User Avatar Image

Sam's Nose

posted by dankirk on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

What is the white mark on Sam's nose? It looks like chalk.

34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Profanity BANNED

A reflection, I guess?

• It's leftovers from a white doggy biscuit.

• I'm thinking he likes to party....

• @Epic Kiwi said: It's leftovers from a white doggy biscuit.

I think you meant an Ice Cream pop.. or a popsicle.. his love for snacks on a stick has been well documented.

• It's supposed to be a cartoonish shine, to show that his nose is shiny.

• It's painted on instead of being on a reflection map but its a shine.

• @Jake said: It's painted on instead of being on a reflection map but its a shine.

Hmmm. It kinda looks like an afterthought.

• He always has it when drawn. Even when it doesn't logically make sense, it just "looks right".

It's like how Mickey Mouse's Ears always point toward the viewer.

Fun Comparison Time!
    I got curious if the old model's nose ever just sat there like a lump of coal, and went looking for pictures.
    Seeing just how much has changed is actually really surprising. He obviously looked different in the trailer, but dang. Sam's come a far way since season one.

Check it out:

56sZ2eA.jpg?1N6tTWS5.jpg?1

For sake of comparison, here's Sam as drawn:
    u61DbbN.jpg?1

• Yeah, Sam's nose and hat shines maybe should have probably been actual shines instead of painted on, but it was an experiment in making sure he was fully actually hand painted. The guys looked at how Steve paints Sam in comic and box covers and applied that style to the game art.

And yeah the new Sam model is so good compared to the old one! He's all puffy and boxy in the old one.

• @Jake said: Yeah, Sam's nose and hat shines maybe should have probably been actual shines instead of painted on, but it was an experiment in making sure he was fully actually hand painted. The guys looked at how Steve paints Sam in comic and box covers and applied that style to the game art.

And yeah the new Sam model is so good compared to the old one! He's all puffy and boxy in the old one.

You know, I re-read "Sam & Max: The Big Sleep" on this site just yesterday, and despite me having always read Sam's dialogue in his voice from the 90s cartoon before, I totally heard Nowlin's voice in it this time. Granted that could just be because I've been playing PN2, but I've always had a lot of trouble hearing TTG Sam's voice in the comics, since the show was stylistically much closer to Mr. Purcell's art. This spiffy new model is working wonders for fixing that :D

Add Comment