User Avatar Image

Season 3 request

posted by splash1 on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

As a request for Season 3, I think you should control Sam using the arrow keys and the mouse. And pressing a key on the keyboard that allows Sam to run, and when pressing it again it makes him walk.

Oh, and playable Max.

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Point 'n Click makes you feel more immersed in the enviroments than using a keyboard to control everything. That's where I thought Escape from Monkey Island failed.

• WASD only works with the camera is in FP or TP. Any other way it could work is a 2d platformer. Anything else will destroy the game and feel claustrophobic.

• I'd been playing mouse based P'n'C adventure games for so long (Sam and Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, The Dig, even Monkey Island 3) that when I finally tried out Grim Fandango or MI4 I couldn't work out why I couldn't actually move the characters, the mouse did nothing!

Eventually I did discover the keyboard controls and they really really sucked. Hence I've not finished GF or MI4 at all, because they were too hard to control.

• Having to position the character correctly so he looks at an item to interact with it was just annoying.

• It's only worked for Grim Fandango, but only because Manny's head was considerably larger than Guybrush's, so you could actually see when he was looking at something. With Sam & Max, it just wouldn't work. It would be clumsy and irritating, as well as being completely unnecessary.

• It might even be more difficult to program, as well.

• @Mysterysheep said: It might even be more difficult to program, as well.

It's not difficult to program in since they were able to give us keyboard controls for the Desoto.

But that said, all the reasons above my post are good enough reasons why not to give keyboard controls to Sam.

• I really would be interested to know who dared to come up with the first WASD steering in a graphical adventure. Mostly you don't move were you want to, move slower, bump into something on your way or generally move in bezier zigzags. Unless you don't add some nice guiding system it's a pain. Point&click is so much better suited for these type of games and in both MI4 and Grim Fandango it ruined a part of the gaming experience.

My guess also was that they've done it because it might be easier to implement a WASD steering when they came up with the first 3D adventures but on a second thought it shouldn't make such a difference for someone who does this for a living, more complex yes but it's also not such a big issue.

• Bad idea! Bad idea! Cwaak! Wind in the sails! Wind in the sails!

• [quote]I really would be interested to know who dared to come up with the first WASD steering in a graphical adventure.[/quote]

Adventure games were keyboard controlled long before they were point & click. The first one that I know of is that used keyboard controls for navigation was the original King's Quest, which came out in 1984.

Add Comment