User Avatar Image

Walking Dead: Game ruining bug (Choices not carrying over, Episode 4 -> Episode 5)

posted by JonathanAllenRay on - last edited - Viewed by 21.4K users

Hello, I've recently been enjoying The Walking Dead game and I just finished the fourth episode. However, there's a major problem. When I complete episode 4, it shows me that Kenny, Omid, and Christina will come with me. Everything is going as planned. It even shows me those three in the final stat screen. When I start episode 5, on the "previously" video, it shows everything correctly except when it shows Kenny choosing to come with you or not, he says "Why the hell you looking over here?" and has a red eye and cut on his face. When the episode starts, he's gone. Only Christina and Omid are with me. I've been on his good side the whole time, didn't fight him on the train, and additionally the game outright said he's coming with me. This is clearly a bug and I seriously need a fix. I'm playing the full version with all five parts bundled as one on Steam. I've verified my cache, but I haven't re-installed. I've also tried rewinding back to the latest point and choosing a few different dialogue choices. Still bugged. I tried rewinding back to the point just before, where you're talking to Vernon. Still bugged. I'm gravely upset about this and I would like to finish the series properly. It wouldn't be right to lose Kenny to a glitch that shouldn't happen. Thanks for helping in advance, and please no spoilers for episode 5.

Here's a picture proving the game said Kenny was coming.

http://imgur.com/BcGsbkg

102 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    TelltaleMike Telltale Staff

@TBlacksmith Please rename the prefs.prop file in

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104

To prefs.prop.bak, and restart the game, and you should be able to progress.

@kolsh Please rename the prefs.prop file in

/Users/Ben iMac/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/

to prefs.prop.bak and restart the game, and you should be able to progress.

• I tried renaming the file as you suggested, but still no save files are showing up.

• User Avatar Image

After looking over your support tool again, I'm seeing three prefs.prop files inside your

/Users/Ben iMac/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

folder. They are named prefs.prop, prefs.prop.bak, and prefs.prop.orig. Please move the second and third files to your desktop, as well as any other prefs.prop.bak files you may have, and then restart the game.

• I've put the prefs.prop.bak file and the prefs.prop.orig file on the desktop, as well as moving the prefs.prop.bak file we just renamed in the Contents/Resources/Pack/default/ folder to the desktop, but still the same issue.

• User Avatar Image

I would recommend trying each of the copies of the prefs.prop file that you've made by moving them to the Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/ folder, and renaming them to prefs.prop. One of them may be the correct one. It would be the one with the time stamp from which you last played the game and it saved successfully.

• I noticed that every time I tried to take reopen the Walking Dead, those old prefs files would be put back into the folder, until I turned off Steam Cloud Backup for the game. However, even after fixing this, none of the prefs.prop files result in showing up the save files, which leads me to believe that the Steam Cloud sync replaced my old file with one of the new, broken ones at some point along the line. Is there any way to create a new pref.prop file from scratch that will be able to read my save files?

• User Avatar Image

Unfortunately if you were unable to use one of your prefs.prop files, your save files will no longer be able to be used. I apologize for any difficulties this may cause you. I recommend starting a new playthrough with Steam Cloud saving disabled, and you will be able to progress successfully.

• Maybe the game shouldn't be sold via Steam....thanks for your help Mike, I do appreciate it, but that's a pretty bad bug amongst the multitude of others in this game. Steam Cloud is meant to protect my saves, and in this case, it has wrecked them. For the price of this commercial release, I don't think the technical issues have been properly addressed.

• Hi guys

I recently completed episode 4 with Kenny coming with me, upon starting episode 5 I found that Christa, Omid and Kenny were with me. Ben appeared unusual despite he was already dead in episode 4.

[http://www.sendspace.com/file/7ba7z6] (Here is the resulting data)

Add Comment