's position, cameras, and in-game display (inventory, mouse pointer...). Seems that the tool is not designed for that kind of "shortcuts", but I just thought it by playing the game.

    We've thought about it before :)

    I thought it too, but I was curious that nobody was talking about it.

    in the end, video is the easiest solution.

    OK then :) But if the idea just goes back in your mind, think about it ;)

  • @mikew said: http://www.samandmaxchristmas.com/

    That's about as close as you get, though it's not 100% of Ice Station Santa (some stuff left out and some stuff changed)... also just to give you an idea that took a really long time to put together/edit/tweak. Nick and Justin and Jake (and anyone else who worked on it who I forgot) were at work for like a month straight putting it together.

    Yes that's the idea, but not turned into a plain video (letting the poor little video cards doing their 3D-jobs). And keeping subtitles too :p (the video don't have any subtitles, and for me, as i'm actually french, it's hard to understand Sam&max, sometimes even with the text... hard to follow).

  • I get what you're saying but it would still be lots of work and Scott and Will would also have to test it out which would effectively double their QA time and they might have a Jack Torrance moment

Add Comment