86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @fabi777 said: The walking dead. Tlou is just good graphics.

It's also a very emotional and compelling story. I found the death scenes in the game far more sad than the death scenes in TWD, for 2 reasons one the people look real so the facial expressions hit you harder when you see them crying etc and the voice acting.

For anyone that has played both games (not watched games being played on youtube since there is a big difference in being a spectator and influencing what is happening on screen), I ask you to consider the difference between the scene where duck dies and the scene at the end of TLOU prologue and ask you're self what is the hardest scene to watch(with honesty) Then compare the death of Carly to the scene at the capital building and lastly who could forget the scene just before the fall and how it compares to Kat's exit.

Personally I found Sarah's last scene to be more sad and powerful than the whole 5 episodes of twd combined and I spent far less time with that character. I say all this to say that the game is so much more than just good graphics. The game immerses you to the point where you feel you are actually there with these people, leaving you, at times paralysed with fear and filled with desperation. That all being said to each is own, we won't all like the samethings and won't all think the same about any one thing. That is just how I see the 2 games and the reasons why.

• @Bioshock Infinite WD said: I like all three, I just realized that best female character is going to be so hard to pick this year, Elizabeth, Ellie, Clementine, and someone else.

I wouldn't be surprised if it went to Johnson or Paige, but we will have to see.

• @loop hole said: For anyone that has played both games (not watched games being played on youtube since there is a big difference in being a spectator and influencing what is happening on screen), I ask you to consider the difference between the scene where duck dies and the scene at the end of TLOU prologue and ask you're self what is the hardest scene to watch(with honesty) Then compare the death of Carly to the scene at the capital building and lastly who could forget the scene just before the fall and how it compares to Kat's exit.

I'll bite. Honestly, Duck's death is more sad than Sarah's. Let's be honest here. From the immense marketing and exposure of characters that this game got before release, where was the mention of Sarah? No where. Who here actually expected the girl to live the whole game? As soon as she was shown, I had a feeling she'd be killed off. Duck on the other hand, was a moment of sadness for Kenny after seeing his wife kill herself. Did you feel more for Kenny's loss, or Joel's?

I will, however, say that Tess's death scene was infinitely more sadder than Carley. While no death in TLOU made me cry, I felt for Tess's departure in the game. The way she begged Joel to do something as her dying wish got me. On the other hand, I didn't find Carley's death to be sad. It was more of a really surprising moment. Most of the people who were extremely distraught over her death had feelings of, "OMG LEE AND CARLEY WER GOIN' TO GIT TOGETHER!" In reality, Carley's death wasn't that sad.

• @Zeruis said: I'll bite. Honestly, Duck's death is more sad than Sarah's. Let's be honest here. From the immense marketing and exposure of characters that this game got before release, where was the mention of Sarah? No where. Who here actually expected the girl to live the whole game? As soon as she was shown, I had a feeling she'd be killed off. Duck on the other hand, was a moment of sadness for Kenny after seeing his wife kill herself. Did you feel more for Kenny's loss, or Joel's?

I will, however, say that Tess's death scene was infinitely more sadder than Carley. While no death in TLOU made me cry, I felt for Tess's departure in the game. The way she begged Joel to do something as her dying wish got me. On the other hand, I didn't find Carley's death to be sad. It was more of a really surprising moment. Most of the people who were extremely distraught over her death had feelings of, "OMG LEE AND CARLEY WER GOIN' TO GIT TOGETHER!" In reality, Carley's death wasn't that sad.

He hates Kenny check his posts .
    Also , Carley death was sad too Ok ? No need to compare their deaths . Her death was sad because She and Doug were the only people who always trusted Lee and helped him .

• kinda silly to ask this in the wallking dead forum, don't you think?

• I can confidently say that these two were the best games I've played this year. Which one is the better one? Well that's extremely tough to decide. Both have their ups and downs for me.

When it comes to the main character pair, I have to give it to the Last of Us. I absolutely loved Joel's portrayal by Troy Baker and not even Dave Fennoy's Lee was able to outshine it. And while I loved Clementine, Ellie was a deeper character and (to me) even more likable. That might have to do with her being 6 years older, so it's not really a fair competition.

However, the Walking Dead crushes the Last of Us when it comes to side characters. WD made me bond with the characters on a personal level. In TLoU the characters, while well written and voice acted, are still just background and I didn't care about a single one. So that brings it to a tie.

In terms of mechanics, the Last of Us wins from a technical perspective hands down- the graphics are absolutely amazing and the gameplay is a great mix between interactivity and cinematicness (is that even a word?). However, WD offered us interactive (to a point) story, so it felt personal, while TLoU is completely linear, so, despite being the game with more actual gameplay, it feels more like watching a movie, with little control over what happens on the screen. So that, again, brings me to a tie.

As for the rest of stuff- the voice acting, the sound, the music, the atmosphere- are brilliant in both games and it's only a matter of preference. Myself I prefer the quasi-realistic setting of TLoU and the fungus infected only a liiiitle more over the walking corpses. But TWD nails its particular niche very well also, so it would be unfair to give TLoU a point based only on my taste. Which brings me to a final result...

A solid TIE.

• What the hell is the last of us?

• It doesn't have Nate in it, it sucks. Don't worry your head about it, mate.

• @Velociraptorius said: It doesn't have Nate in it, it sucks. Don't worry your head about it, mate.

Thanks, amigo

• @master psychic said: He hates Kenny check his posts .
    Also , Carley death was sad too Ok ? No need to compare their deaths . Her death was sad because She and Doug were the only people who always trusted Lee and helped him .

I will agree that Duck beat that one scene in Last Of Us, but I will say that Carley was sad, not in the way it happened, but to who it did happen to.

Add Comment