User Avatar Image

Rate the last book you read!

posted by ryannumber1gamer on - last edited - Viewed by 8.5K users

First This thread is based on the Rate the last game you finished & Rate the last movie you watched thread (Duh :p) Well we have a thread about rating movies and games so I thought it would be nice to have one for rating books as well. To make this clear its every kind of book. It can be a novel, It can be a Graphic Novel, It even be a comic book. I'm not sure which was the last book I read but I think it was Batman:Hush so.....

Batman:Hush 10/10

This is one of my favourite Batman graphic novels. The story is really good with Batman's enemies beginning to use new tactics which Batman notices does not fit the villain for example Poison Ivy brainwashes Catwoman to work for her. Batman is badly hurt during a chase causing one of Bruce Wayne's oldest friends Dr.Tomas Elliot to come and help him. Eventually its revealed that a new villain named Hush is the person who has been using the villains. The artwork is excellent in the novel and the story was great. There is also some great plot twists in it as well.

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I had this discussion with my sister the other day, and I was shocked to realise that I can't actually remember the last book I read. I can remember reading "A final Odyssey" this time last year, but that's it. I can remember reading 6 or 7 books since, but I have no idea what they were.

• The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969 (Alan Moore) - 7/10

Decent enough, but League has never been my favorite of Moore's works. It seems to have become very dense with esoteric literary references that you feel lost for not catching. I guess that would be fine if I liked the stories better. I also have always hated the art in the series.

This one even has "Harry Potter" characters as well as some references to HBO's The Wire. I am definitely looking forward to reading the 2009 volume, as I should be much more familiar with the references.

• Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler, 8/10

Awesome '30s mystery book. I heard there was a movie adaptation with the awesome Robert Mitchum as Marlowe, but I haven't seen it yet. Very exciting detective story, nonetheless. After I finished it I bought The Big Sleep, which is the first book in the Phil Marlowe series, with Farewell being the second, I think. Gonna start that one soon.

• @JuntMonkey said: I guess that would be fine if I liked the stories better. I also have always hated the art in the series.

This explains why I never got into the series. There's just something about dat art...

Last read the supplementary booklet from American McGee's Alice, which is the diary of the doctor treating her. God I miss when games had these sorts of things - it's a really well-written extra and does a lot to help set the scene for the game. Wish I had an iPhone so I could play the one they did for Madness Returns.

I'm searching for a better version online, but for now you can read it on the Wiki.

EDIT: PDF version.

• Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Red Wings And The Lost Heroes Of SEAL Team 10 10/10

• er oh god what have I read since Polk?

Geek Tragedy - 5/5
    Death is Forever - 3/5
    Destiny of the Republic; Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President - 5/5
    DVD Extras Include: Murder - 5/5

Add Comment