User Avatar Image

Two hours? I pray this is a mistake...

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2006/051206_e3_day2_chris_1.x

"Each two-hour episode will see Sam & Max solve a complete case, with an overarching storyline tying the episodes together and culminating in a season finale-like grand finish."

I mean come on, two hours? Are these episodes going to cost $5.00? I just don't understand this.

At least someone tell me they will have puzzles in them to stump players right? Its not going to be a cake-walk ala Bone is it? I'm royally confused as to why these episodes are going to be so short.

The original Sam 'n Max game was short too, but at least it stumped the player with puzzles and figuring out what to do. In fact some of the game could take days to figure out, it depended on the player. Will these episodes include such puzzles?

It almost seems to me that you want to sell an interactive (barely by the sounds of it) cartoon rather than a series of adventure games.

119 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I am not surprised. The FAQ said that the episodes will be "shorter than The Great Cow Race". Considering that Bone 2 lasts 5 hours, I assumed each S&M installment would be half as long (more or less). But they will be published more often than Bone episodes are. In addition, the "season concept" allows players who don't like episodic publishing to buy the whole season when it's over. If the season includes - e.g. - 7 episodes, you'll get a 14 hours adventuring experience: nowadays this is the length of an average adventure game, which often doesn't feature the same amount of animations a Telltale game does and often requires more than a year to get made anyway.
    Diduz (Italy)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Yeah 2 hours is extremely short. If thats how short they are then i'll probably buy it at the end of the season or something. I really REALLY hope that it's not more of an "interactive cartoon" than an adventure...Thats really why i don't enjoy Bone.I have confidence in TT though that they will be able to deliver...

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

In order for these episodes to be truly worth it they are going to have jam pack each episode with puzzles and humour, because even once the 'season' is done I couldn't see myself buying it just to "watch" Sam'n Max rather than play it. :(

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

This is my biggest worry, even more so than the voices.

So there's less play time but we wait less for the next one.

The flipside of this is: that also means less development time, a set schedule for Telltale to adhere to, and so the games will be RUSHED. Just look at any film licensed games that come out the same time as the film for an example as to how rushed they can be.

And also, this will totally destroy two of my favourite things about adventure games: solving tricky, difficult puzzles and exploring. How much of either can appear in a 2 hour long game? There wasn't much in The Great Cow Race, and that was 5 hours.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Depending on the pricing, the short playtime itself doesn't so much concern me, but the effect it may have on opportunities for exploration does somewhat. I'm willing to give Telltale the benefit of the doubt though, and wait for the first couple of episodes before I make any judgements.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

the length doesnt concern me considering we will be getting episodes a lot quicker.. What does concern me as other people have said is the difficulty.. in all my favorite adventure games including sam and max: hit the road.. theres been puzzles thats taken me days even weeks to figure it out.. is it 2 hours of gameplay if you figure out everything within 5 seconds? I do want to be challenged.. I do want to be playing a game..figuring out the puzzles is the greatest thing.. if its very easy and you just play through a story in 2 hours that will be disappointing :(

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

2 hours eh? Since they compared it to The Great Cow Race, I'd like to know how the length compares to say Out From Boneville? I REALLY hope these games don't end up pitifully brief and easy... What's the fun of exploring and solving puzzles if it's over in a flash? I don't see myself being able to wait for the whole season and play it at once either, it was bad enough waiting to see where Sam & Max went after the Lucas Arts fiasco.

• [quote]The flipside of this is: that also means less development time, a set schedule for Telltale to adhere to, and so the games will be RUSHED. Just look at any film licensed games that come out the same time as the film for an example as to how rushed they can be.[/quote]

On the other hand, TV shows have been following this sort of schedule since the dawn of television.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

A very, very different beast to videogames, and you know that!

I'm just after one thing: knowledge that the whole series will basically be completed before the first episode hits: that's what TV shows do. The final time between episodes should be pretty much for bug-testing and polishing only.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Seriously. I wont buy a game that is too easy. Come on, you want to revive the adventure game genre, what do you think made it popular?

The combination of a good story, atmosphere, jokes AND the great feeling that the player achieves when he or she has managed to solve a really really hard puzzle.

The puzzles can't be easier than those in Curse of Monkey Island. If that's the case, I prefer replaying the good ol' Hit the Road.

Add Comment