User Avatar Image

Sony Playstation 4

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

Here is the PS4 Press Conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8KLN-l86o

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

For my part, I'm putting my money into Sony's camp, and hope that the XBox One is a colossal failure.

157 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I for one want all parties to have much success and earn much money and keep everyone employed and happy but okay if you want a whole division of a major company to fail

• @Ribs said: but okay if you want a whole division of a major company to fail

If that division consistently makes anti-consumer choices, then yes they deserve consistently negative consequences. I don't care how big the division or the company is. Why does it matter if it's a "whole division" or a "major company"? Does being large suddenly absolve something of having to deal with consequence?

Yes, I think the blunders being made for the One are worth catastrophic financial ruin. If the Xbox division ended up losing Microsoft millions and they had to shut the whole thing down I'd feel absolutely no remorse whatsoever.

• @Rather Dashing said: If that division consistently makes anti-consumer choices, then yes they deserve consistently negative consequences. I don't care how big the division or the company is. Why does it matter if it's a "whole division" or a "major company"? Does being large suddenly absolve something of having to deal with consequence?

Yes, I think the blunders being made for the One are worth catastrophic financial ruin. If the Xbox division ended up losing Microsoft millions and they had to shut the whole thing down I'd feel absolutely no remorse whatsoever.

Okay, well I don't feel that way seeing as they're just trying to make as much money as possible like any other company. Don't buy it if you don't want it but I don't think liking one thing should mean you want it's competitors to fail (nor should you like something's competitors if you don't like it)

• @Ribs said: Okay, well I don't feel that way seeing as they're just trying to make as much money as possible like any other company.

Yes, companies exist to make money.

That is not an excuse for anti-consumer behavior. That is an incentive AGAINST anti-consumer behavior. Consumers aren't OBLIGATED to buy something that goes against their interests just because the company producing that thing "just wants to make money". The company's JOB, or at least what is SUPPOSED to be the company's JOB, is to make money by providing something that the CONSUMER WOULD WANT TO PAY FOR.

Treating the consumer like an enemy or a parasite is a perversion of the natural capitalistic process and deserves to be punished.

Don't buy it if you don't want it but I don't think liking one thing should mean you want it's competitors to fail (nor should you like something's competitors if you don't like it)

No.

This isn't "I like Warner Bros. animation, so I hope Disney fails."

This isn't "I like Nintendo consoles, so I hope SONY and Microsoft fail."

This isn't "I like Jiff peanut butter, so I hope Peter Pan goes out of business."

This is "Microsoft is making horrible, anti-consumer choices, and they deserve market backlash as a direct consequence of those choices."

• They showed Tidus's face on a giant screen. That's evil. Microsoft didn't force people's cones and rods to take in that shitstain's dumb grin on a massive scale. I hope Sony collapses and everyone there loses their jobs for acknowledging that bondage clown Kurt Cobain exists.

• I don't like the direction Xbox One is going. To much focus on sports and television. I don't like the idea of having to sign in at least once a day. I don't like that I can't let friends borrow a game. Not really big on Kinect either, even though the new one does appear to be far more advanced and impressive. Still, it's not something I want.

If I had to choose, I would got with the PS4. But I won't be getting it at launch. I'll be sticking with my PS3 for a long while. By the time I finish my back log of games and trophy hunting the PS4 will be half price. Or, their be a new and better model of it on the market.

• You know who else kept people employed? The N...

Okay okay, seriously though. Just because you employ a lot of people doesn't mean you're doing good for consumers.

I'm still sitting this one out. It's PS2 all over again. I sat out the PS2/Xbox war until a game came out that blew me away... 2 years after the console debuted.

• @Secret Fawful said: They showed Tidus's face on a giant screen. That's evil.

I lol'ed irl.

I did also notice Tidus and wondered what the heck they were thinking by putting him there.

• Both will not get any money from me. I have my PC.

• To drag this back onto the originally intended topic...

The whole point of a video games console is that, shock horror, people primarily want to play games on it. The PS4, and to some extent the WiiU, both seem to be making very positive steps in that regard, with both high-budget (I don't like saying AAA any more, it's had some rather negative connotations lately) and Indie games being supported much more and both consoles offering more options for games - the WiiU has the 'innovative' controller and the PS4 has the touch screen on the controller.

By comparison, the XBone appears, so far, to be offering much LESS in the way of gaming. Not just in games, but in the way the console is being pushed. Less freedom to Indie game developers, less options for pre-owned games and new new options for the way the games control. Yes, there's the Kinect, but nobody LIKES the Kinect. This has been proven, so quite why they're forcing everyone to have one is an odd decision. Beyond that... there's nothing new here games-wise.

So yeah, it's easy to see why gamers are upset. The PS4 may not have blown everyone away, but at least it's trying something new while also opening the way for smaller devs to get into the scene. Is Microsoft? Nope.

I still won't get any of these consoles for quite some time - I've never been a day one buyer and nothing here seems to want to change my mind - but so far the PS4 and the WiiU have my attention far more than Microsoft.

Also, here's an abbreviated version of the PS4 conference.

Add Comment