User Avatar Image

Telltale to Release Multiple Seasons Concurrently

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users
72 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Fawful: completely on your side. In every point.
    Just letting you know.

• User Avatar Image
    Blind Sniper Moderator

Even as someone who was introduced to point and click adventure gaming from Telltale who has since looked into the older games at times, I have to admit that Telltale has been shafting their older fanbase. Granted, I still like their newer titles as well, but I think Telltale would be better off trying to appeal to both fanbases instead of pursuing their new post-Walking Dead fanbase exclusively.

I will give Telltale some understanding in their choice because I imagine that outside of their old core fanbase, the mainstream adventure gaming community probably accused them of making watered down and "safe" point and click adventure games that did not take many risks outside of the episodic structure. To them, they probably saw those complaints as valid seeing how they cited during their poorly executed King's Quest cancellation that people focused more on details pertaining to retro King's Quest gameplay over the fact that they were even getting a new King's Quest. Additionally, I read on Chuck Jordan's blog (while talking about the LucasArts closure) that he avoided working on Tales of Monkey Island deliberately because he did not want to be the butt of disappointment from people who would be disappointed that they did not get the large scale, epic, retro Monkey Island that they wanted.

My guess is that they probably saw their story oriented titles as a break from trying to appeal to people who would criticize them no matter what they did because their small, episodic, "safe," manufactured 3-act puzzle games would never truly appeal to their retro fan base. They probably view their post-Walking Dead fan base as "seeing the forest for the tress" and are glad to have a larger fanbase who prefers the games for their stories instead of criticizing games over arbitrary details for not being retro/difficult enough.

To that extent, I can kind of support Telltale's rationale for their new direction. However, even though I am not directly apart of their old fanbase, I don't like how it is not enough for them to say that they are going in a new direction and that they borderline insult old adventure games in their interviews instead of simply acknowledging them as a different type of game for a different audience. I can understand why Telltale played it safe back in the early 2000's as point and click games were a huge risk back then, but things have changed now and adventure games are making a comeback. I'm not saying Telltale is stupid for not making hardcore retro games nowadays as that is not what they are about, but at the same time I think Telltale could stand to take more risks outside of the story telling department. Many new trends both inside and outside of Telltale (such as kickstarter and the success of Walking Dead) have opened people's eyes to adventure games, and Telltale would be smart to not burn their bridges with the retro fanbase even if they are currently not who Telltale is pursuing.

TL;DR: I kind of understand Telltale's choice as they probably view their old fanbase as people who complain about puzzles and lack of retro influence while their new, post-Walking Dead fanbase likely "sees the forest for the trees" in their eyes and likes them for focusing on the story over criticizing them for not being "adventurey" enough. However, Telltale has been burning bridges with their old fans instead of just moving on to a new audience, and it wouldn't hurt for Telltale to play it less safe and focus on both types of games.

• When I joined these forums, people were already bitching that Telltale wasn't good enough at adventure games. So yeah I don't particularly care if people don't like their current direction.

• I personally like the direction Walking Dead went as equal as the directions Tales/Sam and Max went. I honestly wish telltale would do both and rotate, instead of just picking one.

I'm more worried about some of the broken promises telltale have done/lack of communication. What the heck happened to Fables being at E3? Was Walking Dead $5 DLC really more important than your next game?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Gman5852 said: What the heck happened to Fables being at E3? Was Walking Dead $5 DLC really more important than your next game?

The Walking Dead: 400 Days is actually coming out first (next month!), so it was decided The Wolf Among Us should be allowed its own space at a later event.

• No offence puzzlebox but I think that it would have been smarter to have shown at least some of the bigger project at E3 one of the biggest if not the biggest gaming events. Just because in my opinion a TWD DLC will come first does not mean it deserves to be the only thing TTG should show.

• By the way, puzzlebox, did you speak with Disney Interactive yet... regarding you-know-what? ;)

• Lattesam if I had to take a guess, you're talking about Sam & Max Freelance Police?

• Okay, well... did you talk with them about THAT?

• User Avatar Image
    Blind Sniper Moderator

@Gman5852 said: I personally like the direction Walking Dead went as equal as the directions Tales/Sam and Max went. I honestly wish telltale would do both and rotate, instead of just picking one.

Pretty much this. I'm really looking forward to Walking Dead Season 2, Wolf Among Us, etc, but it would be nice to see Telltale pay attention to their roots as well.

Add Comment