User Avatar Image

PS3 Stuttering / momentary freezing

posted by Alhon on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

Just picked up PN2 for the PS3, and I'm getting a LOT of slowdown and stuttering in the game that's making it really unpleasant to play. Also, during an auto-save, It froze my system for the duration of the save process, causing an audio scratch while it was happening. Is there some way to alleviate this?

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Having the same issue here on my PS3. I own the game on Steam also, and haven't see the same issue there. Anybody have an idea of what's going on?

• User Avatar Image
    MattP Telltale Staff

Do you have PS+ and have cloud saves active?

• Yes, I do, both PS+ and Cloud Saves.

• While I have the option to Cloud save, I don't usually do it.

What happens to me is that either the game will momentarily freeze or begin to stutter during the saving process. I get the impression that the game can't properly progress until certain information is saved, so it either slows down or loops a bit.

• @MattP said: Do you have PS+ and have cloud saves active?

Thanks for responding Matt. I also have PS+ and cloud saves enabled.

Not certain if this is the direction you are headed in, but PS+ cloud saves are not real time. You setup your PS3 to upload the saves at a certain time. For example, mine is setup to upload between 4-6am. Hoping that helps somewhat.

• I unfortunately don't have PS+ and have the same problem. also deleted and redownloaded and had same problems still.

• User Avatar Image
    MattP Telltale Staff

Some hitching is normal during the save process, however we did not encounter regular slowdowns like you are specifying. You can try to Restore the File System and Rebuild the Database, which is especially helpful if you are running low on hard drive space. You can also try turning off dynamic themes or reinstalling the game content (your save should remain intact). Also, try to avoid skipping cutscenes or rapidly pressing buttons between hands. It is possible to experience the occassional long hitch or crash, more so during extended play times, but there's likely another underlying factor if these hitches occur regularly.

• @MattP said: Some hitching is normal during the save process, however we did not encounter regular slowdowns like you are specifying. You can try to Restore the File System and Rebuild the Database, which is especially helpful if you are running low on hard drive space. You can also try turning off dynamic themes or reinstalling the game content (your save should remain intact). Also, try to avoid skipping cutscenes or rapidly pressing buttons between hands. It is possible to experience the occassional long hitch or crash, more so during extended play times, but there's likely another underlying factor if these hitches occur regularly.

While I understand that you may not have had these issues, I along with other people have and issue with major stuttering and a lot of momentary freezing.
    I have had no problems with other games, including Back to the Future and the Walking Dead, and am annoyed and disappointed in this Telltale release.
    I have tried many of the things that you suggested, other than the file system rebuild, and think that if many people are having the same problem (google shows many complaints for both console versions of the game) it should be looked into more than a "well if it doesn't happen for us, then it must not be OUR game that is the problem."
    I came to the official forums looking for help and found more frustration instead.

• This pausing/freezing thing happens to me after every single hand. The Saving dialogue box appears on the lower right corner of the screen and the onscreen action freezes and the audio loops for a few seconds.

When it's really bad, the whole game will freeze but the system is still active because I can access the XMB. I find by waiting the few seconds for the game to save and then proceeding with the next hand helps but it's still very annoying.

• Matt, I just bought the game two hours ago and I'm experiencing massive stuttering, skipping, and what really REALLY made me mad was I was about two hands away from FINALLY winning my first tournament and the game froze. Completely. Tried to quit the game and my system crashed and reset itself. Just read your suggestions and I I gotta throw in my two cents...

I have 78GB of free space on my system. Having only a 1.5MB internet connection, the LAST thing I want to do is file restore and have to wait the weeks it's take to re-download the 70+GB of data I would need to recover. Not Happening.

Secondly, why is the game skipping, crashing, freezing, in the first place? Why are there hitches? Shouldn't they be, you know, non-existent?

Add Comment